Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Call from Tesla asking me to cancel Plaid+ and take a Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a rep talk to his manager, said as long as -nothing- changes, with your order, it should be able to converted to without the $10k upcharge. I approved that and told him to convert it yesterday... My Plaid+ order still shows as Plaid+, but my Roadster order went from "Referral award" to "Awaiting deposit", so I know they're changing things but it doesn't appear to be for the better :S

I'll give it a couple of days and contact them again... at least I have it in text they agreed to it, right?

I had a rep talk to his manager, said as long as -nothing- changes, with your order, it should be able to converted to without the $10k upcharge. I approved that and told him to convert it yesterday... My Plaid+ order still shows as Plaid+, but my Roadster order went from "Referral award" to "Awaiting deposit", so I know they're changing things but it doesn't appear to be for the better :S

I'll give it a couple of days and contact them again... at least I have it in text they agreed to it, right?
Did you happen to ask about getting fsd for $8k?

Did you happen to ask about getting fsd for $8k?
He said it was very clear that if your order shows $8k for FSD, you will pay $8k for FSD with your Plaid, but that "the language was murky" in relation to converting older Plaid+ orders over, which is why he had to check with his manager. I'm still uneasy that they weren't able to convert my order immediately, but as @cassiri said, Tesla normally does right - just not always right away. Sometimes they need a little prodding, lol.

Reactions: cryptyk
He said it was very clear that if your order shows $8k for FSD, you will pay $8k for FSD with your Plaid, but that "the language was murky" in relation to converting older Plaid+ orders over, which is why he had to check with his manager. I'm still uneasy that they weren't able to convert my order immediately, but as @cassiri said, Tesla normally does right - just not always right away. Sometimes they need a little prodding, lol.
Thanks for the intel. I'm really on the fence. The new Plaid is pretty sick and it sounds like I'll get it at a $12k discount ($10k less on the base and $2k less on the FSD). That said, I'm not sure it's worth the upgrade from my P100D. I figure I could get $70k for my P100D and the Plaid will cost me $135k.
Not sure the upgrade is worth $65k especially when there's a decent chance that Plaid will have more hardware changes in the next 12-18 months (4680 pipe dream?)

Thanks for the intel. I'm really on the fence. The new Plaid is pretty sick and it sounds like I'll get it at a $12k discount ($10k less on the base and $2k less on the FSD). That said, I'm not sure it's worth the upgrade from my P100D. I figure I could get $70k for my P100D and the Plaid will cost me $135k.
Not sure the upgrade is worth $65k especially when there's a decent chance that Plaid will have more hardware changes in the next 12-18 months (4680 pipe dream?)
That's the big thing - I love the current plaid, and if they said "4680 comes to the S in 18-24 months", I'd have no trouble buying now and upgrading again in ~3 years... but if it's less than a year away I'd be pretty annoyed haha. That said, the new S supercharges super fast anyway now, so it's more evolutionary than revolutionary it seems (in benefits).

I looked at the HP curves and it put a big smile on my face. The jump from the P100DL to the Plaid appears to be about the same as the jump from my P85 to my P85DL. If that is the case, the Plaid will be a monster (and worth $65K providing you are sitting on the right wallet).

I looked at the HP curves and it put a big smile on my face. The jump from the P100DL to the Plaid appears to be about the same as the jump from my P85 to my P85DL. If that is the case, the Plaid will be a monster (and worth $65K providing you are sitting on the right wallet).
It's less about the money and more about my [likely misguided] belief that they're going to launch a new Plaid model in the next 18 months. If they figure out 4680 and put it in the Plaid in 18 months, I don't want to have to upgrade again. It's starting to feel like a cell-phone where you have to upgrade every few years.
First world problems, I know...

Just got off the phone with SA manager Portland. Verified we would get FSD for $8 but had to pay the additional $10k. Seems to think we could have a car by the end of the month. Not sure if I'll screw myself if we bite too soon. I can see folks in a couple of weeks getting the original price and we''' be screwed having committed too early.