Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Call and ask about Dual Motor badge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Snow Drift

[Off-Road Assist] Activated
Feb 10, 2016
Long Island
I called my local SC and they said that their method for Dual Motor badges is to install as cars come in for service.

Well, my car is doing fine so I asked if I could get an appointment just for the badge. They checked around and scheduled the appointment.

Here is it fresh:

614F4072-FDF1-404C-8315-E13649DC9992.jpeg

Attachments

• 9653B1CF-8265-4739-B0C4-4FDA6C80C4CE.jpeg
    9653B1CF-8265-4739-B0C4-4FDA6C80C4CE.jpeg
    725.1 KB · Views: 115
  • Informative
Reactions: Pied
I called my local SC and they said that their method for Dual Motor badges is to install as cars come in for service.
TBH, my concern will rather be how to prevent them from installing the badge when I bring in my car for service the next time. I like it better without the badge. Perhaps I'll stick a post-it saying "NO!!!" in the place on the trunk lid where the bade is supposed to go. ;)

Thanks for the heads up. If I ever take my car in service I'll make sure to tell them to NOT install the badge.
I like my cars debadged
I don't find the "Dual Motor" or "Dual Motor" very appealing.

I would prefer "4WD" or "4WD P"

Why not having "Single Motor", "Mid Range", or "Standard Range"

I wonder then if the 2020 Roadster will get a "Three Motors" or even "Three Three-Phase Electric Motor"

I’m betting we’ll start seeing this badging on the newly-100kWh-only S and X instead of “100D” and “P100D.” Badging across the line needs to sync up at some point, and that’s the unfortunate direction they are headed. I would have much preferred “75”, “75D” and “P75D” badging for the Model 3 with relevant badging changes for other battery pack options

For me, I don't like badging and have taken it off of the last cars I have owned. I just don't find it necessary to tell everyone on the road the trim level (or engine/battery size) of my car.
Badging is outdated. Do you see an X (or whatever is the latest $1K phone) on the iPhone?

I’m betting we’ll start seeing this badging on the newly-100kWh-only S and X instead of “100D” and “P100D.” Badging across the line needs to sync up at some point, and that’s the unfortunate direction they are headed. I would have much preferred “75”, “75D” and “P75D” badging for the Model 3 with relevant badging changes for other battery pack options

They want to take the number off the cars.. and I believe thats because they feel they can deliver the same power with less batteries in the future.

If they call it "75D or P75D" then they have to provide that much power. If they call it "long range" they can do whatever they want to meet the mileage stated.

This isnt much different than Mfrs like BMW de coupling the model numbers from the engine size.

I have said this before, but forum people do not represent the general populace. 'Merica, in general, is very badge conscious. This is why "lexus, infiniti, acura, genesis" exist, instead of just being upscale trims of their respective manufacturers. In fact, urban legend says that toyota created the name "lexus" as "Luxury EXport to US".

Since Most americans are badge conscious, the manufacturer should deliver the car with the badge, and let people who dont want it take it off.

I havent decided if I am going to put it on or not. If I put on the dual motor badge, I will have it painted satin black like my tesla badges are when I did the chrome delete. I am leaning toward not putting it on, however. I am not particularly badge conscious, but I will not be removing the "M40i" from my wifes new X3, so....

One more thing on badging... after spending a long time on car forums, one constant tends to be represented regarding badging.

people with the "top trim" badge are almost never the same people who like the "clean lines" that debadging provides.. at least outside of tesla.

Take BMWs for example (the brand I am most familiar with). VERY VERY VERY rare to see any debadge true M car. VERY VERY common to see a debadged 320, or 330. People who buy 528s on forums would always say "I like the clean lines" and people who have M550s leave that baby on there, man.

I am not saying that to point out anyone or anything in this thread... just stating what I have seen over the years.

Take BMWs for example (the brand I am most familiar with).

VERY VERY VERY rare to see any debadge true M car.
VERY VERY common to see a debadged 320, or 330.

People who buy 528s on forums would always say "I like the clean lines"
and people who have M550s leave that baby on there, man
Most of the time, you can have an idea of the (sub) model, by looking at the size (width) of the tires.

TBH, my concern will rather be how to prevent them from installing the badge when I bring in my car for service the next time. I like it better without the badge. Perhaps I'll stick a post-it saying "NO!!!" in the place on the trunk lid where the bade is supposed to go. ;)

Ah like using a permanent marker to write on your left leg that it's not the leg to be operated on!

• Love
Reactions: Tron 3
We didn't respond when we got the email about the group badging they were doing in the Bay area. Decided I'd probably like to have the badge but not installed. I'd have my detailer install if I change my mind. Now if the rear badging were the TESLA like on the new Roadster (instead of the Tesla T -- I happen to really love the look of the spread out letters), I would agree to have that installed. I'm fine with the Tesla T emblems on the front and rear but don't really care if anyone knows I have an AWD model. And it's certainly not a status symbol of any kind in my mind. The About screen on the car indicates it's AWD so good enough for me.

As for indicating the battery size if they keep making the batteries more efficient they will be reducing that kW number down yet getting more range out of it, so to the Average Joe that might be confusing.

Last edited:
@SMAlset

I think I am going to do the same as you, take the badge but not put it on, I actually do like the look of the car with no badging, and also feel like it would be a bit unbalanced with the badge on the right, and nothing on the left. I also dont want to order something aftermarket to put on the left.

If the car had been delivered with the badge, I dont know if I would have taken it off (probably had it painted satin black like the "T" tesla logos my installer did... but since its not there, I have become accustomed to the look. I will be putting on the spoiler whenever they give it to me (or, taking it and asking the detailer to put it on, more likely.. havent 100 percent decided on that, but I know I want it on there).

I wish they would just offer to mail mine.

Based on how sloppy they mounted the front license bracket, I think I’ll do it myself, if I chose to mount it at all.

What gets me is I questioned the guy when putting my license bracket on that he didn’t need or use some sort of jig. And he bragged about how many he perfectly placed. He not only was off a good 2” from center but was also not correct vertically either to make proper contact with the curved shape of the bumper. When I looked at it, it took nothing to take it off because it was not making much contact. Ugh.

I do agree with some arguments that dual motor makes non-EV people think its some sort of hybrid, people dont need any help having trouble understanding all electric vehicle concepts. I know tesla wants the car to be identified by its range, which is hilarious, range is so dynamic and even more unpredictable. Some of my coworkers have asked which one I have, and i usually say long range and when they ask how many miles i get i say, oh 250-300, cuz thats the truth, I will never see 310, as will most "dual motor" folks,

I might have changed my mind about getting the Dual Motor badging in case my car ever needs or gets a tow and people are clueless knowing what I have. Going to ask for it but will have my detailer put it on (had PPF and ceramic put on it so know they’ll have to work on removing some of the ceramic there). I do like the cleaner look though.