Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Caliper covers and wh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I fitted some brake caliper covers to my M3 but the wh/mi jumped considerably, like to 400!.

I then removed (one by one) to try and see if it was a single cover or all of them contributing. There was definitely one that may have been less than idealy fitted as the wh/mi dropped a lot after removal.

With all of them off, it dropped to my usual 270.

I've just put the front two back on and it seems my average has jumped to about 305. There's no heat coming from the wheels/brakes/calipers, so don't think there's anything rubbing or catching.

So my question is... has anyone else seen the same effects on wh/mi after installing the covers, or have I somehow got a rogue set?

Attachments

• 20220514_155414.jpg
    20220514_155414.jpg
    816.4 KB · Views: 489
In the spirit of "occams razor" (paraphrased, the simplest answer is usually the correct one), have you considered that the caliper cover may be rubbing slightly on the wheel?
Thanks for the comment. While the wheel was off I checked and there didn't appear to be any rubbing.

With the wheel on, should there have been any rubbing against the wheel, I would have thought that 1) there would have been evidence of this on the paintwork of the caliper, but also 2) that it would generate a bit of heat. I can't see any scuffs and there is no heat to the calipers after a drive.

Wouldn't this result in some heat coming off the calipers?
So basically your brakes are getting no air flow or cooling. Perfect for when you need to do heavy braking in an emergency situation or something.
I'd also read that caliper covers can actually dissipate the heat from your brakes and improve the overall performance of the brakes?

That is so weird. If the cover hit the wheel it would scream. Heat dissipation or efficiency of brakes isn’t gonna raise watt/h

The calipers float and self center over the rotor. If the cover interferes with that function in any way it could case a pad to rub on the rotor.

A Link to the product or install video would help.

That is so weird. If the cover hit the wheel it would scream. Heat dissipation or efficiency of brakes isn’t gonna raise watt/h

The calipers float and self center over the rotor. If the cover interferes with that function in any way it could case a pad to rub on the rotor.
So here's a couple of pictures, one from the top, the other from the bottom, showing the only two fixtures as well as the clearance.

There shouldn't be any compression sideways.

However, a rubbing pad seems more likely than the cover coming in contact with anything.

Attachments

• 20220510_130509.jpg
    20220510_130509.jpg
    350.7 KB · Views: 301
  • 20220510_130630.jpg
    20220510_130630.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 288
The front covers seem pretty foolproof, maybe they could rub but they'd make a hellova noise as others mentioned.

The rear covers are not so simple however. The outer brake pad will fail to retract from the disc if that cover touches any part of the central floating region highlighted here:
Screenshot 2022-05-14 103121m.jpg

And it looks like these covers come pretty close:
Screenshot 2022-05-14 102948.jpg

In the spirit of "occams razor" (paraphrased, the simplest answer is usually the correct one), have you considered that the caliper cover may be rubbing slightly on the wheel?
LOVED the fact the YOU quoted my fave theory! All that was missing was Jodi Foster saying it, from the movie "Contact". Thank you.

Reactions: rpiotro and pikeman
I fitted some brake caliper covers to my M3 but the wh/mi jumped considerably, like to 400!.
I then removed (one by one) to try and see if it was a single cover or all of them contributing. There was definitely one that may have been less than idealy fitted as the wh/mi dropped a lot after removal.
With all of them off, it dropped to my usual 270.

Congratulations - you've most likely run into a real-life example of the difference between causation and correlation.
Your brake calipers (other than being an all around terrible idea), had no impact on your mileage. Other events have contributed to the battery consumption variations (ambient temps, types of driving, software updates, etc.), and you attributed it to the eye candy mod.
Well, there is one other possibility - one of the covers was interfering with pad retraction, and you have been dragging one of the pads on the rotors needlessly ever since you've installed the stupid things.

I'd also read that caliper covers can actually dissipate the heat from your brakes and improve the overall performance of the brakes?

No, just the opposite.
Covers act as an insulator, separating the calipers from the cooling airflow, and preventing heat dissipation.

However, they might look KeWL.

HTH,
a

The front covers seem pretty foolproof, maybe they could rub but they'd make a hellova noise as others mentioned.

The rear covers are not so simple however. The outer brake pad will fail to retract from the disc if that cover touches any part of the central floating region highlighted here:
View attachment 804195

And it looks like these covers come pretty close:
View attachment 804196
That’s exactly what I was gonna say. Front look ok, rears look highly likely they would/could interfere with the caliper floating over the rotor (I.e. cause pad rubbing).

I've been on this forum for about 14 months now. I wish I'd kept track of the number of times I've read that someone has modified their M3 to make it lower, faster, cooler...whatever...and then had complaints about the problems their modifications have caused - sometimes even blaming Tesla. The lesson to be learned here is keep it all original, don't mess with it. The car already is very cool and very fast and low enough that I would never take mine on a dirt road. Why mess with success?

Reactions: euro.r and akidesir
Congratulations - you've most likely run into a real-life example of the difference between causation and correlation.
Your brake calipers (other than being an all around terrible idea), had no impact on your mileage. Other events have contributed to the battery consumption variations (ambient temps, types of driving, software updates, etc.), and you attributed it to the eye candy mod.
Well, there is one other possibility - one of the covers was interfering with pad retraction, and you have been dragging one of the pads on the rotors needlessly ever since you've installed the stupid things.

No, just the opposite.
Covers act as an insulator, separating the calipers from the cooling airflow, and preventing heat dissipation.

However, they might look KeWL.

HTH,
a

"No, just the opposite.
Covers act as an insulator, separating the calipers from the cooling airflow, and preventing heat dissipation."

Citation needed. I'mll up for hearing other opinions but if that's just your opinion then that should be stated.

I'd actually bought the caliper covers due to the benefits that are widely shared online. You can view a few instances via the following links:

I'm struggling to find anything that backs up your opinion,
I've been on this forum for about 14 months now. I wish I'd kept track of the number of times I've read that someone has modified their M3 to make it lower, faster, cooler...whatever...and then had complaints about the problems their modifications have caused - sometimes even blaming Tesla. The lesson to be learned here is keep it all original, don't mess with it. The car already is very cool and very fast and low enough that I would never take mine on a dirt road. Why mess with success?
This post really wasn't started to hear people's opinions of choices they wouldn't have made.

I was asking if anyone had experienced the same thing, or if they had any suggestions as to why it was happening.

No complaints. No blaming anyone or anything.

I know this isn’t about your choice.

I considered them for about 30 seconds on my S. They look good, but otherwise total garbage.

They have zero benefit.

Tesla will void anything around the brakes if they see them, rightfully so.

I read one thread where one came loose and oh what a mess.

They are extremely weak in how they attach. One weak aluminum clip on bottom and one weak aluminum clip on top with one small screw. But with locktite !!!

They will act as an insulator. Because they don’t make enough contact to conduct any heat. So they will create an insulated buffer of air around them. Probably not by huge amount.

Your issue of them likely interfering with the function of the caliper is icing on the cake.

Check out TWRAPS for calipers. Not sure they are made for Model 3 yet.

I’d chuck them and try to return as defective design.

"No, just the opposite.​
Covers act as an insulator, separating the calipers from the cooling airflow, and preventing heat dissipation."​

Citation needed. I'mll up for hearing other opinions but if that's just your opinion then that should be stated.

My citation = common sense and ~25 years of track experience.

I'd actually bought the caliper covers due to the benefits that are widely shared online. You can view a few instances via the following links:[....]
I'm struggling to find anything that backs up your opinion,

How many Formula 1, Indy, NASCAR, IMSA, or GT racing teams you know use brake caliper covers?
Those would be the first and early adopters of any and all performance improving innovations.

Name one, and we may have something to discuss.
Self-congratulatory articles from outfits that sell that junk don't make the grade, sorry.

That should also be covered by the common sense clause.

HTH,
a

Hm that’s strange. You can keep them off and either use caliper paint or sprayable vinyl wrap if you want to change the look temporarily.

Mods are great since the car only comes in a handful of colors and limited configurations. At the same time, if I swap out the entire suspension I’m not going to expect Tesla to warranty any closely related failing parts.

Reactions: Shelburne