Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Calipers - What changed in late 2016?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The red brake calipers available on tesla.com have a disclaimer that reads "This upgrade is only available for vehicles built prior to 11/22/2016".

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what changed after that date? Are older calipers no longer compatible with the refreshed cars?

I read somewhere that the rear calipers now have the parking brake in them instead of in a separate caliper.

Correct -- sometime late 2016, non-P models now only have one rear caliper with fewer pistons. It serves as both the regular brake and parking brake.

But I see a lot of recent-build P100D models which still have 2 calipers.

(FWIW I doubt there's any performance difference the average driver will notice between the old and new brake design. It's a smart cost-reducing and simplifying move)

Thanks everyone. My search terms were originally pulling up nothing, but now that you pointed out the new integrated rear calipers I was able to find all of the existing threads on this topic.

Ruins my plan of buying a temporary set of used calipers to use while I have my brand new ones powder coated. :p