Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California waiting room Q4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
East Bay, LR/red/white interior/tow/20" wheels/FSD. Ordered on 10/14 with 4-8 weeks estimated delivery timeframe. Yesterday got the same message as many others ("We currently expect your Model Y to be ready for delivery 4 - 6 weeks from today"). Estimated delivery info disappeared from the account at the same exact time.

Reactions: marines310
East Bay, LR/red/white interior/tow/20" wheels/FSD. Ordered on 10/14 with 4-8 weeks estimated delivery timeframe. Yesterday got the same message as many others ("We currently expect your Model Y to be ready for delivery 4 - 6 weeks from today"). Estimated delivery info disappeared from the account at the same exact time.

My guess is that you will get a delivery date earlier than that.

Tesla will probably not risk final-day California deliveries at the end of the quarter as they did in September. With the lockdown that started earlier this week, stock market risk and holiday spending it's better to deliver while the buyers are willing. Plus at least one California incentive expires at the end of this year.

You have the exact same waiting time as I do. I've seen a lot of folks with 1-2 weeks, 3-5 weeks and etc but nothing like 4-6 weeks.
I also ordered around the same time period, 10/17. Our builds are kinda different though, I'm LR/White/White Interior/No Tow/19"/FSD

I think the only commonality right now are the white interiors that are holding up orders longer.

You have the exact same waiting time as I do. I've seen a lot of folks with 1-2 weeks, 3-5 weeks and etc but nothing like 4-6 weeks.
I also ordered around the same time period, 10/17. Our builds are kinda different though, I'm LR/White/White Interior/No Tow/19"/FSD

I think the only commonality right now are the white interiors that are holding up orders longer.

I'm LR/white/white/no tow/20" and I got my VIN. I ordered 10/16. You should be getting your VIN in a day or two.

Do you think with LR AWD/white/black/no tow/20"/autopilot ordered 11/3 I will get it by the end of the year? I got a text that said "3-6 weeks but maybe sooner" last week.

It's quite possible.

I think I shared in an earlier post somewhere where I shared my conversation with an SA.

Right now I think Tesla is still servicing areas primarily (not exclusively) a bit distant from the Fremont factory in order to service customers that need some time for their vehicles to get delivered to their specific region. Tesla won't deliver each vehicle one at a time and will probably wait for some critical mass to be achieved in order to fill up a trailer with vehicles with prospective owners to pick them up. (Otherwise you'll have either a very expensive & inefficient delivery/logistics system that delivers each car one at a time or a bunch of ownerless vehicles that delivered to the wrong place and even more angry Tesla buyers who aren't getting their cars sooner because of a faulty/inefficient delivery system.)

As for the matching, there seems to be two ways a car gets matched with a buyer.

#1 Factory builds a car to some spec and it gets matched to a long list of waiting orders after completion. This seems to be the most common/frequent/systematic method.

#2 Your SA specifically looks for a car that's built with a VIN but no match yet and manually matches that car to you. Sometime the match happens to a car waiting at the factory or sometimes a built vehicle goes to a service center for a regional match. (I think they call this latter method/regional match a "drop off" where I'm not quite sure how the system works but apparently they drop off a ready made vehicle and hopes someone will buy / expects an SA to match that to someone in their area / have that vehicle in "inventory" somewhere so that another SA/SC with a customer that's looking for that exact same build can match that car to someone.

To get a vehicle matched via #2 method, you have to get really lucky and hope that your SA is cooperative and is really lucky to find a car with your build in inventory somewhere. In case you were wondering about badgering your SA about finding a vehicle via method 2, it's up to you since most of the time they won't find any vehicles left hanging. You and your SA have to be pretty lucky to find a vehicle like that but apparently it does happen.

I'm LR/white/white/no tow/20" and I got my VIN. I ordered 10/16. You should be getting your VIN in a day or two.

Earlier big bad daddy said I would be getting my VIN in a day or two where I still haven't received my VIN yet but it's probably because of the system I mentioned earlier. I would like to get my MY sooner rather than later but we'll have all the time in the world once we get our MYs so I guess I'll continue to keep waiting

I took delivery of my Model Y at the factory today (Sunday).

Delivery was in the parking lot in front of the showroom, which is at the "front entrance" of the Fremont factory.

There were only a handful of cars there, perhaps five Model Ys with a few Model S. I asked about Model 3s, hoping to spot the new center console. I was told that they hadn't been delivering any recently -- all were being delivered overseas and to the east coast.

My car is in the 77xxx range. I'm not certain exactly when it was built, but it was likely in the past few days.

It sat alongside 79585, so I was able to compare. Besides the paint color and wheels, both appeared to be identical. Both had metallic steering wheel rollers, laminated glass, and glossy piano black consoles.

My car came with the expected USB drive in the glovebox. Looking under the rear seat, I see a center bracket that indicates that it does not have the single piece rear casting.

I checked all of the Model Ys in the lot in the noon sunlight. They all appeared to have very good paint, fit and finish. The only errata is that they all had centered but slightly misadjusted frunk hoods, with one side slightly more depressed than the other. That adjustments takes only a few seconds -- simply slightly unscrewing the rubber bumpers. I'll might try tweaking mine tomorrow to see if it's more complicated than that e.g. it also requires adjusting the latch or hinge position to get the height perfect.

The only interior errata were a few scraps of tape between the headliner and roof glass, and a minor smudge low on the A pillar trim. I wouldn't have noticed the smudge if I hadn't been looking for it.

Last edited:
An update on my car: the only issue is the frunk lining. One of the two bolts in the bottom of the plastic well had damaged black paint and was sticking up a bit. I didn't think much of it, until I got home and checked out the frunk. The bolt lifted out with the rivet nut insert, which looked as if it had never been compressed at the factory.

I couldn't tell for certain, but it appeared that some of the snap fittings on the battery cover and frunk lining were broken or missing. Or perhaps it is just badly designed and has a really sloppy, rattling fit.

As others have noted, it's pretty difficult to close the frunk. It hits the plastic lining before the latch engages. You pretty much have to slam it. If you don't close it with enough velocity, it only closes to the first (safety) latch position. Having seen dents in pictures here, I didn't want to press down hard on the 'T' logo. For now I'm just not going to avoid opening it again.

I placed order on 11/15 for LR AWD DB with Blk/White interior and 20" wheels. Website showed 4-7 weeks when ordered, Thursday texted new 4-6 week delivery and website no longer shows estimated delivery.

Does this mean delivery is coming by Mid December?

No idea, but I'm also SF Bay area LR AWD White/Black int/no FSD/no tow 20" and I got a similar text 3-6 weeks and I ordered on 11/5. Also have no delivery estimate on my Tesla account.

I took delivery today!!! 2021 LR/white/white/20". It's VIN is 75xxx and it has ALL the goodies. Double pane window, USB port/drive in glove box, metal scroll wheel....

FOUND NEARLY NO ISSUES other than minor misalignment of the left rear tail light near the charge port and a slightly bigger gap on the front passenger headlight meeting the bumper. Other than that, she is practically immaculate. No issues with the middle seat being mis-aligned. No issues with frunk or charge port door misaligned. No issues with paint. No issues with the rims.

I think after Fremont has built 75,000+ of this units, they got it down to a T now. I am VERY pleased and impressed. I think I got super lucky on this one.

I had read terrible reviews about the Costa Mesa Pullman Ave. location but surprisingly my car was parked right out front and I showed up and went to action inspecting the outside for a good 20 minutes. The staff saw me but nobody cared or approach me and I had all the time in the world. Finally, when I was ready to inspect the inside, I went to the staff and that's when they let me opened the door and checked the inside. I had all the time in the world to accept or reject and my down payment was in my hands the entire time.

• Helpful
Reactions: jetsurgn