Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Calling 6 seat Model X owners with kids (teenagers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just upgraded from an S to an X…6 seater. I have 4 kids (5, 12, 14 and 15) and wanted a vehicle we could all fit in other than my wife’s van. The kids love the X. For anyone who has had one a while, how do you encourage your kids to get to the back seat? Do you have them climb over the captains chair and up the middle? Or do you have them hit the button to tilt/slide the seat forward and get it behind the seat?

Initially the just kneel on the captains chair and kind of swivel around and go up the middle. That seems to be like a sure fire way to annihilate the middle captains chairs and I see lots of feet hitting the rear screen. So now shown them the switch and asked them to do that, but after watch them do it it’s pretty awkward as the “slide” across the plastic door jamb cover.

Just curious what you guys do and what the negative consequences of that method have been.

i have (3) kids. ages: 15, 13, 11. we have an 2018 X with the 6 seat configuration and the center console (rare).

one kid always needs to get to the back 3rd row. he/she presses the button on one of the 2nd row captain chairs, and let's that seat move forward up/angle up before they get into the back. having the center console in not conducive to climbing over it.

We never use the the slide and tilt on the second row. We don’t have a console. Rear facing base and front facing car seat are always in the second row. It’s tight. I’m further forward than I like. And the front passenger better be under 5’5”.

If we didn’t have car seats we use the tilt and slide. But it takes longer and I’m already the slowest car in the drop off lane unloading 3 then waiting for the the FWD to close completely so I don’t take out a gawking kid. Dads yes always dads mostly in tucks pullout of mine to drive around me rather than wait. If I had to wait for the seats to slide too the moms might get impatient.

I always have at least one kid in the third row. Just let them climb around but have trained them not to kick the screen. I think the seats are very durable, so I'm not worried. I also deep clean my seats 2-3x/year which will extend their life and durability.

I always have at least one kid in the third row. Just let them climb around but have trained them not to kick the screen. I think the seats are very durable, so I'm not worried. I also deep clean my seats 2-3x/year which will extend their life and durability.
Tell me more about your deep cleaning process. I have the white interior so it doesn't get too hot (and it looks awesome) but I'm a little afraid of what they might do to it over time with their general carelessness and lake or cleanliness/awareness that all kids seem to have.

Tell me more about your deep cleaning process. I have the white interior so it doesn't get too hot (and it looks awesome) but I'm a little afraid of what they might do to it over time with their general carelessness and lake or cleanliness/awareness that all kids seem to have.
I use the leather cleaner from Ammo: INTERIOR, brush it in, then wipe it off with microfiber. It's amazing. Makes seats and contact points matte - basically, if your contact points (bolsters, armrests, wheel) get shiny then you have body oils and dirt in there breaking down the material. These products pull that crap out.

I use the leather cleaner from Ammo: INTERIOR, brush it in, then wipe it off with microfiber. It's amazing. Makes seats and contact points matte - basically, if your contact points (bolsters, armrests, wheel) get shiny then you have body oils and dirt in there breaking down the material. These products pull that crap out.
Good call, and thanks for the reco. Is this the specifc product you're using? AMMO Lather Interior Cleanser

Anyone who has ever gone in to my 3rd row always goes through the middle. I don't think I've ever slid the captains chairs forward... Only when I was testing the buttons at the beginning. My kids are smaller than yours, but they always go through the middle... So do any adults that have ever sat back there though.

Reactions: EbS-P