Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Called, ordered on whim and now questions!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all - I’ve been in the market for a Y for some time now and got a great offer on my BMW X5 that I couldn’t pass up… so I was going to be car-less. I did my standard checking on Tesla like I do everyday 25x and decided to call. They were able to locate me a Model Y Long-Range with MOST of the options I wanted and a couple I didn’t but I had to act quick! It’s black with the white interior (think I prefer over black (top choice) but was kind of neutral), (tow hitch, which I didn’t want), and the 19 inch Gemini wheels (which I didn’t want at the time…). So anyway, I am paying $500 for the transport fee and the extra $1000 for the tow hitch although they did mention it could come in use if I ever wanted to put other attachments on the car?

With that being said, now I need to learn some things about this car I’m about to pickup on Wednesday!

1) Do people want these Gemini rims? I really really wanted the 20 inch black turbines but after reading about the ride, less mileage, how prone they are to scratching, I might want to just powder coat the geminis? I also have now read about the “Martian” rims? They look cool also and seem to be reasonable (especially if I decide to/can sell my Gemini. I see a lot of listings with TPMS… is this not standard for any wheel you get on any new car from Tesla? I’m almost confused as to how any wheels are sold without TPMS?

2) What do I need to look for at delivery? I noticed a lot of comments (just joined this forum like 2 hours ago but trying to learn as much as possible) about paint chips, hood dents, parts falling off haha… any helpful tips about what I should really look over/bring up to the SA?

3) Should I put a universal charging port on my house? Don’t mean to ruffle feathers but good chance I get say a Rivian or different brand EV. Is there anything special I need to install? I remember the Tesla sales guy said they have a “universal” charger now, is that what I go with? Any idea of general cost for equipment/install?

4) Are there still EV incentives for Teslas (NY)?

5) Coolest features I need to know about? Anything at all I’m missing that I should be asking?

Thank you all in advance for your help. I’m excited to get this car and being able to not have to “drive” in traffic!

1. People regularly purchase Geminis for winter tires. You might check out T Sportline’s products as they have some nice wheels similar to Induction and Uberturbine.
  2. Google ”Tesla delivery checklist“. I ended up comb a few lists.
  3. Your call

Aesthetics are very personal, but I think the 19” Geminis without the aero covers look better than the 20” Induction wheels. As a bonus, the ride is more comfortable, the mileage is better, and the tires are a lot cheaper when you need to replace them. Powder coat them if you don’t like the color, but I think the silver looks great on some of the car colors, especially white.

Aesthetics are very personal, but I think the 19” Geminis without the aero covers look better than the 20” Induction wheels. As a bonus, the ride is more comfortable, the mileage is better, and the tires are a lot cheaper when you need to replace them. Powder coat them if you don’t like the color, but I think the silver looks great on some of the car colors, especially white.
Yeh agree - def personal preference. Appreciate the response.

Anyone with any answers to any of my other questions? Also as an addition, really don’t want to spend $4-7k on PPF, anyone do the ceramic coating themselves?

Thanks!

I know you're trying to shortcut this, but answers to many of your questions can be found by simply searching this forum and Google. You'll learn all you need to know and more with seat time.

I would also seek to understand if you're still on the hook for the transport fee if you find the vehicle condition unacceptable upon arrival. I would not let them sell me on something I don't want, like an exterior paint color/interior combo or the tow option. Seems a number of your questions are super basic. This is not a vehicle you want to purchase in haste. Slow things down some and research, research, research.

Yeh agree - def personal preference. Appreciate the response.

Anyone with any answers to any of my other questions? Also as an addition, really don’t want to spend $4-7k on PPF, anyone do the ceramic coating themselves?

Thanks!
The ride is pretty stiff, even on the geminis. Stepping up in size will result in an even rougher ride. That was what convinced me to go with the geminis.

Ceramic is a different topic than PPF really, even though people talk about them like they are the same. It’s better compared to wax as far as what it’s used for/what it does, but it lasts longer. Some people even use ceramic over PPF. Ceramic alone won’t stop the paint from being damaged by rock chips.

The front bumper and hood get damaged pretty quickly from highway driving because of the large flat painted surface (no grill). You can buy pre-cut PPF for a few hundred bucks and install it yourself on the bumper and hood. Bearded Tesla Guy has some good videos on youtube about installing PPF yourself.

Another useful thing for protecting the paint is the front mud flaps - they prevent damage to your rear doors.

The ride is pretty stiff, even on the geminis. Stepping up in size will result in an even rougher ride. That was what convinced me to go with the geminis.

Ceramic is a different topic than PPF really, even though people talk about them like they are the same. It’s better compared to wax as far as what it’s used for/what it does, but it lasts longer. Some people even use ceramic over PPF. Ceramic alone won’t stop the paint from being damaged by rock chips.

The front bumper and hood get damaged pretty quickly from highway driving because of the large flat painted surface (no grill). You can buy pre-cut PPF for a few hundred bucks and install it yourself on the bumper and hood. Bearded Tesla Guy has some good videos on youtube about installing PPF yourself.

Another useful thing for protecting the paint is the front mud flaps - they prevent damage to your rear doors.
That’s def helpful. Really interesting about the precut pieces of PPF. Would the rest of the car not look somewhat different though?

That’s def helpful. Really interesting about the precut pieces of PPF. Would the rest of the car not look somewhat different though?
You really can’t see the PPF unless you are looking for it up close. Even then it is hard to see except the edges. You won’t notice a difference between the covered and uncovered panels.