Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California water

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
*checks forum name… hmm, "Off topic" *
Yeah, I think it's appropriate and fits into what people should be having more discourse about and learning about. Off this off topic, I'm curious, what's a water doctor? Heard of lots of different types of Doctors, but not sure what you mean?

Back on the off topic, I haven't read the whole thread yet. I read the start and thought I'd check back in now that I saw it gained a few pages of posts. I think it's cool it got some replies - I wondered what posts the OP would draw (hope I still think it's cool after I read the last 3 pages :wink: )

Last edited:
Is the appropriate place to be talking water; a Tesla forum? As a former and retired water doctor I appreciate the subject, but here?

TMC has a lot of members with similar interests ... and concerns, especially when it comes to the environment. We have the Off-Topic subform for topics that members want to discuss, but are not directly related to Tesla (check out Beekeeping, as an example).

From a power and water perspective utilizing renewables to pump water into large reservoirs upstream could potentially solve two issues. The water pumped when renewable power is available runs back through turbines to generate power while at the same time being drawn out for utilities. They already do this in some areas. Obviously the scale would have to be much larger for it to work and at a huge expense. As someone who's not familiar with earthquakes I'd be nervous about having nuclear plants near active fault lines. Granted a dam break would also be catastrophic but without the contamination from fallout.

You're still going to have just as many Califonians upset about your dam and blocking fish migration paths, flooding lands, and yes the dam failures. Can't make anyone happy in CA.

- - - Updated - - -

They can't let the sea water get that warm as it destroys the creatures in the water that depend on a stable temperature. At diablo canyon the outflow water is 20 degrees warmer, and that is too warm.

http://ww2.kqed.org/news/2014/11/19/water-board-weighs-phasing-out-diablo-canyons-cooling-system

Its not 20 degrees hotter. They are allowed to heat to that much but do not. Granted it is warmer and yes can impact life in THE COVE. Look at an aerial view of the plant. The discharge goes into a little cove and quickly dissipates in temperature. Yes maybe there's a warm zone right in front of the discharge but there's a ton of life loving it at the intake and the artificial reef. Fisherman have reported steady increases in catches off the coast near Diablo. I don't think there's really an issue here.

You're still going to have just as many Califonians upset about your dam and blocking fish migration paths, flooding lands, and yes the dam failures. Can't make anyone happy in CA.

Pumped storage facilities generally aren't constructed on rivers so would have no effect on migration routes and land loss is significantly less than that for a damn. The volume of water is also orders of magnitude less than for most damns so flooding in the event of a structural failure would be MUCH more limited.

Pumped Storage Hydro

Two VERY VERY different things....

Here's one in California. "It is a power station that uses Helms Creek canyon for off-river water storage[SUP][1][/SUP] and the pumped-storage hydroelectric method to generate electricity." Note the hydroelectric word. Its still a dam with water that they use the water to spin a turbine then pump back up when demand is low. Pumped Storage is within the Hydro family.

Helms Pumped Storage Plant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kara. 20 degrees is their figures! Don't know how you can reference fishing as it is off limits for fishing north of Piont Buchon to the restricted area around Diablo canyon

Yes they are licensed to 20 degrees but they don't run there. That's the max allowed. Though I do believe it is still in the upper teens. Original start up was around 22 degrees and has slowly been lowering due to operational changes and efficiency modifications. Regardless i consider the impact minor in the grand scheme of things since it quickly dissipates within the cove. I think we may have derailed the OP thread a bit. :(