Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California waiting room Q3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately it’s looking like by the time Tesla gets their act together others will have caught up to the technology. This is quickly becoming just a stop gap car for me while Mercedes figures out electric.

Not to take this thread too far off topic. Competition is a healthy thing. I'll be patient and polite when dealing with someone as I understand that things can go wrong, but I'll call BS and incompetence when I see it and I'll make sure that I take it to the top of the chain. I'm always willing to work with someone, but I won't be made an idiot of.

Unfortunately it’s looking like by the time Tesla gets their act together others will have caught up to the technology. This is quickly becoming just a stop gap car for me while Mercedes figures out electric.

In a nutshell, they have one factory pumping out cars for most of the world. Once several factories are taking the load off Fremont, they’ll have time for quality control. Right now, every Tesla employee is delivering cars to Bay Area owners’ homes. There’s no way they can do thorough prep on so many cars at the end of a quarter. Question is, can they open new factories before competition is in high gear.

Tesla is stating that doing any pickup will delay delivery which frankly is BS

It does speed up delivery from their perspective. Delivery to Tesla means the customer has paid and accepted delivery. By doing home deliveries in the bay are, they won’t deliver until you pay. Then, they don’t tell you when they’re coming... they drop it off and run. Then, you can’t access the vehicle for inspection until you go to your account and click “accept delivery”. By the time you inspect the car, the driver has Uber’d back to the factory and they’re delivering another car.

Last edited:
It does speed up delivery from their perspective. Delivery to Tesla means the customer has paid and accepted delivery. By doing home deliveries in the bay are, they won’t deliver until you pay. Then, they don’t tell you when they’re coming... they drop it off and run. Then, you can’t access the vehicle for inspection until you go to your account and click “accept delivery”. By the time you inspect the car, the driver has Uber’d back to the factory and they’re delivering another car.

Exactly my biggest concern. If this means I have to forfeit a lousy grant of 1000 supercharging miles and wait until after the quarter is closed then so be it. With that said, looks like there is a wide gamut of folks here. Some have stated minor issues, and others like yourself have had some pretty bad experiences.

I got the 4-8 days text on the 22nd. The funny thing is still no VIN. My TA says he sees nothing in the system. Personally I’m in no hurry to get it. But 8 days is the 30th. I’d figure to have heard something by now. I’ve seen reports of carrier loads coming south.

I’m just wondering how many are replacements for rejected cars for just being lousy. I mean the fit and finish of some of these is down right scary in their hurry to crank them out. It’s like they are throwing pieces together and don’t even look to be checked out by someone competent. Then you see others which are as close to perfect, I mean a few things that can be fixed or cleaned during a SC visit.

I’m holding out hope it’s the latter for me or just get it in October.

I got the 4-8 days text on the 22nd. The funny thing is still no VIN. My TA says he sees nothing in the system. Personally I’m in no hurry to get it. But 8 days is the 30th. I’d figure to have heard something by now. I’ve seen reports of carrier loads coming south.

Same here. Was cool headed and prepared for the 6-10 week delivery, then the text on the 22nd of 4-8 days got my hopes up. I fear if they don't have something to rush deliver by the end of the quarter, then it will go back to the end of Oct / Nov estimate. It's silly but this car means a lot to me for many reasons. No news by tomorrow probably means that's it for now.

Reactions: alexcue
3C1FD91D-897D-4835-BBEA-16567AA3116C.jpeg
D308070D-956D-4DE1-BC2B-6CAF0D974D6C.jpeg
686DABEE-E406-4F87-B3E9-E8DB25BB069B.jpeg
Hey guys I picked up my LR white on white MY with 20” induction’s today at the dublin delivery center today and i must say after reading this forum for days on days before my delivery date made me nervous about quality for no reason. I spent about an hour looking over it and found nothing! No panel gaps or alignment issues. The customer service her is also A++. My only complaint was my battery was only charged to 74% but they let me sit at a super charger there for free and fill up while i looked over it more. Feel free to ask questions:)

also it was fresh off the line! So many model Y’s there half waiting to be assigned

Vin: 56xxx

Attachments

• 43DE6608-2E49-4DC7-9A90-1C69403B666A.jpeg
    43DE6608-2E49-4DC7-9A90-1C69403B666A.jpeg
    371.2 KB · Views: 46
  • DF99AFC7-4768-4F15-B6D5-E6D0E19F499D.jpeg
    DF99AFC7-4768-4F15-B6D5-E6D0E19F499D.jpeg
    819.4 KB · Views: 49
Reactions: Wrcthree
Just wanted to close the loop on my order and provide positive vibes.

9/14 Order (White on White, Induction, Tow, No FSD)
9/22 MVPA / VIN in account (56xxx)
9/23 MVPA disappeared
9/24 Text to Schedule Delivery (still no MVPA)
9/25 Text for early Delivery (today) but couldn't make it
9/26 3PM Delivery

Spent about 1:15 going through everything with the Wifey, all employees we interacted with were helpful and pleasant. You can tell they're used to this, there were several people with checklists doing what we were doing. In the end, we had 2 issues:
  1. Rear seats aren't aligned so they won't collapse
  2. Rear Driver while visually aligned takes excessive force to close -- Hoping they can adjust without misaligning the door

Mobile appointment set for both issues this week, life is good. Wife actually said "Do people get anything else after they get a Tesla?"

Pickup went smoothly, all the employees @ Marina Del Ray were great.
VIN 56,XXX
Front doors slightly inset from rocker panels on both sides (along with every other MY on the lot), front passenger door handle seems slightly inset. I could not care less, and I don't plan to bother service with any of it. The car is awesome :)
92620.jpg

Congrats to you all! Just proves they ARE capable of assembling these cars correctly. I can’t understand how my car and these great specimens came off the same line built by the same people.

Yea I dont understand it either man. Honestly I was walking up to my car expecting the worse! But couldn't even find a spec of dust. The guy next to me could find anything wrong with his either.

• Informative
Reactions: alexcue
This is crazy. I literally live an hour from anything(cell phone signal, stores, uber) and I'm 2.5 hours from the factory. I don't know how its getting here. Tesla chat just confirmed...
In this and some other threads folks have mentioned that the person delivering their car said they were software engineers or other roles for Tesla. Sounds like it's all hands delivering cars for end of quarter.

Picked up today VIN 57XXX. I was relieved with the overall quality of my MSM performance Y. There was some minor issues but not enough for me to reject delivery. Panel gaps were pretty good except for the fronk issue below.

-Right side fronk is higher than the left
-Window trim of the left passenger loose
-Black sticky rubber protruding above driver interior trim
-A scratch behind drivers seat
-Dirt smuges on interior trim
-Back right passenger seat does not fold when pulling the release button

Screen Shot 2020-09-27 at 10.07.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-27 at 10.07.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-27 at 10.07.24 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-27 at 10.07.36 PM.png

In this and some other threads folks have mentioned that the person delivering their car said they were software engineers or other roles for Tesla. Sounds like it's all hands delivering cars for end of quarter.
An intern is going to drive 5 hours round trip for one car? You can’t even call an Uber out here.

Tesla is burning the midnight oil. Literally just got off the phone with Fremont factory and just plopped down a huge chunk of change for down payment.

Tesla scheduled my pickup time at the Irvine location on 9/29 at 8 PM, which seems a bit late. I thought 7 PM was the last window. I’m also concerned that there won’t be any sunlight to let me get a good look at the paint. For those who’ve picked up at Irvine, how has your experience been?

I can only reschedule for the following day at the latest to take advantage of the free 1,000 miles of supercharging.