Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California waiting room Q4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How does the configuration change the priority? Genuinely curious as I haven’t seen information explaining this.

Because it is more efficient to make more than one of a certain configuration. Think about it, anything that requires a change in the production line could potentially take time if you have to adjust a manufacturing tool/add a manufacturing tool depending on the configuration... so they make batches of certain configurations or else production would be highly inefficient. I have no idea if things like wheels or certain small configuration changes impact it much but there has on this forum been evidence of delays in performance VINs or tow hitches. Additionally, according to the Q3 thread CA deliveries happen at the end of the quarter. Which explains why very few Bay Area people have their VINs on the spreadsheet.

I believe that assignment is a mix of randomness, end of quarter rush, and manual match for people in the last few days of their delivery period. The combination of simple patterns overlaid on numerical noise makes it likely that people will see complex patterns where there are none.

There are additional influences, such as shortages of tow hitches or 21" tires for performance packages. Plus batching of colors for the paint shop, but there are few enough colors that the latter should have only a few days impact.

Just got my VIN too. I'm on OC VIN 81xxx. Ordered on 10/17 so its been 43 days.

That sounds really good since I ordered on the same day it looks like the wait won't go on for much longer!

How does the configuration change the priority? Genuinely curious as I haven’t seen information explaining this.
Because it is more efficient to make more than one of a certain configuration. Think about it, anything that requires a change in the production line could potentially take time if you have to adjust a manufacturing tool/add a manufacturing tool depending on the configuration... so they make batches of certain configurations or else production would be highly inefficient. I have no idea if things like wheels or certain small configuration changes impact it much but there has on this forum been evidence of delays in performance VINs or tow hitches. Additionally, according to the Q3 thread CA deliveries happen at the end of the quarter. Which explains why very few Bay Area people have their VINs on the spreadsheet.

This pretty much sums it up. When I was choosing my build I talked to two different SAs in SF and Palo Alto if there were ways I could get my MY faster than the estimated delivery date and their responses were pretty consistent with what g0bears wrote.

For instance, apparently in the larger pool of MY orders, black interior seating was more popular so they would spend a lot of time building black interior seating versions and put in batches of white interiors in between. Add wheel configuration, tow hitch and of course, the color of your MY itself, and the complexity just compounds

I understand that making more of the same gives priority. I was referring to if certain configurations get priority.

I dont understand why they take so long to produce cars especially the standard configurations.
Not a fanboy of Tesla but I agree the wait is very difficult. However it's a 10,000 piece Lego set where some pieces are rather large and you can only store so many of them in a warehouse lot and any delay or defect in one component could disrupt the entire chain.

I understand that this is a M3 but MY shares about 75% parts with the M3 so we'll take it as the closest comparison
Tesla Model 3 is built with 50% parts from US/Canada, and 25% from Mexico - here's why it's important - Electrek
"There are 10,000 unique parts in a Tesla Model 3 and any one of them can slow down the automaker’s important production ramp up."

• Informative
Reactions: sleepies
Not a fanboy of Tesla but I agree the wait is very difficult. However it's a 10,000 piece Lego set where some pieces are rather large and you can only store so many of them in a warehouse lot and any delay or defect in one component could disrupt the entire chain.

I understand that this is a M3 but MY shares about 75% parts with the M3 so we'll take it as the closest comparison
Tesla Model 3 is built with 50% parts from US/Canada, and 25% from Mexico - here's why it's important - Electrek
"There are 10,000 unique parts in a Tesla Model 3 and any one of them can slow down the automaker’s important production ramp up."

According to my week-old Model Y window sticker, the Model Y is built with 60% US/Canadian parts and 20% Mexican parts.

Reactions: marines310
Hi All,

Mine is LR AWD MSM, Black, Induction, No hitch ordered on 09/26. I don't have VIN yet.

I got below text last week, I've been waiting for quite long. Do I need to call sales rep to get any update on delivery?

Tesla Update - We currently expect your Model Y to be ready for delivery 2 - 5 weeks from today. Once your Model Y starts moving to your delivery center, we will reach out to schedule your delivery appointment.

Please note that this timeframe is an estimate and may shift in either direction.

This is an automated message. Please visit tesla.com/deliveryday for more information or reply to this text with any questions.