TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Calling all military/ veteran owners

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Keith909man, Aug 21, 2018.

1. nwdiver

nwdiver Well-Known Member

#21 nwdiver, Aug 22, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    Count me in the super-bitter veteran category. I did >2 years at sea. Not 2 years of sea duty... actually 2 years floating in the ocean. ~8 hours a day every day 7/7 days a week in a 110F engine room; Most of the time I was deployable I was deployed. As a veteran most veterans just piss me off. IMO a veteran or active duty that drives a jeep is like a doctor that smokes.

If they don't understand the consequences of our addiction to petroleum then they're fools. I have zero respect for fools. If they understand and don't care then they're not patriots. If you serve under the banner of a county you really don't care about you're a mercenary. From my perspective >90% of 'veterans' are fools or mercenaries and get zero respect from me.....

I went to the commissary on Bangor a few days ago. It's 2018 and still no charging stations? WTF! Far from pride I feel like I wasted 8 years of my life.......

• Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  2. Lasttoy

Lasttoy Active Member

AF 1962 - 1982
    Army GS 13, 1983 - 2004
    DoS 2011 - 2016

Going in gate at FE Warren i got selected for car check. They got finished. I said you guys forgot somthing. I showed them the FRUNK.
    That took another 30 minutes of show and tell. It was fun.

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 2
  3. cadurney

cadurney Member

U.S. Navy 1976-1981; National Guard from 2003-2018, including 14-month deployment to Iraq -- Combat Action Badge, Bronze Star.

• Like x 1
  4. drklain

drklain Member

Aluminum Falcon is the name of our Tesla. My now 15 year old had wanted to name it Edison. I said that Edison is what you call a stolen Tesla. After much negotiation, we settled on Aluminum Falcon as a play on words as we love the Millennium Falcon and the Tesla is made of Aluminum...highlighted by the midnight silver paint job.

I served for 25 1/2 years ('85 - '10), all active duty Navy with first deployment to the gulf during the Iran-Iraq war in '89...

• Like x 3
  5. MichaelS

MichaelS Supporting Member

Thanks to everyone for your service. I was a Navy ETR from 1968 to 1974. Thought about becoming a Warrant Officer but the ex-wife was extremely unhappy about it. I loved the Navy. I matured very quickly.

• Like x 2
  6. Gt1948

Gt1948 Member

US Navy/USMC 1966-1989 retired.

7. Idaho_Steve

Idaho_Steve Member

Nuc Navy 1974-1980, Navy SelRes 1986-2004, recalled to AD from 2005-2012. Besides buying a Tesla (of course) the Navy was one of my best decisions.

• Like x 2
  8. drift

drift Member

USN Aviator 1969-1993. 2016 MS 75+ and 2017 MS 100D. Isn't life great?

• Like x 1
  9. Keith909man

Keith909man Member

Speaking of which... that’s whole another conversation, but, when are they going to start adding charging stations on base?? I mean, we now have alternative fuel on base but nothing to support the growing EV market?? The hell

10. Graffi

Graffi Member

Almost my story. I was Navy ETN from 1971 to 1977. I had a draft number in the mid 300's so would never have been drafted, but growing up as a child of WWII my greatest fear was being a Grandpa with my grandchild sitting on my knee asking what I did during the war and telling him I had a high draft number so stayed home. Volunteered for Vietnam but was sent to the Philippines instead. Spent 4 years there, but did get to Vietnam twice before the war ended on Temp duty. The Navy did not trust me with a gun so I carried a tool box around when I was in Da Nang and Saigon. My plan was to sign up for OCS after discharge and finish Navy career as a Zero. Figured to at least make O4 in the next 14 years or so. Anyway, got talked into grad school and became a MBA/CPA instead. I did get to Iraq in 2006/2007 (as a contract employee). Again they did not trust me with a gun but I did carry around a backpack full of cash. It is good no one new what I carried as I had little to protect myself with. Under the radar, as they say. The most I ever carried was just under $2 million. Amazing how many $100 bills will fit into a backpack....

My wife is retired Navy Corpsman, now a Nurse at the Naval Hospital San Diego.

• Like x 1
  11. drklain

drklain Member

They are starting to appear on some bases (most typically at NEXs). The NEX at Bethesda Naval Hospital has two in the parking garage (lower level, under the roof)....

• Like x 1
  12. Duffer

Duffer TSLA Long

Active Army 1980-1990, USAR 1990-2010 (retired)
    "Little Miss Attitude" 2017 MS 75D

Oh, and just for fun :D
    Go Army, Beat Navy!

13. Keith909man

Keith909man Member

I forgot to list my whereabouts due to reading all you fine gentlemens stories.

Active Marine Corps 2007-2011 3rd Marine division. 3 tours.

Switched to active Army and currently serving and making the switch to Warrent

-2017 Model S 90D and proud of it! ;)

14. Keith909man

Keith909man Member

Oh, cool little story to add. Had a Tesla service van come out to my house for minor work. Got to talking to the technician and turns out he was in the Marine Corps the same time I was in my neighboring unit!
    Let’s just say I made a new brother that day

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  15. Ciaopec

Ciaopec Reservations at Restaurant at Universe end

Close to where SpaceXploration begins: 32952
    Air Force 1970-1979 SEA OV-10 Nahkon Phenom RTAFB; Stateside training command at Sheppard AFB, TX. Toledo OHANG 1980-1983 A-7. Now live across the river from Patrick AFB, FL

Thanks to all of you for serving. More people should serve the country somehow.

Folks at Lowe's always thank me for my service; It may not have always been a pleasure but I figure it was my duty.

2016 Black 90D. New in Jun 2016: 90000 miles today; think I like the car? NO MO ICE!

• Like x 1
  16. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

Canadian Light Infantry,1987-1990

Mcpl with the “Hasty P’s”.

• Like x 1
  17. rooter

rooter Member

It's a shame that your experience (and that of others) was not good. But you should understand that resenting the smart ones is as useless as hating the rich. You simply failed to look after your best interests, and still don't recognize that.

I prepared for my service with intensive study. Then I required that my recruiter sign me up for a guaranteed job. I worked hard on the exams and made top grades in the six month tech school. And I was rewarded with a great tour of duty in Europe working for SHAPE and a great boss.

Others had jobs like yours but benefited in other ways. You reap what you sow.

• Disagree x 1
  18. nwdiver

nwdiver Well-Known Member

#38 nwdiver, Aug 22, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    I think you misunderstand my post. I'm resentful that people who purport to serve their country as patriots continue to destroy it with an addiction to fools fuel..... Service Members should be LEADING the transition away from fools fuel... instead they mostly scorn it.

The financial sacrifice of buying a slightly more expensive EV is a rounding error compared to the sacrifices myself and others have made from military service. The fact so many fail to take such simple steps is to me unforgivable. To say I'm furious that in 2018... ~99% of NEW cars sold in this country cannot move without burning petroleum is an understatement. It's absolutely pathetic.

I'm not bitter because of my experience. I'm bitter because my sacrifices are wasted on an ungrateful nation too self-absorbed with fancy cars and dirty energy to do the right thing.... Sure... they say they 'honor' veterans. If they want to truly honor our service they need to take the small steps required to ensure it wasn't for nothing and break our pathetic addiction to fools fuel.... Talk is cheap. It's long past time for decisive action.

• Love x 3
    • Informative x 2
  19. Dameon

Dameon Titanium P90DL

Air Force. Desert Storm. PDS at Offutt AFB - SAC HQ. I was a Communications Cryptologist. I didn't deploy, but my career field typically doesn't. Our duty was to support the troops in the field. Feel what you may of that.

• Like x 3
  20. bedoig

bedoig Member

Thank you (and all the others) for your service. Out of curiousity, is your objection to fossil fuels the result of conflict over them, environmental, other? Does domestic production of fossil fuels change your opinion at all?

• Like x 1