TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Calling All Lead Foots, Racers and Other "Abusers"

Discussion in 'Model S' started by SDRick, Dec 1, 2016.

1. SDRick

SDRick Member

For those of you who always drive with a heavy foot, drag your car, or always charge to 100%, what kind of battery degradation or other issues are you having (besides a constant grin)?

2. rory breaker

rory breaker Member

Only 5 months but I just find the range to be way less than advertised, obviously ;) If you are a spirited driver (IE not flooring everywhere but you like to dig in and be the fastest car on the road) prob expect 170-200 max out of the 90kw battery. I have ludicrous though so dont know if that changes anything.

Nothing in terms of degradation (how would you measure that?) Others who have dragraced the car can speak better than me, but from what Ive gathered you can do about 10 passes or so before you get a slightly noticeable impact to times. Not sure if thats on a 100% charge or 85%/daily charge. Also not sure how much juice you lose per pass on average, IE what #/range amt left means "my times will start to suffer" - would love to know too.

3. NSX1992

NSX1992 Member

At a 1/8 mile dragstrip I lose about 2% battery after each run, on a 1/4 mile strip about 3%. Also after each run you go slightly slower. After 6 runs my time was 0.1 seconds slower. I only charge 100% when I am going racing and I have not noticed any degradation due to that.

• Helpful x 1
  4. tstafford

tstafford Supporting Member

I drive aggressively. I've seen little degradation - maybe the difference is just refinements in the algorithms that calculate remaining range.

On the list of things to worry about with a Tesla, battery degradation seems very low.

5. VegasBlue

VegasBlue Member

There are several cars available that have buttons on the steering wheel for extra zoom.
    While I'm not advocating adding more buttons to the steering wheel, I think it would be nice to add a Sport/Ludicrous switching option to the menu button on the bottom right of the steering wheel, so that I could quickly switch between the two modes with the right rolling switch in the event that the 911 next to me needs a quick lesson in electrons.

• Like x 1
  6. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

None, Normal battery degradation, no other issues.

7. SDRick

SDRick Member

I agree that selecting these performance modes is cumbersome. (I just leave mine in ludicrous, why wouldn't you)? What is particularly frustrating is selecting Max Battery. It is a five-step process to turn on max battery and return to the main screen. On top of that, there is no indication whether Max battery mode is on or off without again going back to the main screen with a few screen taps.

8. rory breaker

rory breaker Member

Has anyone done any back to back runs to test the difference w max battery power?

9. Dithermaster

Dithermaster Member

I'm a spirited driver but I don't charge to 100%, just 90%. I don't like the reduced regen, and I know it's better for the battery.

10. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

I'm also an aggressive driver. My old P85D was always charged to 90% and the range went from a best of 409km on full charge to a low of about 398km on a full charge after 43,000km of driving (nearly 2 years). I think that was minimal and very acceptable. Also I am aware that these numbers don't actually reflect "degradation" as the range calculations would fluctuate with each charge by a few km. Bottom line, I think there is very little risk in using the car/battery heavily.