Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Call from Tesla asking me to cancel Plaid+ and take a Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a call from Tesla. They're offering a "priority" delivery of a Plaid if I cancel my Plaid+ pre-order.
When I asked what Priority meant, he said it's a June delivery, which is what you can get on the website anyway.
He also said that the only difference is the range, which I'm not sure I believe.

What are ya'll doing? Waiting for Plaid+ or taking a Plaid now?

Aside from the range and quicker speed, I’m not sure there’s any difference. The P+ may not see daylight until 2022, so if you’re willing to wait, then wait. If speed, range and “bragging rights” don’t matter so much and you want to save around $30,000, and get the car sooner, then take their offer to swap.
I’ll just wait for the standard S - though I do have the tri-motor CT on reserve as well.

I got the same call. Ignored it and it went to voicemail. Thing is I'm in no rush to upgrade from my Ludicrous P85D even though it's getting really long in the tooth. I want to see major upgrades across the board before I spend another 100k+ on a Tesla. I have no desire to be a guinea pig on an updated platform. I'll gladly wait 6+ months into production and my ability to walk into a store, see the fit & finish first hand and test drive it. Then and only then will I consider following through on my Plaid/Plaid+ pre-order.

I got the same call. Ignored it and it went to voicemail. Thing is I'm in no rush to upgrade from my Ludicrous P85D even though it's getting really long in the tooth. I want to see major upgrades across the board before I spend another 100k+ on a Tesla. I have no desire to be a guinea pig on an updated platform. I'll gladly wait 6+ months into production and my ability to walk into a store, see the fit & finish first hand and test drive it. Then and only then will I consider following through on my Plaid/Plaid+ pre-order.
Great point.

Excellent point. They make it sound as though they are doing you a favor by placing you higher in the queue for a vehicle you didn’t order.

When in reality they are just attempting to pad their sales figures and offering you the chance to beta test a new product.

Not a great deal, IMO.

Same call and I also refused.

I have a P85D Ludicrous ... my primary complaint about it is range, so it's kinda pointless to upgrade to the "Plaid" and not just wait for the "Plaid+". As other said, it also means there will be time for the bugs to be worked out first, too.

Also, as far as differences, while the 0-60 may be the same due to the limit of traction, I'd be the quarter mile times are going to be much better with the Plaid+

With that said, Tesla also stopped taking new orders for Plaid+ ... so who knows if it will even ever be delivered.

Reactions: alloverx

Yep. Got a Model 3 LR and will drive it until the CT has been out for half a year, and then try to get a CT until Plaid+ has been out for half a year and I also expect CT to bring down the Plaid and Plaid+ prices (if not, then I will just stick to CT).

I'm not so convinced they have lots of orders for the Plaid, not many people with experience from Tesla would go for bleeding edge delayed builds.

That is a lot of calls - sounds like it was a directive from the top. Will the quarter ending rush ever slow down?
The leap of faith someone would have to take to get a June Plaid delivery amazes me. But I also get the "cool" factor to be the first on the block to have the latest and greatest, there is just no way I would take the risk to do that. Especially with a service center that won't return emails, calls and won't give you a loaner.
I would guess most early adopters have an extra car lying around.

When I had the call today I decided to do it. I was attracted most by torque vectoring, active noise reduction and a handful of entirely irrational factors. I’m not bothered about early production mostly because that has nit been a problem for my past early production purchases, with three horrible exceptions. No problems with my two early production Tesla models.

Reactions: mmanner
Got the call too. Funny thing is, I had Plaid on order, switched to + after all delays. Figured if I have to wait six moths, I can wait another year. I have CT on order, dreaming of Roadster 2020, but who knows what Tesla will deliver?

Reactions: SilverGS
I have a 2018 Model S. My critical criterion is the range. The new S Long Range advertises 412 miles. My critical distance is 378 miles from Huntsvlle AL to Panama City Beach FL. My wife won't go in my S because of the hour-long charging stop required. What does anyone advise as to whether the new S Long Range will actually make my 378 mile trip in hot or cold or rainy weather?? Do I have to wait another year for a Plaid +?

I have a 2018 Model S. My critical criterion is the range. The new S Long Range advertises 412 miles. My critical distance is 378 miles from Huntsvlle AL to Panama City Beach FL. My wife won't go in my S because of the hour-long charging stop required. What does anyone advise as to whether the new S Long Range will actually make my 378 mile trip in hot or cold or rainy weather?? Do I have to wait another year for a Plaid +?
You do not have to stop for an hour to charge. You can probably stop twice for 15 minutes or a single 30 minute lunch break. Drive until you are down to @50 miles and charge for 15 minutes - you should add 100+ miles of range. That should get you to your destination. Worst case do it again. The trick is to get as low as you can depending on spacing of superchargers, and never try to charge over 80% (unless you have free time). That will give you your fastest charging.

Just saw this thread. I also received the same call and refused. Like others upthread I have a P85D that I love but is long in the tooth. My real-world (as opposed to fantasies bout the Nurbergring) justification for the plaid+ is also range. I also don't want to be an early-adopter (guinea pig) because I want to hear about others' experience with the yoke. Finally, I want to see more info on and experience with the EQS and hopefully the EQS AMG before making a decision on the replacement for the P85D.

Since I accepted the change I was amazed that my insurance cost rose by 90$ US when switching from my 2018 Model 3P to the Plaid.
The price alone suggests theories would be much greater. My Progressive employee said every new Tesla has better safety than the previous ones, that's why nut your 10 years with no accidents helps too. BTW, that is despite a very large claim on my car when a friend was driving. They did not penalize me. Amazing, although I'm choosing friends more carefully also.

• Funny
Reactions: repoanything
You do not have to stop for an hour to charge. You can probably stop twice for 15 minutes or a single 30 minute lunch break. Drive until you are down to @50 miles and charge for 15 minutes - you should add 100+ miles of range. That should get you to your destination. Worst case do it again. The trick is to get as low as you can depending on spacing of superchargers, and never try to charge over 80% (unless you have free time). That will give you your fastest charging.

new S will charge faster than your 2018, especially as more V3 superchargers deploy.