Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Call from Tesla asking me to cancel Plaid+ and take a Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got off the phone with SA manager Portland. Verified we would get FSD for $8 but had to pay the additional $10k. Seems to think we could have a car by the end of the month. Not sure if I'll screw myself if we bite too soon. I can see folks in a couple of weeks getting the original price and we''' be screwed having committed too early.
That's really frustrating. Pay $1k to get a car in October, have it cancelled, then have them not honor the timing of the original reservation by switching it to the version that didn't get cancelled.

I would argue that when the new Plaid came out, old Plaid orders were automatically transferred to Plaid+. When Elon tweeted the Plaid+ was cancelled, all outstanding orders should have been transferred to regular Plaid effective that date, which was prior to the 10k increase.

But, there’s no law saying you have to be logical, haha. A company can decide they want to screw people over… but a public company like TSLA has to worry about quarterly revenue sooooo, haha.

Reactions: oktane
I would argue that when the new Plaid came out, old Plaid orders were automatically transferred to Plaid+. When Elon tweeted the Plaid+ was cancelled, all outstanding orders should have been transferred to regular Plaid effective that date, which was prior to the 10k increase.

But, there’s no law saying you have to be logical, haha. A company can decide they want to screw people over… but a public company like TSLA has to worry about quarterly revenue sooooo, haha.

Totally agree. I want to argue with the sales guy just based on principle, but I should figure out if I actually want the Plaid first. Would be a jerk move to argue with him to get the $10k off, then say, "nah".

on the advice of my sales person I am going ahead and creating a new order for the Plaid. I told him I want this escalated further and can't believe this is how they really want to treat long time customers (2015), shareholders and owners of multiple Teslas. I told him I would trust that they are going to do the right thing and will bet the $100 fee on it. I'm fairly confident this is a case of Elon's intentions not getting filtered down to the correct actions in every case. I get that they feel the Plaid is a worth more and that a price increase is supportable. But those of us with + reservations shouldn't have been dropped between 2 chairs while they were figuring things out. I am also keeping my + reservation. I won't be the party to cancel it and as far as I can tell I still have one for only $10k more than the Plaid.

Totally agree. I want to argue with the sales guy just based on principle, but I should figure out if I actually want the Plaid first. Would be a jerk move to argue with him to get the $10k off, then say, "nah".

Argue with him for the rest of us! I read on here there will be a meeting on Tuesday that will help determine how to handle our situation so the louder we can be between now and then, the better!

I have a 2018 Model S. My critical criterion is the range. The new S Long Range advertises 412 miles. My critical distance is 378 miles from Huntsvlle AL to Panama City Beach FL. My wife won't go in my S because of the hour-long charging stop required. What does anyone advise as to whether the new S Long Range will actually make my 378 mile trip in hot or cold or rainy weather?? Do I have to wait another year for a Plaid +?
Why an hour? Shouldn't be more than 20 mins for a top-up.

While I've ordered an LR (before the upgrade), they did offer me "priority delivery" if I kept my order but paid the extra for the refresh. I did of course, but I'm under no illusions that "priority delivery" is even a thing. At this rate none of these cars will ever get delivered anyway, they just keep pushing out the dates :D

I got the call today over my plaid + reservation (reserved on battery day). Same as everyone else, buy at the higher price or get your refund back. Said he would put it in the file that I declined to convert over the price increase, and they will refund my $1000. Nice loan I provided.

My thought is that in 6 months once demand is taken care of, it will revert back to the lower price. And sometime next year, the plaid + will be back.

First experience with buying a Tesla and been the worst car buying experience I've ever had, with a complete lack of communication and constant issues. I ordered a Model S plaid plus in February, at dealership, in Charlotte, NC. The salesperson told me I would receive the car in the middle of this year. I found out through the internet that it was delayed to the end of the year. Then again I found out on the internet it's delayed until middle of next year. Zero communication from anyone at Tesla. Had to send several emails for both delays to get a response from someone in order to confirm if the delays I saw online were true or just rumors.

Saturday before last I received a call from someone named Shannon at Tesla asking if I want to take delivery of a Model s plaid base sooner. She communicated that my plaid plus reservation is still good and I will definitely receive the car next year. I told her I'll do some due diligence online regarding the base plaid, then get back to her on Monday. I go online the next day (Sunday) and find out that a nonchalant (even condescending) tweet is made that the car which was promised to me is now canceled. When I spoke to Shannon on the phone the day before, she did not tell me this! On Monday, I called her to confirm If I will or won't receive the car as she promised two days prior. She tells me it's cancelled. So I tell her that I'll do research and get back to her shortly regarding the base plaid. I call her on Wednesday with some questions. She answers my basic questions and promises I will receive better communication, given the complete lack of communication previously. We also discussed the price and timing of plaid. On Thursday I go online to order the plaid and find out that the price is increased from what she and I discussed by $10,000. She never told me this was happening! I emailed her Friday morning to let her know about this increase that I saw, fully expecting to be grandfathered into the price, that we had discussed. She tells me she can't do that.

I feel completely misled throughout this car buying experience and feel taken advantage of. It certainly feels like Tesla held my deposit for several months, with no intent to deliver what was promised. Interest free loan. Furthermore, given the circumstances and the situation, I would expect at minimum the price discussed with Shannon and at the time of plus cancellation would be honored for the base car.

I've tried to escalate, sent email to customer service, and office of Elon Musk. No response from customer service or office of CEO. Escalated to two levels above Shannon and just receive a canned response that they can't do anything. Unbelievable!

When I spoke to Shannon on the phone the day before, she did not tell me this!
The problem is that nobody knew it was going to be cancelled. The other problem is that no one (who was customer-facing) knew the price was going up $10,000. The other, larger, problem is that Plaid orders from last year were automatically converted to Plaid+, but when that was cancelled, they were not automatically converted back to Plaid orders - ALTHOUGH, they're not blanket-cancelling all the orders as they said they would, they're just calling people and asking what they want to do with them. Mine is still there as I said I'll buy a Plaid if they give me the original price for it. We're having a discussion on it over here: Plaid+ reservation holders: what is Tesla telling you?

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
So I got a call from Tesla last week to change my order from Plaid+ to Plaid and they said they would reflect the pre-price increase of FSD to $8,000 when and if I would change my order. I did so but have yet to see the change and they said they would have it on file but today I got a update on my order and it looks like they have made the change for the MSRP of the Plaid itself to reflect the pre price increase from $129,900 to $119,900. I'm following up with the advisor to see if they will still honor the FSD preprice increase.

So I got a call from Tesla last week to change my order from Plaid+ to Plaid and they said they would reflect the pre-price increase of FSD to $8,000 when and if I would change my order. I did so but have yet to see the change and they said they would have it on file but today I got a update on my order and it looks like they have made the change for the MSRP of the Plaid itself to reflect the pre price increase from $129,900 to $119,900. I'm following up with the advisor to see if they will still honor the FSD preprice increase.
I'm in the same boat, please keep us posted here (or here). Thanks!

First experience with buying a Tesla and been the worst car buying experience I've ever had, with a complete lack of communication and constant issues. I ordered a Model S plaid plus in February, at dealership, in Charlotte, NC. The salesperson told me I would receive the car in the middle of this year. I found out through the internet that it was delayed to the end of the year. Then again I found out on the internet it's delayed until middle of next year. Zero communication from anyone at Tesla. Had to send several emails for both delays to get a response from someone in order to confirm if the delays I saw online were true or just rumors.

Saturday before last I received a call from someone named Shannon at Tesla asking if I want to take delivery of a Model s plaid base sooner. She communicated that my plaid plus reservation is still good and I will definitely receive the car next year. I told her I'll do some due diligence online regarding the base plaid, then get back to her on Monday. I go online the next day (Sunday) and find out that a nonchalant (even condescending) tweet is made that the car which was promised to me is now canceled. When I spoke to Shannon on the phone the day before, she did not tell me this! On Monday, I called her to confirm If I will or won't receive the car as she promised two days prior. She tells me it's cancelled. So I tell her that I'll do research and get back to her shortly regarding the base plaid. I call her on Wednesday with some questions. She answers my basic questions and promises I will receive better communication, given the complete lack of communication previously. We also discussed the price and timing of plaid. On Thursday I go online to order the plaid and find out that the price is increased from what she and I discussed by $10,000. She never told me this was happening! I emailed her Friday morning to let her know about this increase that I saw, fully expecting to be grandfathered into the price, that we had discussed. She tells me she can't do that.

I feel completely misled throughout this car buying experience and feel taken advantage of. It certainly feels like Tesla held my deposit for several months, with no intent to deliver what was promised. Interest free loan. Furthermore, given the circumstances and the situation, I would expect at minimum the price discussed with Shannon and at the time of plus cancellation would be honored for the base car.

I've tried to escalate, sent email to customer service, and office of Elon Musk. No response from customer service or office of CEO. Escalated to two levels above Shannon and just receive a canned response that they can't do anything. Unbelievable!
So I received a call from Shannon yesterday that Tesla will honor previous price on Plaid. So I went ahead and ordered white on white. Will keep you posted how that goes if anyone interested? I believe i had to escalate two levels up to make this happen.

Reactions: JRP3
data point:
my Plaid+ order auto converted (I did nothing except not answer the phone when they called) to Plaid with FSD only option at $129,990. The order agt shows the original plaid price (139k) with FSD at 8k. With carbon fiber interior it says delivery not until August. I haven’t yet progressed further through the order process but will do so sometime

I also was called and not told anything about the Plaid+ cancellation and I declined. In fact, I had two Plaid+'s ordered. Today I was emailed about both Plaid+'s and instructed to proceed with my order. I responded to the email and went to the website to cancel the orders, which I did but the !@#$%^&*s are trying to keep the deposits totaling $2K. Anyone else run into this?

I also was called and not told anything about the Plaid+ cancellation and I declined. In fact, I had two Plaid+'s ordered. Today I was emailed about both Plaid+'s and instructed to proceed with my order. I responded to the email and went to the website to cancel the orders, which I did but the !@#$%^&*s are trying to keep the deposits totaling $2K. Anyone else run into this?

Yeah, and even if you keep your order they seem to be charging an inexplicable $1,000 "order fee" in addition to the $1,200 document fee. Never heard of such a thing, $1,000 to make a few mouse clicks.