Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Call me cynical but hear me out...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They don't need the cash and it's not much at all. This cash thing is mostly something both trolls and fanboys are using to their own advantage. Trolls argue that Tesla is doing it just for cash and that's not ok, fanboys are gonna say more cash is good.

This is about AWD and P version, better understanding demand and prioritizing those deliveries for much higher margins and higher ASP in Q3. This is the much much larger upside.
The free internet might also be a factor, don't know if only folks that configure get it or reservations too.

They don't need the cash and it's not much at all. This cash thing is mostly something both trolls and fanboys are using to their own advantage. Trolls argue that Tesla is doing it just for cash and that's not ok, fanboys are gonna say more cash is good.

This is about AWD and P version, better understanding demand and prioritizing those deliveries for much higher margins and higher ASP in Q3. This is the much much larger upside.
The free internet might also be a factor, don't know if only folks that configure get it or reservations too.

It’s for orders only. I believe everyone who made a reservation at almost any point can lock in for $2500 more now to get that benefit.

It’s only 8 dollars per month but the demand for “free” stuff is very powerful.

"PALO ALTO, Calif., July 02, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — In the last seven days of Q2, Tesla produced 5,031 Model 3 and 1,913 Model S and X vehicles."
So not only did they achieve 5000 they even surpassed the value by 31.
I thought they made the last car on Sunday at 5AM? Well if you count Sunday as the last day of the week then they did make it. If you count it as the first day then they didn't. Eitherway I'm happy for them. Taking delivery of my 3 in less then two weeks now, hopefully QC hasn't slacked off with the 5K push.

Reactions: adaptabl
It could be a cash grab, but my guess is it's intended to gauge serious interest so Tesla has a really accurate idea of who wants what.

In the past, that didn't matter as much because Tesla would build someone's car sooner or later. With the federal tax credit getting cut in half in less than six months, it matters a lot more.

I thought they made the last car on Sunday at 5AM? Well if you count Sunday as the last day of the week then they did make it. If you count it as the first day then they didn't. Eitherway I'm happy for them. Taking delivery of my 3 in less then two weeks now, hopefully QC hasn't slacked off with the 5K push.
They clearly state in the last 7 days, so it does not matter if you count Monday to Monday, or Saturday to Saturday, 7 days are 1 week worth of production.
I don't know, I was not at the factory to see at what time they did stop the clock to count 5031. But the same source that said they took 5 hours more also said one week ago that they were only producing 4000 model 3 a week, which to me demonstrates that they are just making stuff up

• Disagree
That "5am Sunday" meme was based on when the photo was put up on Twitter. However that was not an authorized disclosure, and it was taken down again (too late, of course). But at least one of the signatures on it was dated June 30. And of course the Form 8-k was quite unambiguous and it would be a federal crime to lie in it. So I know who's making stuff up.

I thought they made the last car on Sunday at 5AM? Well if you count Sunday as the last day of the week then they did make it. If you count it as the first day then they didn't. Eitherway I'm happy for them.

July 1 isn't part of Q2, so it doesn't matter how you place your days in the week, they didn't make it.

Close enough to not really matter, I suppose though.