Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Calling all previous Audi owners.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As the title suggests.
How many model x owners came from an Audi?
I’ve been with them for 10 years at least.
Had a few.
Q7
Q5. 2.0
Q5 3.0
SQ5
Etron

How are you getting in with a Tesla model X
Interested to know. First impressions and now after having it a bit. Thanks.

Had 2015 Audi Q5 diesel, wive’s car. That was sold, she upgraded to G wagon. I drive 2018 P100D MX. I drove that Audi quite a bit. What specifically do you want to know?

Very different cars. No one makes interior better than Audi, MX is not even close. Service with Audi is miles above CURRENT Tesla service (used to be ver good). Obv electric vs ICE. More room in MX, trunk and a frunk. Three row seats. Car pool sticker in CA.

Very different cars. No one makes interior better than Audi, MX is not even close. Service with Audi is miles above CURRENT Tesla service (used to be ver good). Obv electric vs ICE. More room in MX, trunk and a frunk. Three row seats. Car pool sticker in CA.

I'm surprised to hear that. Also a former Q5 owner (A4 as well) and I highly disliked my interiors, especially when compared to MB (non-mb tech)

As the title suggests.
How many model x owners came from an Audi?
I’ve been with them for 10 years at least.
Had a few.
Q7
Q5. 2.0
Q5 3.0
SQ5
Etron

How are you getting in with a Tesla model X
Interested to know. First impressions and now after having it a bit. Thanks.

I would think the Etron is going to be the closest being an EV as well. So I'll skip over the EV vs ICE bits and jump into the Audi vs Tesla bits.

- The interior..depends. In general, I would compare a Tesla Model X interior favorably to the last generation Audis but not the current ones. IMO. The Etron interior feels leaps and bounds better than the Tesla interior. The Q5 interior is inferior to the Tesla interior (based on a 2016 model) based on feel and ergonomics

- The exterior..I prefer the Audi's generally speaking when speaking about the SUVs. Sedans, I think it's a wash between my MS and A7, but the MS is better looking than the A6

- Repairs are about the same. Both use premium parts and charge premium labor rates.

- The software. Audi has their "autopilot" equivalent, I can't speak to that as I haven't used it personally. But none of my Audis had the ability to update. After 2-3 years the newness faded and by quite a bit. The Tesla car itself has faded for me. I'm not as enthusiastic about it as I once was about the hardware and acceleration. But, the software does. After just about 4 years of the same car I geeked out about side view video. Why? No idea, but I did. You won't get that with Audi.

- The biggest difference is charging. You don't realize just how big of a moat the supercharger network is until you try to go backwards. I tried to buy an etron. It would have been fine for daily use, but impossible for anything more than my commute due to the lack of infrastructure. In this regard, Audi is equal to 2012 Tesla.

Reactions: andrewdtran
I am from 2017 Audi Q7 premium plus.

It is classic at first time, driving experience, powerful engine, detail quality of interiors and exteriors plus the digital dash screen and 360 camera. But without autopilot, over the air software update etc.., i started to feel boring after couple of months. I had it for 3 years, break change cost me $2K just for front pair. tire change about $450 each, glad I got the tire hazard insurance which covers replacement as it's run flat tire, I got nailed for couple of times, totally worth it.

i always wanted MX, by that time I got Q7 was because I can't manage to afford a MX. Q7 was my alternative for a SUV with third row. Now i feel 6 seater is unbeatable on my MX.

BTW, you can't compare MX detail to a high-end German car, the craftsmanship is nowhere near any German lux car, to be honest... but I am all about the driving computer...

Came to a 2020 MX LR+ in June from a 2014 SQ5. The ‘tine has put a limit on the driving so with only 600 miles or so on the MX, these are only first impressions, but:
  • Speed/acceleration- off the line, seems fairly comparable, I always loved the unnecessary power of that SUV. The MX seems a bit “smoother” but that’s likely due to no transmission, which, while I know that ZF transmission is a workhorse and implementations are in BMWs and others, the Audi software controlling it is horrible in terms of gear selection at lower speeds when decelerating and then accelerating. That’s obviously a non-issue in an EV. Acceleration in the MX at speed however, blows the SQ5 away.
  • Ride quality- I elected the 22” wheels on the MX, couldn’t give up those looks even though I read about degraded range and ride quality, and of course pricier (and probably more frequent) tire replacement. Honestly, the ride of the MX is on par or better than the SQ5 which was riding on 21” wheels and no special suspension. After reading a bit about it, I think recent adaptive suspension updates on the MX may make a big difference in this area as well. Also, cabin noise is on par with the SQ5.
  • Fit/finish/quality- as anyone who is tuned in to the Tesla’s for any amount of time knows, they are not winning any awards in this category and it seems they are pretty inconsistent in this area as well. I think I lucked out in general with my MX in terms of panel gaps and alignment, but the trim is all over the place. I still need to make an appointment, but I’m optimistic much if not all can be remedied by removing/replacing the affected pieces by a skilled tech. The paint finish is also sub-par in my opinion for a car of this price - I have several locations where it looked like tiny air bubbles in the base coat popped and the primer can be seen through in the size of a pinhole and then clear coated over. Also a couple areas where it looked like contaminants between the primer and base coat then cleared over as well as some runs/sags. This is all very minimal overall though and things I didn’t catch till washing and detailing it at home after taking delivery, but still nothing you’d see on an Audi half it’s price.
  • Interior is fine- again, not German luxury or quality, especially at the $100k price point, but the bulk is on par with the SQ5 I’d say and quite good.
  • Tech- here’s where the largest differences lie and my biggest attraction to the MX, or even Tesla’s in general. My 2014 SQ5 had infotainment that was probably already at least 5 years old when I bought it in 2013 and remains that way today. The Tesla has already gotten 4 software updates in less than 2 months and will continue to do so to keep it relevant and current- I like that.
Time will tell how the Tesla wears and tears, but so far so good, but from a quality standpoint, the SQ5 was honestly top notch and can’t complain.

Came to a 2020 MX LR+ in June from a 2014 SQ5. The ‘tine has put a limit on the driving so with only 600 miles or so on the MX, these are only first impressions, but:
  • Speed/acceleration- off the line, seems fairly comparable, I always loved the unnecessary power of that SUV. The MX seems a bit “smoother” but that’s likely due to no transmission, which, while I know that ZF transmission is a workhorse and implementations are in BMWs and others, the Audi software controlling it is horrible in terms of gear selection at lower speeds when decelerating and then accelerating. That’s obviously a non-issue in an EV. Acceleration in the MX at speed however, blows the SQ5 away.
  • Ride quality- I elected the 22” wheels on the MX, couldn’t give up those looks even though I read about degraded range and ride quality, and of course pricier (and probably more frequent) tire replacement. Honestly, the ride of the MX is on par or better than the SQ5 which was riding on 21” wheels and no special suspension. After reading a bit about it, I think recent adaptive suspension updates on the MX may make a big difference in this area as well. Also, cabin noise is on par with the SQ5.
  • Fit/finish/quality- as anyone who is tuned in to the Tesla’s for any amount of time knows, they are not winning any awards in this category and it seems they are pretty inconsistent in this area as well. I think I lucked out in general with my MX in terms of panel gaps and alignment, but the trim is all over the place. I still need to make an appointment, but I’m optimistic much if not all can be remedied by removing/replacing the affected pieces by a skilled tech. The paint finish is also sub-par in my opinion for a car of this price - I have several locations where it looked like tiny air bubbles in the base coat popped and the primer can be seen through in the size of a pinhole and then clear coated over. Also a couple areas where it looked like contaminants between the primer and base coat then cleared over as well as some runs/sags. This is all very minimal overall though and things I didn’t catch till washing and detailing it at home after taking delivery, but still nothing you’d see on an Audi half it’s price.
  • Interior is fine- again, not German luxury or quality, especially at the $100k price point, but the bulk is on par with the SQ5 I’d say and quite good.
  • Tech- here’s where the largest differences lie and my biggest attraction to the MX, or even Tesla’s in general. My 2014 SQ5 had infotainment that was probably already at least 5 years old when I bought it in 2013 and remains that way today. The Tesla has already gotten 4 software updates in less than 2 months and will continue to do so to keep it relevant and current- I like that.
Time will tell how the Tesla wears and tears, but so far so good, but from a quality standpoint, the SQ5 was honestly top notch and can’t complain.

This is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks so much for taking the time to write this up. This is what I already love about this forum!

An excellent summary of the transition from Audi - Tesla.
Although you came from a slightly older version than I am coming from, their latest and greatest Etron.

I guess I just need to decide how much I love the Tesla tech side of things, as overall your post praises that.

Ill be honest I have a Tesla X LR on order and September delivery so I have a bit of time to come to a decision.

Tesla Model X LR v Audio Etron Vorsprung

I have one year left in my 2018 SQ5 lease — agree that at first the car was amazing but the software/technology is flat even fully loaded. Lane centring is awful. On one spot on the highway home it will read some random sign and automatically drop my speed down to 60km/h in a 100 zone (where I’d be going 120km/h) and no updates to help with that. Have to leave most drivers assistance off.

At least with Tesla there is gradual improvement/hope that a bug could be fixed during ownership of a vehicle.

Hoping the X is my next car, wife already agrees just that both of us are not driving for work these days.

Last edited:
2013 Q7 Premium Plus, needed intermittent oil top offs which by 60K miles became annoyingly regular. Who carries oil in their car nowadays. Audi wouldn’t take any responsibility of fixing it saying all high performance cars do. I advised Audi that my Maserati Gran Turismo with a Ferrari engine does not even burn a drop nor does my Twin Turbo Ghibli. So cut the BS and ask Audi to own up. Dumped Q7 at Tesla and walked out with a X. I am done with Audi for good.

• Funny
Reactions: tierneyalvin