Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Call from Tesla asking me to cancel Plaid+ and take a Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got that same call last Saturday. Like others, refused to “downgrade”. Primary reason is range, secondary is handling (potentially lighter cells, but more importantly: structural rigidity). Yes, I plan on tracking the Plaid+ just like I do my current M3P.

Only other point I’ll add to the call is that the Tesla employee mentioned I’d have to cancel my Plaid+ order and start a new Plaid order. When I asked what that would mean for my place in line, given the thousands of other pending orders for the Plaid, he hesitated and just said “you’d get yours by late June, early July at the latest”. Yeah, right.. is what I thought to myself.

Got the call as well and, like another poster further up, have my doubts about + delivery and Elon time. He may very well have gotten out over his skies again with availability of the new cell design which tells me another year may turn into two or more........

Thinking of doing the regular Plaid. I do not launch my P85D anymore but would really like a little more 40-80 mph performance which a 152 mph trap speed would indicate you get with the Plaid.

Anyone here have the S with Raven suspension (adjustable stuff)? Any feedback on how damping/handling compares with the early firmer P85D suspension?

Reactions: alloverx
Got the call as well and, like another poster further up, have my doubts about + delivery and Elon time. He may very well have gotten out over his skies again with availability of the new cell design which tells me another year may turn into two or more........

Thinking of doing the regular Plaid. I do not launch my P85D anymore but would really like a little more 40-80 mph performance which a 152 mph trap speed would indicate you get with the Plaid.

Anyone here have the S with Raven suspension (adjustable stuff)? Any feedback on how damping/handling compares with the early firmer P85D suspension?

I have a 2019 model S Performance with Ludicrous and adjustable suspension. I think it handles better albeit marginally. My car says it gets 340 range fully charged, but I made a 180 mile trip from Kansas City to Omaha today and barely made it home.

I have had a new model S LR on order since beginning of Feb. I would like to wait for the P+ but I just wonder how much better my range will be when it's officially 410 but the real world will prob be less as well. Worth it to upgrade to the newer model and loose the P with L?

Knowing you and guessing you like your suspension like me, I would wait for the Plaid+. I have driven almost every model since my P85D and nothing Tesla has produced since that early model (till early 2015) comes even close to the Plus suspension. My take from the Plaid+ is that we will see the return of a firmer Plus suspension, as Tesla won’t need to appeal to the “masses” that enjoy a softer ride. Such folks can stick to the Plaid or LR ;)

I have a 2018 Model S. My critical criterion is the range. The new S Long Range advertises 412 miles. My critical distance is 378 miles from Huntsvlle AL to Panama City Beach FL. My wife won't go in my S because of the hour-long charging stop required. What does anyone advise as to whether the new S Long Range will actually make my 378 mile trip in hot or cold or rainy weather?? Do I have to wait another year for a Plaid +?
I will be surprised if you you make the 378mile trip with no charging stops. I find at 80mph, you lose about 30% of range. YMMV.
But, probably a 15 min stop for charging is all you will need.

Reactions: msm859
With this late late late cancellation there has to be some kind of technical problem. Since the only real difference between plaid and plaid+ is the 4680 battery, the cancellation do cast some dark shadows on the Roadster future and even the 4680 across the board.

IMO, it suggests that they are not ready to manufacture the 4680 in the sort of scale they need. Am sure it'll happen: they have a lot riding on it... just not as soon as they hoped.
Maybe - but the Plaid+ was not scheduled until late 2021 and that could easily have been moved to sometime in 2022. It's a big step removing it completely from the lineup from just postponing the launch once more.

I suspect orders for the Plaid+ aren't what they hoped so they cancelled it.
My impression is that there were a lot of orders, mainly for the unparalleled range. 0-60 in under 2s is fun for the YouTube video, but it gets old almost as fast as it hits 60. However being able to have the impressive range of the Plaid+ would be used way more than the acceleration and would certaintly alone be worth the extra cost over the LR model.

My guess is that they could just not hit the range numbers for the Plaid+

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I think the only difference between a plaid and a LR is the third motor and lower range (for the plaid). So what am I getting for the additional $40k? This is a huge increase for not much physical difference. Yea I do get that it would have the "fastest production car" halo but that's a lot of money. I ordered a Plaid + in faith that they were going to do enough changes to make it seem like I was actually getting more. Does the LR get a yoke?

If true, Elon just pulled an Elon except now its over promise, can not deliver on time so we will just cancel. That's a new one (unless you consider the Roadster that has yet to be).
No, you don’t understand. Tesla cancelled the Plaid+ because it was just too good.

You’ve heard of companies cancelling products because they didn’t want to overwhelm the world with excellence before, right? I mean, what other reason could there be to cancel it?

I think it also comes down to economics.
1) March 2021 $10,000 price increase, but Tesla honors the old price on original reservations.
2) March 2021 announce delay of about 9 months
3) May 2021 they stop taking new reservations (at the hire price).
4) May/June 2021 Tesla called reservation holders and tried to get them to switch to Model S Plaid, which at this point is a much more profitable car for Tesla and brings in money sooner. I suspect that people, like myself. that have early reservations at the original price are less likely to switch to a Model S than those who made later reservations at the after the $10,000 price increase. I wonder if it would have been still profitable for Tesla to further develop and manufacture the Plaid +.
5) June they cancel the Paid + all together.

Semi conductors and precious metals have gone up in price since the Paid was originally announced.

Just a theory.