Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Calipers vinyl wrap for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2022 M3 LR - I’m about to paint mine, orange. I cannot understand how someone would think that they don’t have the tools or skills to remove a tire. Good lord, how would one replace a flat tire or rotate them??? I’m amazed that one would think it is easier to clean the calipers and apply the vinyl through the wheel spokes than to just jack up the car and pull a tire.

The only reason I haven’t painted mine yet is because I want all 4 corners up and paint them at the same time. At least your vinyl makes it easy to do this one at a time. Seems like you have a great idea.
I had been thimking of painting mt calipers also. What method are you going to use when you do it...G2 or a spray like VHT?

2022 M3 LR - I’m about to paint mine, orange. I cannot understand how someone would think that they don’t have the tools or skills to remove a tire. Good lord, how would one replace a flat tire or rotate them??? I’m amazed that one would think it is easier to clean the calipers and apply the vinyl through the wheel spokes than to just jack up the car and pull a tire.

The only reason I haven’t painted mine yet is because I want all 4 corners up and paint them at the same time. At least your vinyl makes it easy to do this one at a time. Seems like you have a great idea.
Thanks! In all fairness though, painting the calipers or replacing them with sports calipers looks better than vinyl covers, especially on the 3/Y where the default calipers are kind of so-so... (i.e. no big flat surfaces, metal lines sticking up or down etc...all that shows from under the vinyl). But the vinyl option is obviously much cheaper and faster, and still gives some color pop to the area. Let's see how it goes :)

I had been thimking of painting mt calipers also. What method are you going to use when you do it...G2 or a spray like VHT?
I already bought the G2. I’ll clean the calipers, tape em off, and brush on the paint on all 4 corners at once (well, as close to the same time as possible). I expect to get two coats. I’ll let it sit a good 24 hours before putting the wheels back on.

Hey guys

Status update - I am almost there now :) Look!
I am likely going to release it in 2 size variations - Rookie and Pro. Rookie will be a smaller fit that won't require you to remove the wheel (also cheaper as less material usage) and Pro being a fuller fit that wraps around (what I show here on these photos) that will require that you remove the wheel so you get access. I am yet to see about this though, as currently, to make my work easier, I work without a wheel. Once I put it back on, I will see how difficult it is to install the Pro version with the wheel on, it may turn out to be OK.

IMG_2288.jpg

IMG_2289.jpg

Finally ready!!!
You can now get the caliper vinyl covers for the Model 3 here:

I will edit & publish the install video within a day or two. I ended up doing 2 versions - Pro and Basic. Pro requires that you take the wheels off and wraps around. The basic one is simply peel & stick and there is no need to take the wheels off, but covers a lot less and looks flat (although it still gives color to the area).

Just get it installed. The cut and finished is greatt! But I will agree with canasion35. If we can get the front more coverage that will be 100% perfect.

will post some photo later
Hey thanks for the feedback! Just to get an idea - did you do the Basic or Pro version? Also do you mean extra coverage in the two arches (top and bottom) behind the front plate of the caliper?

Agree, the front definitely needs more coverage on the outside portion of the caliper. It looks unfinished. They do look great otherwise! Is the tesla lettering cut out on these as well or is there an overlay vinyl?

Thanks for the pics!
Thanks!
To answer your question - the letters are a cutout. I hope that the letters will be on the same spot on all cars, because I also do this for Model S/X and some % of cars have the letters on a different place for some reason 🤦‍♂️

On the coverage - what is your idea? To cover the two arches that go behind (on the front caliper)?

Reactions: PauliePucks
Thanks!
To answer your question - the letters are a cutout. I hope that the letters will be on the same spot on all cars, because I also do this for Model S/X and some % of cars have the letters on a different place for some reason 🤦‍♂️

On the coverage - what is your idea? To cover the two arches that go behind (on the front caliper)?
Yes, the two arches behind would make it look more complete, even if you managed to wrap them on the prominent face only so it appeared fully wrapped.

I know there could potentially be IP issues, but maybe instead of the cutout lettering, offer an option of solid wrap and include the lettering as an overlay?

Just a thought!

Yes, the two arches behind would make it look more complete, even if you managed to wrap them on the prominent face only so it appeared fully wrapped.

I know there could potentially be IP issues, but maybe instead of the cutout lettering, offer an option of solid wrap and include the lettering as an overlay?

Just a thought!
Thanks, noted, will add it to my todo to work on this when I find the time.
As for the letter being overlay - I tried that, but they are so tiny that weeding them is a nightmare...not scalable at all, so I've decided against it. I might at some point start printing them though.

Reactions: PauliePucks
It's too small on the 3 to be made...it literally can't stick on this small thing. Or am I mistaken of what's wanted? 🤔
The equivalent of this but for the 3?

The equivalent of this but for the 3?

Just checked my wife's model 3... so the lip part of the black plastic under the rear bumper is tiny...not really a viable product I think.
Perhaps the entire plastic though, not just the lip?