Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Call support 24/7?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last night I went to a super charger and discovered my car will not super charge. Multiple stalls, 2 button reboot, still wouldn't charge. I had plenty of battery remaining to get me home as I was just going to the charger to test it. I wasn't sure who I call to get help with that at the time.

I went into the app for road side assistance, but when I went through the prompts for car will not charge it made it seem like they would dispatch a person to come pick me up (which I didn't need). I just wanted to get someone to check my car logs and see why it wouldn't charge.

Who do I call in that situation?

Call your local (nearest) service center. Selection #2 for Service, and then the option for "Vehicles Currently in Service" will get you to a Live Person. If they are open (today, on Sunday) then they can look up your logs remotely.

May just have to wait for regular business times if no SC are up.

Hopefully you can still charge via AC, and not run out of juice (both the High Volt Battery and 12V battery) until they can check it out. If your 12V battery dies - then your car can't be driven even if the HV battery is still with juice.

GoodLuck.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jwuwu
Thank you. Yes, I can still charge via AC so I should be fine. I was just wondering if they have live support if I ever did get stranded at a supercharger and couldn't charge.

Do they have some sort of hotline that I could have called at 9:30 PM Saturday night to check out the issue right then and there?

Thank you. Yes, I can still charge via AC so I should be fine. I was just wondering if they have live support if I ever did get stranded at a supercharger and couldn't charge.

Do they have some sort of hotline that I could have called at 9:30 PM Saturday night to check out the issue right then and there?

If you’re out and the car goes kaput then you hit roadside assistance and they’ll send a tow truck, make sure it’s a flat bed!!! Beyond that yeah it’s all via appt through the app.

I sent you a message btw

I had a same situation yesterday looking for a service center around 5pm in Las Vegas as my A/C wouldn’t kick on at 115 degree temps. Finally got a hold of Sales on west Sahara drive and the lady told me Service closed at 1:30pm on Saturday and closed on Sunday and that they would be open on Monday at 9am.

I did the 2 button reboot twice and got the cold air to kick on, (Parked in the shade at the hotel) but it would only take the temp down to the lowest 77 before it would stop blowing cooler air. I also noticed to keep it off the LO setting and just move it to 60 or 61, this extended the time the A/C ran, it doesn’t like the LO (low) setting.

Anyways I could not find a 24 hour hotline to call for help.

Fred

Last night I went to a super charger and discovered my car will not super charge. Multiple stalls, 2 button reboot, still wouldn't charge. I had plenty of battery remaining to get me home as I was just going to the charger to test it. I wasn't sure who I call to get help with that at the time.

I went into the app for road side assistance, but when I went through the prompts for car will not charge it made it seem like they would dispatch a person to come pick me up (which I didn't need). I just wanted to get someone to check my car logs and see why it wouldn't charge.

Who do I call in that situation?

If you do road side assistance through the app, someone typically reaches out to you first before they dispatch anything. That's what happened when the supercharger didn't work for me while I was on my road trip last weekend. In my case, I was texting back and forth with the Tesla service to troubleshoot. Thankfully AC charging still works.

Your issue sounds just like mine. Did you get a message saying "Charging Equipment Fault"? I'm getting it checked out this coming Wednesday to see what's going on.

Last edited:
That's right, charging equipment fault. I'll keep that in mind about using the road side assistance to initiate a conversation with someone. I'll be calling my service center tomorrow to see what they want to do.

I believe this won't happen as long as the DC to DC (HV to 12V) is still working. It will automatically charge the 12V from the traction battery. It sounds like OP has a problem with the dc input part of the PCS or supercharger location.

Hopefully, the HV battery continue able to output DC to the 12V battery.

Your issue sounds just like mine. Did you get a message saying "Charging Equipment Fault"? I'm getting it checked out this coming Wednesday to see what's going on.

My Model 3 week one after delivery started with this charging equipment fault, can't charge AC or DC, with 80% HV battery charge. It was not able to power the 12V battery, which died by the time mobile tech arrived. Flat bed to Service and 1 week in Service later the HV contactor and charging port were replaced. No issue since Dec 2018.

• Helpful
Reactions: kevin1 and jwuwu
My Model 3 week one after delivery started with this charging equipment fault, can't charge AC or DC, with 80% HV battery charge. It was not able to power the 12V battery, which died by the time mobile tech arrived. Flat bed to Service and 1 week in Service later the HV contactor and charging port were replaced. No issue since Dec 2018.

Thank you! Great info I can use for my service appt. I'm thankful mine can at least AC charge. I can't imagine AC and DC stopped working during a road trip and some service centers aren't open on the weekends. Oof. I guess Tesla covers the first 500 miles of towing to the nearest SC but still, that'd suck.

I spoke with support today, and they said they couldn't find anything wrong with the vehicle and all signs point to there being issues with the chargers I was using. I'm going to drive out to a different location today after work and try again.
I stopped at the Baker Ca. Superchargers, there are 40 there. Around 4:30pm, Temps were high 90’s then but windy. The first row of chargers had failed, but the other 30 chargers behind those worked. Freaked me out because 3 chargers had failed back to back, now I’m thinking it’s me. There were about 15 other Tesla charging, mine being the only New Modal Y. The 4th one worked.

It would say preparing to charge and then Stop Charge.

Fred

Be prepared it may get worse. I went to a completely different super charger today (different state). Plugged in. No dice, same issue as Saturday night. One guy was just finishing charging and he left. So I pulled into the stall he was just using. Plugged in. It was working! Started charging, reached 72kw (max at this SC). I thought great, were good to go i just got unlucky with 3 bad chargers. Nope.... about 2 minutes (83 cents worth of charge) into the charge it cut off with the same fault.

I called support again. They didn't try to look at anything, just added this issue to my service appointment Friday. Fine nbd.

I get home and plug in. Oh no... AC charging fault! Tried a 110 and 240v outlet. Same issue. Dead in the water now.

Be prepared it may get worse. I went to a completely different super charger today (different state). Plugged in. No dice, same issue as Saturday night. One guy was just finishing charging and he left. So I pulled into the stall he was just using. Plugged in. It was working! Started charging, reached 72kw (max at this SC). I thought great, were good to go i just got unlucky with 3 bad chargers. Nope.... about 2 minutes (83 cents worth of charge) into the charge it cut off with the same fault.

I called support again. They didn't try to look at anything, just added this issue to my service appointment Friday. Fine nbd.

I get home and plug in. Oh no... AC charging fault! Tried a 110 and 240v outlet. Same issue. Dead in the water now.

Oh nooo, are you close to the SC? If you're close by just drop the car off and tell them you're not getting a charge and it needs to be serviced asap. Thanks for testing it out. Sorry you have to go through this :(

Last edited:
Reactions: DennyL
Yeah, I'm taking it over to my service center (only about 15 miles away) tomorrow. I'm at 65% charge so I have plenty of emergency range left in the tank luckily.

I spoke to support again, and the lady I talked to said her best guess is that the bolt related to the charging port/lines (I forgot the exact name other than it was called a bolt) came loose. She said it is new to the model Y. Seem like a pretty valid guess as everything was working (who knows supercharging may have been working when I first picked it up, but I didn't test until about 200 miles in) and then the more I drove, the worse the charging got. Maybe the bolt was rattling loose as I drove.

• Informative
Yeah, I'm taking it over to my service center (only about 15 miles away) tomorrow. I'm at 65% charge so I have plenty of emergency range left in the tank luckily.

I spoke to support again, and the lady I talked to said her best guess is that the bolt related to the charging port/lines (I forgot the exact name other than it was called a bolt) came loose. She said it is new to the model Y. Seem like a pretty valid guess as everything was working (who knows supercharging may have been working when I first picked it up, but I didn't test until about 200 miles in) and then the more I drove, the worse the charging got. Maybe the bolt was rattling loose as I drove.

The "bolt" maybe the same as the one in this Service Bulletin known to come loose in the Model 3 causing what you and I had experienced.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjALegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw3Imk937s5kz_v-DKVru9Fq

Either way, hope they fix your Y soon.

• Informative
They took the Y in for service and will just be addressing all of my initial minor fit/finish issues/doing an inspection as well as fixing the charge issue. Right now estimated completion date is 7/6. They set me up with a loaner 2015 S P85D locked in chill mode (lame). It came equipped with a bunch of grass in the trunk, but I'm glad I got a loaner.