Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California Window tint enforced?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am getting a pearl white MYLR, and it looks it's best with dark windows.

I would like to get 70%VLT on front windshield and 35% VLT on the front 2 windows.

However I am a bit concerned about the
California Window tint rule. (I am in Bay Area)

Is it really enforced?

Reactions: Premiertint
I would be interested in seeing this answer too. I see so many people driving around where I can't see inside the car even in broad daylight. Sure makes it hard to know if the person is responding to my thumbs up or whatever.

I had a friend tell me he got very high transmission film in his windows, almost clear, and could still leave it out in the sun all day w/o much heat buildup. Makes me think I should do this but I have been avoiding the expense for fear of having a cop tell me I have to remove it.

Don't be afraid to live. I just roll down my front windows if I pull up next to a cop at a stoplight. In my experience, cops generally mess with speeders, young people, and those on the lower rungs of society, whom they view as potentially criminal. Driving a Tesla puts us above that unless someone has a red flag like racing stickers all over their car. I've been driving with 20% for almost a year and no problems.

I would be interested in seeing this answer too. I see so many people driving around where I can't see inside the car even in broad daylight. Sure makes it hard to know if the person is responding to my thumbs up or whatever.

I had a friend tell me he got very high transmission film in his windows, almost clear, and could still leave it out in the sun all day w/o much heat buildup. Makes me think I should do this but I have been avoiding the expense for fear of having a cop tell me I have to remove it.
You can get ceramic films that transmit 80 or even 90% light.
CA law needs front windows to be >70% transmission, so one of those will work for you.

I on other hand want the windows to be darker, purely for the aesthetics. But a bit concerned about enforcement.

Reactions: Premiertint

I would like to get 70%VLT on front windshield and 35% VLT on the front 2 windows.

Is it really enforced?

Not enforced at all. It's been over 30yrs since I last received a ticket for tinted windows.

My car has 35% on the sides and rear which almost makes it look black.

I've tinted all my cars ever since I could drive and never been ticketed for tint. When I have been pulled over, I just make sure to roll down all my windows down.

From what I've been told from LEO's who are friends, a cop won't pull you over just for tint (need to be committing a traffic violation) and be respectful to the cop and they won't hassle you.

I've always put 35% on my front windows and have never had a problem. It's hotter than Hades here in the summer and if cops were gonna pull people over for tint that's literally the only thing they'd do all day long.

If you drive like a knob or a cop wants an excuse to pull you over that gives them one, but that's never been a problem for me.

Speaking to a lot of police officer clients here at our ppf, tint, ceramic coating shop and what I was told was most of the time they do not care. They will usually add tint/front plate tickets if they get you for speeding or running a stop sign, etc. There are a few cities in Socal that are fairly strict and will get you no matter what. Irvine, Glendale, Beverly Hills, Riverside are the top 4 in socal that will get you for tint, front plate.

The tint law is something that is very defined on what is legal. However with doing tint day in and day out I personally do not see a lot of clients that come in to have the film removed for a ticket. I do see a few but not that many.

hello, ive a question - M3 Tesla, So Cal. What tint % is recommended for rear windows / roof / front driver, passenger windows? There are apparently many variations and film types. I'm not looking to do a PHD thesis on this - I just would like the norm what others in SoCal are doing. I've called around, a few different places, and most package 5 windows - front 2, rear 2, and half of the roof.

Thanks!

hello, ive a question - M3 Tesla, So Cal. What tint % is recommended for rear windows / roof / front driver, passenger windows? There are apparently many variations and film types. I'm not looking to do a PHD thesis on this - I just would like the norm what others in SoCal are doing. I've called around, a few different places, and most package 5 windows - front 2, rear 2, and half of the roof.

Thanks!
Majority of our clients will do all glass( sides, rear window in one piece, sunroof and full front windshield). As for the shading that is a personal preference by all means, but most of the ones we tint are 20% for all sides, rear, and sunroof and a 75% shade on the full front windshield.

Give me a call directly or come by the store and we will be glad to go over some different types and shades of film to see what will work best for you and your vehicle.

Travis
949-522-6287

Ok i have several cars/trucks with tint.. my good friend owns a tint shop, brother and cousins are in law enforcement they do write tint tickets.. but its usually the guys racing threw traffic loud exhaust (not us :) ) an loud music .. stickers all over the car window etc.. drive nice and no problems.. im always confused on this not sure how law enforcement can write tickets for this when there personal cars are tinted lol

I grew up in the Bay Area during the 60s, 70s and 80s. No one tinted their windows. What is the point with tint? I can see tinting a glass roof, we didn't have those. But not being able to communicate with the drivers is a hazard. Are you afraid of being seen? Not interested in interacting with the world anymore?

Reactions: israndy and cwerdna

Is it really enforced?
Rarely, if ever. I have never had issue with two cars for decades.
And if you ever do get caught, you can just pay the small fix-it fine rather than take the tint off.

If you have a white interior, the tint is like one level brighter.
Example: For my white interior, i have 50% windshield, 35% sides.
This is not "dark", it is like 70% windshield, 50% sides on a normal car.

I grew up in the Bay Area during the 60s, 70s and 80s. No one tinted their windows. What is the point with tint? I can see tinting a glass roof, we didn't have those. But not being able to communicate with the drivers is a hazard. Are you afraid of being seen? Not interested in interacting with the world anymore?

I didn't experience or realize the benefits of tinted windows until I was an adult.
I put the tint on to help protect the interior of my car and my skin from the UV rays. I am not fair skinned, I tan easily but I can feel my face get hot when I'm in cars that don't have tint.

And my optometrist reminds me of the dangers of UV exposure on the eyes so I always wear my sunglasses while driving.

Last edited:
So the MY comes with factory installed tinting on the rear doors, rear windshield and roof, I believe it's 24%. Why would you need more tinting there? I would like to have enough tinting on the front windshield and side fronts to protect from UV but not to affect visibility. I have read that ceramic tints are best.

What percentage tints do you all recommend for the front windshield? For the side windows? I do want other drivers and pedestrians to be able to see me through the front windshield and drivers window.
Depends on your interior color, as the white brightens up the tint one level.
These are about equal:

Black interior: 70% windshield, 50% sides
White interior: 50% windshield, 35% sides

I have white interior 50% windshield, 35% sides, 35% one piece rear, 50% sunroof, ceramic tint.