Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California Wildfires Impact on Tesla Factory Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning, I looked at a near-real time fire tracker that the New York Times is running. I was surprised at how close to Fremont that some of those fires are. Having dealt with the impacts of forest fires and brush fires several times in my life, I've seen that the wind speed and direction are critical. Ash and cinder fallout can do real damage -- many miles from the actual fire line. Like you, I fear for the impact on the workers at Tesla and their families, as well as all of the residents of California. Their lives and health are paramount, of course! Operationally, I would expect that cars parked outside could suffer ash and smoke damage. Nobody wants a new car that smells like a campfire, although ozone machines can neutralize smoke quite effectively. I also wonder about cinders falling on "The Tent" that houses the outside production line. Those flexible building systems are pretty tough, but ash and cinders falling from the sky -- fanned by high winds and high ambient temperatures, could be a formula for a fire.

The fires are not close enough to Fremont to threaten production. And, if anything, I suspect the air inside the factory is cleaner than it is outside. If we have another heatwave, I would be concerned about rolling blackouts, but that doesn't seem imminent.

I'd expect the next batch of MY's come out with plenty of paint blemishes. Embedded ash nibs, to be exact
This is realistically the only likely impact of the fires on Fremont. And only then because the paint process seems to be so bad it wouldn't be surprising that they have inadequate filtering to catch the ash before it makes it to the paint booth and drying areas.

Reactions: captanzuelo
Mine is still thankfully at 2-4 wks. Was told today by my SA that a VIN is supposed to be issued for my Y today (nothing yet...), and that it could be here at end of month "assuming the factory continues to not be impacted by the wildfires" -- so that its on his radar and something he mentioned means they're talking about it and likely the message is, "no impact yet".

Mine is still thankfully at 2-4 wks. Was told today by my SA that a VIN is supposed to be issued for my Y today (nothing yet...), and that it could be here at end of month "assuming the factory continues to not be impacted by the wildfires" -- so that its on his radar and something he mentioned means they're talking about it and likely the message is, "no impact yet".

How would an SA have any clue if you are supposed to get a VIN today? If that were true we wouldn't really have people constantly coming here to find out if others have received theirs yet and not knowing when they should expect one. If SAs have those details they'd be providing them to customers to avoid the churn put on them by customers frequently reaching out for status updates.

The timing estimate for MY just jumped from 2-4 weeks to 6-10 weeks...so wouldn’t be surprised to hear they were hedging on production capacity

*sigh* And so it begins...

When did you order? I've been fairly certain that a large number of orders are going to move out to being delivered in December and I'm pretty sure mine will be one of them. I ordered on 8/30 a MY with MSM black/white interior, 19" wheels, no tow, no FSD, and LR AWD.

How would an SA have any clue if you are supposed to get a VIN today? If that were true we wouldn't really have people constantly coming here to find out if others have received theirs yet and not knowing when they should expect one. If SAs have those details they'd be providing them to customers to avoid the churn put on them by customers frequently reaching out for status updates.
hmm I’m not familiar with the particulars but he claimed to be quoting a “forecasting tool”? Might just be a guess I suppose.

Reactions: XY2B