Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California waiting room Q4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another week has passed by and nothing new on my account. I called my SA again and now he's saying that Fremont factory is backed up for Model 3/Y's and all deliveries are delayed. The new estimated delivery date range for Bay Area is now end of Dec - mid January.

This doesn't make sense at all to me, as there's plenty of Bay Area folks here who have taken delivery recently, or are about to delivery soon. Something doesn't add up. I mentioned that I shouldn't I be given priority since I ordered earlier, in September and I see people online who ordered just a week or two ago having VINs/taking delivery? Unfortunately he said it doesn't work that way. Even if the online profile is fully completed, its "up to the Tesla algorithm".

I believe I saw in the Reddit Model Y community someone who had a similar case early in Q4. An individual ordered their MY in Q3 and was promised a delivery before the end of Q3 but when it came to be Q4 there was still no VIN or vehicle. Eventually after weeks the SA just said the only thing they could do was to re-order the vehicle since the vehicle was "lost" administratively. I have a bad feeling this is the case... You may want to talk to your SA on this one and consider this yourself. If the SA's advice collectively mean anything in terms of "when is the best time to order a Model Y if you live in CA", theoretically/ideally if you want to re-order, now is the best time to do so since CA deliveries are the priority. Your wait time in fact may be less. Something to consider.

Do you have an estimated delivery date on your profile? Mine shows 12/10-12/25. My SA informed me that it would be within that timeframe and should expect VIN soon. Idk what to believe.

I share my time between SF and some other parts of the Bay Area and occasionally I give different Tesla centers a visit. Even when I give the the same RN number, each SA advice is different. I think the best we can do is hope that as we hear people getting VINs from order dates that match ours, it means that hopefully our orders are also almost here as well

Do you have an estimated delivery date on your profile? Mine shows 12/10-12/25. My SA informed me that it would be within that timeframe and should expect VIN soon. Idk what to believe.

No, I don't have one. I used to have "7-10 weeks from order date" which disappeared a few weeks ago after the 10th week passed.

if you want to re-order, now is the best time to do so since CA deliveries are the priority. Your wait time in fact may be less. Something to consider.

Interesting idea, I didn't consider this at all. The only issues with this is that I would be missing out on the $8k FSD I have currently.

No, I don't have one. I used to have "7-10 weeks from order date" which disappeared a few weeks ago after the 10th week passed.

Interesting idea, I didn't consider this at all. The only issues with this is that I would be missing out on the $8k FSD I have currently.
Weird how my est. date was 4-6 weeks changed to an actual timeframe date which was also still within that 4-6 weeks frame. But it’s much sooner now.

However, if you're missing even this bit of text, try calling your SA and explain to him/her of your situation. However, if you're missing even this bit of text, try calling your SA and explain to him/her of your situation. However, normally the SAs are in the same level of information darkness as we are...

m-310, I took your advice and called in. As you hinted, the chaos increased markedly!

My order is for Model Y, AWD, LR, White, White&Black interior. Ordered and paid $100 fee on 1/30/20, yes January. As of Sunday I still had no estimated delivery showing on my account.

So on Monday 12/7 I called. First sales person said it was weird that my January order hadn't been filled, as he is currently delivering cars to folks who ordered in November. He'd look into it and call me back. A different SA called back and noticed my account said delivery was to be in Fremont, and so switched to the Dublin store and they would look for a car. Apparently it is common for people to not be ready when their car is, as had happened to me in June, so it should be soon I was told.

Next day, 12/8, at 6:30 pm they called to say they had a car for me! Cool! Wow! Yippee! My account had now a VIN and we set pickup for 2pm today, 12/10. But... among the emails and paperwork flying back and forth was a confirmation of configuration change. ??? Oh! They switched to black interior from white/black. Oops! More calls ensued. Next day my account went to no VIN, estimated delivery 12/9-12/12, but the configuration was changed back to B/W. Today the estimate was changed again to 12/10 - 12/21.

So it appears that my account was in some kind of limbo mode, apparently the system was never going to allocate a car.

But calling in and pestering them did appear to get things moving. Moving in a circle perhaps, but had I not called I'm quite certain nothing would have happened.

So, Thanks for the suggestion.

Oh, and yes Tesla's system seems disorganized. But it is not infrequent that people are not ready when their car does arrive, and this must add to the chaos as those cars suddenly become available to fill other matching orders, and the effect could ripple through several customers' allocations.

Mine account has said delivery between 12/11-31 for a while now until today. Now there’s no date range at all. Just, “We will reach out to you to schedule your delivery date. Delivery time frame is based on order date, profile submission, delivery location and vehicle configuration.”

I’m imagining that someone is busily typing in a VIN and accidentally deleted my delivery window. ;)

Reactions: AmbienWalrus