Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California waiting room Q4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a call from our SA asking if we wanted our LR AWD, White, 19in, black interior with tow hitch earlier. Inventory Model Y in Burbank that matched those specs, SA confirmed it was a 2021 Model Y with the dual pane windows. However it would be $500 to transport to NorCal or fly down to pick it up. When told we would wait SA said it would not be until after Christmas.

Hmm, have the same build on order and would be driving down to SoCal in 2 weeks. I would take that if it was me but only because it coincides with my already planned trip.

ordered mine from a bay area dealer on 10/10 followed by weeks of chirp. SA called and said there's one on the lot matching my build - AWD long range, white exterior, black interior, hitch, and 19 in wheels. picking up tomorrow!!!!

Ordered my LR AWD, 19 inch, midnight silver, all black, no FSD, no trailer hitch on Oct 3. Received a 71,000 VIN this morning (by text). updating the spreadsheet now. Pickup appointment Saturday 14 (was offered Friday the 13th, but we both work and my wife is distance teaching. probably would have been good luck).

Last edited:
Reactions: marines310
VIN (71xxx) came out of nowhere today for factory pickup end of week. Does anyone have a recent pickup experience at Factory?
Are we allowed to pay after inspection? getting excited ..

...dont want to break any rules here but there's a small clip of the pickup experience on this reddit post from about 3 days ago...

Took Delivery on Fremont of my MSM LR 69xxx.. nice : TeslaModelY

the guy still responds to responses so you may want to ask him for a bit of additional info if you need!

hope this helps

Just picked up my 2021 Model Y LR VIN 71xxx. White multi-coat Paint across the different bumper and metal panels as well as the panel gaps looked great. Unfortunately I was able to spot 2 issues. The center console lid above the wireless charger did not open and close smoothly, get stuck when you close it. Seems misaligned. And the passenger door is hard to close and makes an odd noise when it releases the latch, so that seems potentially misaligned as well. I've already created support request for the two issues, so hope to have those resolved soon.

VIN (71xxx) came out of nowhere today for factory pickup end of week. Does anyone have a recent pickup experience at Factory?
Are we allowed to pay after inspection? getting excited ..

To answer your question, yes you can definitely inspect before you pay. Mine was also a 71xxx VIN. When you get there and speak to the guy sitting at the desk, he didn't even offer if i wanted to inspect the car, he was like did you pay yet? So when i asked to inspect the car, he seemed a bit surprised (oddly?) but took me to go check out the car. He left it unlocked, and i went through my checklist. When i was done, i just went online from my phone and completed the payment. Then i went back in, and he verified/gave me the keys, and that was it!

To answer your question, yes you can definitely inspect before you pay. Mine was also a 71xxx VIN. When you get there and speak to the guy sitting at the desk, he didn't even offer if i wanted to inspect the car, he was like did you pay yet? So when i asked to inspect the car, he seemed a bit surprised (oddly?) but took me to go check out the car. He left it unlocked, and i went through my checklist. When i was done, i just went online from my phone and completed the payment. Then i went back in, and he verified/gave me the keys, and that was it!

Thanks momo3605! That's great info.

...dont want to break any rules here but there's a small clip of the pickup experience on this reddit post from about 3 days ago...

Took Delivery on Fremont of my MSM LR 69xxx.. nice : TeslaModelY

the guy still responds to responses so you may want to ask him for a bit of additional info if you need!

hope this helps

gah .. they *still* can't get those coat hooks to work? that's a day 1 prob afaik. and the rocker panel thing has been around for months

Likely won't be until the very end of the quarter. We bought a Model 3 last year. Ordered mid October with 5-8 week wait time quoted. Literally heard nothing until December 23 when they said it "might" be before the end of the year. Got a call on Christmas day telling us to pick it up the next day or it would be given to someone else. Got the VIN on our drive to Costa Mesa to pick it up. I don't know if it is the same, but it seemed like all California purchasers get their vehicles at the absolute end of the quarter. I drove myself crazy looking for a VIN which ended up being pointless because, by the time I had a VIN, I was already headed to pick up the car. It was, honestly, a very frustrating process with little to no communication from Tesla for the 2.5 months until a few days before delivery.

I've pre-ordered a while back but never gotten the documents in until 10/19. Haven't heard anything from them and also don't see any estimated delivery date on my account. Does everyone have an estimated delivery date on their accounts?

For whatever it’s worth, my sales advisor was confident that any Y orders placed as of this week would be delivered by the second half of December, including Performance trim. A sales rep, I know, but a very knowledgeable one.

For whatever it’s worth, my sales advisor was confident that any Y orders placed as of this week would be delivered by the second half of December, including Performance trim. A sales rep, I know, but a very knowledgeable one.

My sales advisor said the same thing. Mid December at the earliest. Said it multiple times. And literally the next day, VIN showed up in my account. So i would take it with a grain of salt. I don't think the SAs really know anything

I ordered 11/5 after finding out SCE rebate goes away end of year, the SA told me 75% chance I get before end of year. Hoping I get it soon