Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California waiting room Q3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m in Oakland and original pickup location was Burlingame they emailed 2 weeks ago and said it needed to be switched to Serramonte and to plan for last two weeks of September.

I ordered 8/12 and no vin yet! Still says 3-7 weeks from order date on my account and 7 weeks passed on 9/30 with no update at all.

Long range AWD BLK/BLK 20” wheels, tow hitch + FSD.

Any theories why mine is taking so much longer? If I call SA what is best strategy to get matched to a vehicle with different config?

Been lurking for awhile just monitoring if there is any rhyme or reason to timing of VIN and delivery. Ordered on 9/23 with 5-9 week estimate from time to order. Yesterday, I reached out to the SA and asked if they needed anything from me. Completed all the steps on 9/23/20. Replied that the 5-9 week window from order was still the estimate, but it could happen sooner.

This morning, a VIN popped up on the account.

Ordered: 9/23/2020
Type: MSM, Long Range, 20", Tow Hitch, No FSD
VIN: 597XX, showed up in the portal on 10/2 after emailing SA if they needed anything.

I'm not certain if this is true or not, but looks like the SAs are the ones who can help with matching. I had to push my SA everyday for a match though you would think this process should be automated...but doesn't seem to be the case since my SA was saying if I didn't want Vehicle X then some other SA may snatch it and assign it to another customer

Been lurking for awhile just monitoring if there is any rhyme or reason to timing of VIN and delivery. Ordered on 9/23 with 5-9 week estimate from time to order. Yesterday, I reached out to the SA and asked if they needed anything from me. Completed all the steps on 9/23/20. Replied that the 5-9 week window from order was still the estimate, but it could happen sooner.

VIN: 597XX, showed up in the portal on 10/2 after emailing SA if they needed anything.

I ordered a week before you and have no VIN at this point. I did get the 4-8 day text on the 22nd, but nothing since. I finally did what you did and said "hey, need anything else from me?" Let's see what they come back with. They have been pretty responsive, but it's usually we have nothing to add at this point. But I do appreciate that they take the time to answer me.

config is in my sig, but only difference is the 19" tires i have on order. Burbank is my SC

I also ordered on 9/23 and got a 59xxx VIN. Same config as you, minus the tow hitch. Only difference is my original estimate was 3-6 weeks. Weird.

I ordered a week before you and have no VIN at this point. I did get the 4-8 day text on the 22nd, but nothing since. I finally did what you did and said "hey, need anything else from me?" Let's see what they come back with. They have been pretty responsive, but it's usually we have nothing to add at this point. But I do appreciate that they take the time to answer me.

config is in my sig, but only difference is the 19" tires i have on order. Burbank is my SC

Mine still has the 5-9 week estimate still, just with a VIN. The email yesterday was the first one I sent since the order date, so have not really been in contact with them. They do seem responsive though since the reply came within the hour. Yesterday's reply didn't give any more info other than the 5-9 week estimate, but seemed to have trigger the VIN showing up this morning. I haven't received any texts or updates on delivery, so just figuring it's a pre-production assignment. We'll see if it sticks. There's no VPA agreement or anything yet. Hope it works out for you.

Reactions: alexcue
Hi everyone - New to the forum, but have had a Model S 85D since 2015. We love the Model S, but decided it was time to give it up and order a Model Y yesterday after a test drive. What a great car! (Long range, blue, black wheels)

I was wondering if anyone was tracking whether the car they receive has the single piece rear underbody from the new Giga Press. It appears from some online posts that they were making the parts as early as September, but I wasn't sure when they'd make it into the vehicles.

Thanks!

I'm not certain if this is true or not, but looks like the SAs are the ones who can help with matching. I had to push my SA everyday for a match though you would think this process should be automated...but doesn't seem to be the case since my SA was saying if I didn't want Vehicle X then some other SA may snatch it and assign it to another customer

I 100% agree with this but not sure if these SAs are incentivized to do VIN matching for customer. That said, I don't think I could get a car before quarter end if I didn't press my SA to active VIN matching with a different color. I had the car delivered within 4 hours after a VIN matched on 9/29. Crazy.

Hi y'all. Happy update for me; I'm getting the car tomorrow.

I went to the showroom today and spoke with a salesperson and a delivery manager. Be pleasant and kind throughout, while making your case. Remember that they are people working a frustrating job, and many things are out of their control.

By checking in in-person, and being patient, we got them to offer to check the status of our Model Y. They found that it was pretty much ready except for the detailing, but the detailing team had just gone home for the day. The manager then slotted us in for tomorrow and prioritized our car. They also resolved a few weird quirks with our account ("Strange, there's a bunch of contradictory notes here..."). We saw the changes on our end shortly, and now we're scheduled for tomorrow.

I get that these are expensive cars, and it can be frustrating to not get it when promised. We had to rent a car this weekend because they missed their own dates, and communicated poorly. Even the largest and most efficient companies are run by people, and mistakes happen. Be kind, be understanding, and be firm. This will get you a long way.

Mine is still at the factory being "repaired" and finally got an update today that it might be ready tomorrow but they had to order parts. Odd, since it's at the factory. Wonder what parts? BTW, tomorrow is the 7th day since I had it for 10 mins Saturday. I asked that the 7-day clock be reset to when I actually have it in my possession. The response was "will have to verify with corporate".

View attachment 594357

jmatero - how did you net out? Curious to know if you rejected and are back in line for a new vehicle?

jmatero - how did you net out? Curious to know if you rejected and are back in line for a new vehicle?

So, this was - by FAR - the worst purchase experience EVER.

In our last episode, I was approaching 1-week since they took it back a second time to correct some pretty major issues on the exterior. I let them know that I wanted a new car at this point or if mine was repaired to my satisfaction, a new 7 day trial from the date I actually get the car.

They made it clear another 7 day trial was out of the question because from their standpoint, they were doing me a favor in correcting the issues at the factory vs me having to make a service appointment some time in the future. Uh, ok. They also said they were done and I could come up to the factory and the car would be in stall-2 ready for pickup. We drove up as quickly as possible to inspect the car before it got too dark and there were at least 7 other MY waiting to be picked up. On the way up, we reviewed the repair invoice and turns out they replaced the hood, both front doors, one headlight, one tail light, one side mirror trim, and the entire rear bumper. No mention of any of the interior items being fixed.

When we got there, we looked over the car with a fine toothed comb and I'm happy to report:
  • Both front doors almost completely flush with rear doors and all doors aligned beautifully.
  • The hood was replaced and perfectly aligned.
  • The damaged headlight was replaced and both were sitting perfectly flush with the bumper.
  • The rough, jagged body seams visible from the side under the hatch (when closed) were MUCH better.
  • The damage to the paint by the door striker was repaired beautifully.
  • The overall condition of the exterior (body panel gaps, door alignment) was better than any of the other MYs we inspected which tells me Tesla CAN get fantastic door/hood/hatch alignment and consistent panel gaps BUT it may require replacement of entire body panels - something the service centers are just not equipped to handle (nor is Tesla willing to pay for so I consider myself lucky). What's the deal with quality control and their stampings???
  • The rear hatch at the bumper seems pulled in more on the drivers side than the passenger side. However, EVERY car there looked exactly the same so I'm not concerned.
The interior, however wasn't touched so multiple trim panels are incorrectly installed, several aren't even attached, the ceiling has scratches and smudges, and there are new small chips in the paint by one of the door strikes. Also, when we looked the next day in the sun, during the process of replacing the rear bumper, they failed to install all of the fasteners so there are some gaps between the black and painted trim around the rear wheels. These are all things that the service folks can't say "it's within spec" so I'm confident they can fix them all.

All that said, I took the car home and immediately made a service appointment to repair the outstanding items. My appointment is next week so I'm hoping this saga will be over soon.

IMG_1332.jpeg IMG_1333.jpeg IMG_1334.jpeg IMG_1327.jpeg IMG_1328.jpeg IMG_1329.jpeg IMG_1331.jpeg IMG_1335.jpeg

Last edited:
So, this was - by FAR - the worst purchase experience EVER.

In our last episode, I was approaching 1-week since they took it back a second time to correct some pretty major issues on the exterior. I let them know that I wanted a new car at this point or if mine was repaired to my satisfaction, a new 7 day trial from the date I actually get the car.

They made it clear another 7 day trial was out of the question because from their standpoint, they were doing me a favor in correcting the issues at the factory vs me having to make a service appointment some time in the future. Uh, ok. They also said they were done and I could come up to the factory and the car would be in stall-2 ready for pickup. We drove up as quickly as possible to inspect the car before it got too dark and there were at least 7 other MY waiting to be picked up. On the way up, we reviewed the repair invoice and turns out they replaced the hood, both front doors, one headlight, one tail light, one side mirror trim, and the entire rear bumper. No mention of any of the interior items being fixed.

When we got there, we looked over the car with a fine toothed comb and I'm happy to report:
  • Both front doors almost completely flush with rear doors and all doors aligned beautifully.
  • The hood was replaced and perfectly aligned.
  • The damaged headlight was replaced and both were sitting perfectly flush with the bumper.
  • The rough, jagged body seams visible from the side under the hatch (when closed) were MUCH better.
  • The damage to the paint by the door striker was repaired beautifully.
  • The overall condition of the exterior (body panel gaps, door alignment) was better than any of the other MYs we inspected which tells me Tesla CAN get fantastic door/hood/hatch alignment and consistent panel gaps BUT it may require replacement of entire body panels - something the service centers are just not equipped to handle (nor is Tesla willing to pay for so I consider myself lucky). What's the deal with quality control and their stampings???
  • The rear hatch at the bumper seems pulled in more on the drivers side than the passenger side. However, EVERY car there looked exactly the same so I'm not concerned.
The interior, however wasn't touched so multiple trim panels are incorrectly installed, several aren't even attached, the ceiling has scratches and smudges, and there are new small chips in the paint by one of the door strikes. Also, when we looked the next day in the sun, during the process of replacing the rear bumper, they failed to install all of the fasteners so there are some gaps between the black and painted trim around the rear wheels. These are all things that the service folks can't say "it's within spec" so I'm confident they can fix them all.

All that said, I took the car home and immediately made a service appointment to repair the outstanding items. My appointment is next week so I'm hoping this saga will be over soon.

View attachment 595681 View attachment 595682 View attachment 595683 View attachment 595685 View attachment 595687 View attachment 595691 View attachment 595692 View attachment 595693

Glad you actually have a car now. Based on the pics, the interior issues should be easy for the SC to fix. Hope you reach a point fairly quickly where you can enjoy and take pride in your car!

Reactions: jmatero
Picked up ours today. Got a text around noon that it was all ready at the factory. Hopped in an ride, and spent an hour and a half going through the checklist and any items picked up browsing the forums. Found a couple issues: taillights not sitting totally flush and one panel in the trunk looks like it was bowed out or missing a clip. Doors, gaps, paint, etc. looked great. Car was clean so got a good look in the sun.

Did have a question about the sound the frunk made when opened, and went into the showroom to take a look at an exemplar. My frunk made a loud sound when opening. Tech demoed the one in the showroom and it made the exact sound so that was good to go. They were helpful there just letting me compare mine to the one in the showroom. It all checked out.

Pointed out a the lights and trim to them and they said to make the service appointment and it’ll get fixed. Got an appointment about two weeks out

Overall it felt like a smooth process. A lot of other people dissecting the cars in the parking lot but seemed like everyone was happy with them and drove off. That first drive home was fun. Thanks for all your help.

Reactions: Fred42
Ordered LR-Blue-Black-19-Hitch on 2nd October, got VIN and delivery date on 5th October, picking up on Friday.

Does look as if I will be getting an EOQ car - so I'll report in on the experience and quality.

Anyone else received an EOQ car yet? Any comment on quality? (Thanks, g5My for your post).

So, I made a service appointment right away to have everything addressed and just received a text saying this is not a Service Dept issue... it's a Delivery issue. They're saying the car has to go back (3rd time now...) to the Delivery Hub in Fremont to be addressed. They offered an appointment for the end of the month. Brand new car and I have to wait until a month after delivery to have the interior (re)assembled correctly. Yikes. That suggests to me they're overwhelmed with cars assembled incorrectly by this man:

cross-eyed-young-man-23649254.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: ftmaybe and alexcue