Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California waiting room Q4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, I’m paying in full ( no loan) and just noticed where it says they’ll contact me for final payment. Since it’s a holiday weekend I want to get the financials ready ASAP. Do you just bring a check to the delivery or do you make a payment prior?

My guess, they'll prefer electronic payment? Or at least proof of funds?

We were told that the loan approval sheet is enough for them to release the car since it's a weekend.

We're also planning on putting a significant down payment on the car and I'm planning on paying via ACH or other electronic means.I remember our SA mentioning that payment can be made by ACH.

Worst case, I'll Venmo Elon directly. ;):)o_O

Reactions: Mr. James
My guess, they'll prefer electronic payment? Or at least proof of funds?

We were told that the loan approval sheet is enough for them to release the car since it's a weekend.

We're also planning on putting a significant down payment on the car and I'm planning on paying via ACH or other electronic means.I remember our SA mentioning that payment can be made by ACH.

Worst case, I'll Venmo Elon directly. ;):)o_O
You can still pay via personal check though, right?

You can still pay via personal check though, right?
Yes, you can make your final payment with a personal check.

Final payment is accepted via:
  • Electronic check (direct debit) in your Tesla Account
  • Wire transfer
  • Personal or cashier’s check at time of pick-up, with your Reservation Number (RN) and name in the memo line
More here: Ordering a New Tesla

My preference was to pay via a cashier's check. That way your personal checking account information is not exposed. Just confirm the final payment amount with Tesla a few days prior to delivery as the final amount may slightly change after Tesla adds any applicable fees.

• Love
Reactions: elementsdk1
How does it work if the Amount Due shows a negative balance? I started off with 100% financing so the Amount Due originally showed ~$5,000. I later added a trade-in vehicle that was more than $5,000 so now I have a negative balance. Are they going to cut me a check or offset the vehicle price later? I reached out to my SA but still awaiting a response.

Wow had no idea they accept personal checks? That would make it much easier. Wonder if I need to confirm this prior to Sunday? My SA is completely unresponsive and I don’t know who else to contact.
Tesla's delivery team may, as was my experience, pressure you to pay via automated clearing house (ACH) Debit. The latest twist on ACH is a third party service called Plaid. I did not trust using ACH, I would not trust using Plaid. If you use Plaid you are giving up not only your account credentials (your User Id and password) to Plaid but then Plaid has access to any checking, savings or credit accounts that are linked to your account. This is beyond bad.

The best, safest option is to pay via a cashier's check. Another option is to set up and pay for a Wire Transfer. The Wire Transfer payment option needs to be arranged several days in advance.

How does it work if the Amount Due shows a negative balance? I started off with 100% financing so the Amount Due originally showed ~$5,000. I later added a trade-in vehicle that was more than $5,000 so now I have a negative balance. Are they going to cut me a check or offset the vehicle price later? I reached out to my SA but still awaiting a response.
If the purchase paperwork is up to date you should not have to pay any amount at delivery. You may have to wait for Tesla to send you a check of the balance from your trade in.

Reactions: WhatsABattery
I assume it is home delivery as my home address appears following the 2 am delivery appointment time. No VIN, no response for SA, not even a text....
As it is close to the end of the year Tesla's delivery team is probably so busy that they can't stop prepping Tesla vehicles for delivery to do anything else. You should plan to be at home, or someone should be at home, on the day of delivery from 0800 to 1730 at least until Tesla reaches out with a better estimate of the delivery time.

If you have requested home delivery due to Covid-19 protocol this is a touch-less process. Tesla will deliver the vehicle to your home, leave the paperwork on the front seat along with a pre-addessed FedEx return envelope. Tesla will leave the vehicle unlocked with the card wallet containing the two card keys in the trunk or in the hatch area of the vehicle.

You will need to log out of your Tesla account from the Tesla app on your phone, log back in before your new Tesla vehicle will appear in the app. Then you can pair the phone from inside the Tesla vehicle using one of the card keys.

If you are paying via check or cashier's check you would enclose the final payment with the Tesla paperwork that you must sign, return to Tesla in the FedEx envelope.

Ordered 3 weeks ago. Pickup was today. VIN 91xxx ended up rejecting the MY. The frunk, trunk, doors and lights were misaligned and visibly uneven. I wasn’t being ocd picky about but even my wife stood there and noticed these issues without me mentioning it and she’s not into cars at all. It was as if the car had frame damage and nothing sat correctly.

They said they will look for a another build or put me on a list. We’ll see what happens, oh well.

New VIN assigned 95xxx supposedly a new build. Scheduled to pickup this Sunday. Hope it isn’t as bad as last time!

New VIN assigned 95xxx supposedly a new build. Scheduled to pickup this Sunday. Hope it isn’t as bad as last time!
As long as you have not made final payment, i.e. your check or cashier's check is still in your hand then you have some leverage. Once you have made payment then you lose this leverage in getting Tesla to make things right with the vehicle or provide a different vehicle.

As it is close to the end of the year Tesla's delivery team is probably so busy that they can't stop prepping Tesla vehicles for delivery to do anything else. You should plan to be at home, or someone should be at home, on the day of delivery from 0800 to 1730 at least until Tesla reaches out with a better estimate of the delivery time.

If you have requested home delivery due to Covid-19 protocol this is a touch-less process. Tesla will deliver the vehicle to your home, leave the paperwork on the front seat along with a pre-addessed FedEx return envelope. Tesla will leave the vehicle unlocked with the card wallet containing the two card keys in the trunk or in the hatch area of the vehicle.

You will need to log out of your Tesla account from the Tesla app on your phone, log back in before your new Tesla vehicle will appear in the app. Then you can pair the phone from inside the Tesla vehicle using one of the card keys.

If you are paying via check or cashier's check you would enclose the final payment with the Tesla paperwork that you must sign, return to Tesla in the FedEx envelope.

Thank you for your prompt and detailed response! You are doing a much more BETTER job than my SA should have done. Sincerely appreciate this!

In terms of home delivery, I have never requested it before. I see my friends who live in the area are also assigned for home delivery without asking, so I am not very surprised about it. Still wondering if picking up at SC would be better for them to fix the issues though.

Besides, if they are going to deliver it on Saturday at 2am, I would not be able to obtain a cashier check by then because banks are closed until Saturday at 9 am, plus the final amount is not available yet as my other grants have not been applied to my MVAP. So I guess 2am is a mistake as there is no text messages nor SA has reached out regarding my delivery. But I hope 12/26 is the day.....a bit frustrating with all these processes with Tesla.

Wow had no idea they accept personal checks? That would make it much easier. Wonder if I need to confirm this prior to Sunday? My SA is completely unresponsive and I don’t know who else to contact.
I just emailed my SA and delivery center to confirm that a draft from the credit union for the loan and a personal check for the balance are good. They've been very responsive. I'll post what they tell me here....

Reactions: AmbienWalrus
Thank you for your prompt and detailed response! You are doing a much more BETTER job than my SA should have done. Sincerely appreciate this!

In terms of home delivery, I have never requested it before. I see my friends who live in the area are also assigned for home delivery without asking, so I am not very surprised about it. Still wondering if picking up at SC would be better for them to fix the issues though.

Besides, if they are going to deliver it on Saturday at 2am, I would not be able to obtain a cashier check by then because banks are closed until Saturday at 9 am, plus the final amount is not available yet as my other grants have not been applied to my MVAP. So I guess 2am is a mistake as there is no text messages nor SA has reached out regarding my delivery. But I hope 12/26 is the day.....a bit frustrating with all these processes with Tesla.
Make sure that your Tesla account has your up to date phone and email contact information. Tesla's Delivery Team will use SMS text messaging (Tesla has a centralized text message server) to communicate. They will sometime use email when their message server is down, lastly they will use the phone to call you directly. That is why your contact information needs to be complete and up to date. Also, once the vehicle is delivered the Delivery Team's job is done, they all turn into ghosts as far as any further communication. If you have issues with the vehicle all communication is via the Tesla app and the local Service Center team.

Nice!!! And see...I am right behind you in the queue!
update: email SAtrying to clarify so I can get a cashiers check. He is on vacation and found out car is ready for pick up today. Scheduled pick up at 4pm at Serramonte. I guess my MY was on one those recent deliveries. The delivery on Sunday was a drop off, my SA told me he switched it but obviously he dropped on the ball.

Reactions: elementsdk1

They ended up lowering the finance amount by the negative balance amount. Now Amount Due is $0.00.

Reactions: Krock65