Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California waiting room Q3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered last Wednesday (9/3). I see a VIN popped up on my Account when I logged in today (59xxx), although it won't let me get an insurance quote yet. No actual notification from Tesla that I have a VIN now, it just appears in my Account.
Amazing. I ordered on 9/6, no VIN, you ordered on the 23rd (if you meant 'last Wednesday' that's the 23rd not 3rd) and get a VIN immediately!

Amazing. I ordered on 9/6, no VIN, you ordered on the 23rd (if you meant 'last Wednesday' that's the 23rd not 3rd) and get a VIN immediately!

If you're in reasonable range of the factory and place an order, (and there's a car matching your specs) they text you quickly asking if you're available to accept delivery and BAM... they bring it to your door. Where these cars come from is interesting as they're close to building 60,xxx vins at this point. I would not be shocked if they kept a supply that don't need to be shipped (for locals) on hand which may explain the lower VIN numbers? Just speculating. Every other car on the road here in Silicon Valley is a Tesla.

There was a youtuber who posted about this. Originally he opted to finance his MY and then plans changed so he updated his account to cash payment. A day or two later he was assigned a VIN and took delivery. Tesla is likely trying to do 2 things: hit record number of deliveries as well has line their bank accounts with cold hard cash. Don't blame them, but sucks for customers who have been waiting for weeks if not months

That is absolutely appalling. If I were in your shoes, I'd be sending Elon Musk a certified letter with those pictures asking him if this was acceptable and if indeed the "Senior Manager of Body Engineering" actually checked this. As a Tesla shareholder, I am truly flabbergasted at this level of incompetence. I placed a reservation for a MY last week and I'm hoping that by the time I get around to taking delivery in 6 months or so, that a lot of these issues will have been ironed out.

Things won't change in 6 months with regard to stamping, paint, assembly. Do yourself a favor and watch this video from Sandy Munro about the Fremont factory and quality. It's the factory. He talked about how in most modern factories, if anyone finds something wrong on the line, they push a big red button and the entire line stops so they can fix it or slap somebody for screwing up. The line doesn't stop in Fremont. The let the car go and fix what they can or delegate it to the service department. There are Model S built today after 8 years in production with the same issues. He talks about an owner bringing a new Model S to a body shop to fix the issues and it came out looking amazing. When Sandy talked to the guys at the shop and asked how they did it... well, watch it yourself. Fascinating video!

Sandy Munro Thinks Tesla Fremont Paint Shop Is A Piece Of Rubbish

Last edited:
I'm just impressed that you all have folks at Tesla providing updates. I've tried emailing the Sales Advisor who helped me originally and texting back the number delivering updates (and asking me to text back with questions) and crickets. Still excited to hopefully maybe take delivery in the next day or two, but unfortunate that this part of the process is subpar.

Just got an update. "Your car is almost ready. I'm making them ensure perfection". I really hope they were able to correct the issues. I feel I've given them the opportunity to make things right but let them know - in the interest of transparency - that the doors are something I'll see every time I walk up to the car and had I seen them (along with the other issues) at a conventional delivery, I would most likely have rejected the car. I also reminded the contact at the factory (nicely) that yesterday they told me all body panels (including the doors) were "inspected by the Sr Manager of body engineering who said they passed and were within spec."

Needless to say, I'm a nervous wreck about taking delivery again. Appreciate any/all thoughts and advice.

ordered my MY on 08/30, no Vin yet, for Costa Mesa pickup.

got a text on 9/9 saying the car will be ready for delivery 2-3 weeks from that day, which the 30th will be the end of the 3rd week for me.
last week, my SA and Online chat both told me to expect delivery by the end of September, but its already the 28th and still no updates.

MSM / Blk, Gimini/ no tow, and im leasing.

Should i still hoping it will be delivery soon?
Anyone for Costa Mesa pick up?? what was the experience?

Looks like I lost my delivery slot at Dublin. It's been replaced by the 2am placeholder.

Edit: It was followed up by a text that they've switched me back to home delivery, AGAIN, "for my convenience." :mad: I'm not paying or accepting delivery until I've seen it. I guess we'll see what happens now. I said I’d pick up at any of the 3 local delivery centers.

Last edited:
Just got an update. "Your car is almost ready. I'm making them ensure perfection". I really hope they were able to correct the issues. I feel I've given them the opportunity to make things right but let them know - in the interest of transparency - that the doors are something I'll see every time I walk up to the car and had I seen them (along with the other issues) at a conventional delivery, I would most likely have rejected the car. I also reminded the contact at the factory (nicely) that yesterday they told me all body panels (including the doors) were "inspected by the Sr Manager of body engineering who said they passed and were within spec."

Needless to say, I'm a nervous wreck about taking delivery again. Appreciate any/all thoughts and advice.

I sincerely hope that this time around they deliver what you should have received in the first place. You have been patient enough. At the end of the day, whatever the outcome, I would still encourage you to provide feedback to Elon's office in a certified letter. While Elon himself won't reply, it should get his office's attention. In fact the more people that do this, the more Elon and Tesla cannot excuse the poor QC and service.

IMG_2497.jpeg

Just back from my whirlwind unscheduled pick up and $130 Uber to Tesla Fremont with a 4 year old in tow. Super easy pick up had the AC blasting 30 mins before pick up to really test it. Was +100F in the parking lot and it was chilly in the car.

Car was literally just built it still had protective covers on the sunshade mirrors, the screen had a hug plastic tab on it. No gaps and everything is looking good to my eye. Would say its on par with my 2020 Model 3 for fit and finish.

Things of note the frunk seems extra fragile(bendy) compared to the M3, I won't be using it that much. It's really the fat brother of the M3. Drove 100 miles back home then jumped into the M3 to run errand(was down to 10% in the Y) and you really notice the handling difference. The space inside is well worth it and the hatch love the hatch.

Only real complaint and I set up a home visit was a slash on the steering wheel.
IMG_2499.jpeg

IMG_2513.jpeg

Model Y vs. Model 3
IMG_2514.jpeg