Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Calling all Residence Bel-Air owners who want a charger installed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there,

I am also looking at getting a charger installed in bel-air. Situated in Phase 1, near the entrance to tower 6. I would be looking to install my second, high power charger which Tesla Are providing me with at the end of this year. However I do want to take advantage of a group buy to save any installation costs. If this does go ahead and you require more people I would be happy to join in and have them run the cable/isolation box to my spot, and I will have the charger itself installed later when it arrives! (This is the easy part anyway)

Hi hezzahez, nice to hear from you! The management office (MO) told me that in order to share infrastructure costs, the people sharing must be using the same power source. I learned that there is 1 power source in the Phase I parking lot and 1 power source in the Phase II parking lot. Both power sources are on level CP2. Unfortunately, I'm in Phase II so I wouldn't be able to share costs with you.:-( But let's hope another owner with a parking stall in Phase I comes across this thread and you can make contact to coordinate sharing the costs.

Is your first Tesla charger installed in Phase I and which contractor did you use? When you say "high power charger" from Tesla, is that different from the charger that (I think/hope) comes with the Model S? Is it free or did you have to pay extra for that?

Thanks for any feedback and good luck!

We bought the P85D with dual chargers, so they have provided me with a charger that only supports 50A charging for now, which I have installed at my current residence. (not bel-air). However my parents live there and have a car spot so I was hoping to install the second charger which they are providing free of charge closer to the end of this year. I think it was something like 80A or 3 phase 32A.

That's a shame about the different power sources. I think our spot was on CP3 however. Does this mean that they would drill a hole to run the cable upstairs?

Hope to hear more about how your installation goes.

Sorry for the long delay. Went through a lot the past 2 months but today the charger installation was finally completed. Through this post I was able to connect with another Bel-Air owner and we partnered to get quotes, share costs and deal with the management office (MO). I think we ended up getting quotes from 4-5 different contractors and chose Chong Chi Engineering. I'm quite sure we made the right choice. Alex from Chong Chi ([email protected]) has been great. Mandatory HK$10M public liability insurance we got from Cindy of Prudential ([email protected]) for under HK$1K/year. My charger is a single phase 32A so charging time for 0-100% is around 13 hours according to Chong Chi. My cable run was about 110m and cost was under HK$53K including a lockable stainless steel cabinet which the MO required (cost was reduced because I was able to share some of the work and infrastructure cost in the main switch room with the other owner, e.g. Busbar).

@hezzahez: Yes, they will need to drill a hole to run the cable from CP2 to CP3 and may need to go through walls, etc.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck!

Here are some photos:

Tesla charger1.jpg

Tesla charger2.jpg

Tesla charger3.jpg

Last edited:
very good deal you have, "110m and cost was under HK$53K" + SS box enclosing the wall connector, congratulation.

BTW I'm still struggling with my estate management my 2nd bet is to settle with a humble 13A outlet instead of 32A supply to the wall connector, very frustrated. In fact charging at 10A I'll get 100km while I sleep it'll be good enough for my daily consumption of about 80km.

very good deal you have, "110m and cost was under HK$53K" + SS box enclosing the wall connector, congratulation.

Thanks, 3fiftynine. That's comforting to hear.

BTW I'm still struggling with my estate management my 2nd bet is to settle with a humble 13A outlet instead of 32A supply to the wall connector, very frustrated. In fact charging at 10A I'll get 100km while I sleep it'll be good enough for my daily consumption of about 80km.

I reckon getting that 13A outlet is better than nothing and as you say you just need to plug and unplug each night/day. Otherwise you'll be dependent on availability of the Super Chargers and other public charging facilities which are very slow to charge up. Good luck and don't give up!

- - - Updated - - -

Does Tesla not have a team here engaged in negotiating with Owners' Carpark Managers (home & office) to help facilitate this stuff? If not that surprised me...

The electric companies and government need to do more too - I think especially the electric companies should engage and work with MOs to bring necessary power capacity, planning and expertise in at a reasonable cost (free?). Electric companies have clout and stand to benefit hugely in the long run.

Charged.hk efforts help greatly too.

Last edited:
Sorry for the long delay. Went through a lot the past 2 months but today the charger installation was finally completed. Through this post I was able to connect with another Bel-Air owner and we partnered to get quotes, share costs and deal with the management office (MO). I think we ended up getting quotes from 4-5 different contractors and chose Chong Chi Engineering. I'm quite sure we made the right choice. Alex from Chong Chi ([email protected]) has been great. Mandatory HK$10M public liability insurance we got from Cindy of Prudential ([email protected]) for under HK$1K/year. My charger is a single phase 32A so charging time for 0-100% is around 13 hours according to Chong Chi. My cable run was about 110m and cost was under HK$53K including a lockable stainless steel cabinet which the MO required (cost was reduced because I was able to share some of the work and infrastructure cost in the main switch room with the other owner, e.g. Busbar).

@hezzahez: Yes, they will need to drill a hole to run the cable from CP2 to CP3 and may need to go through walls, etc.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck!

Here are some photos:

View attachment 91328

View attachment 91329

View attachment 91330

Would you mind let me know roughly the dimension of the metal box? Length, width and depth. Thanks.

[QUOTE BTW I'm still struggling with my estate management my 2nd bet is to settle with a humble 13A outlet instead of 32A supply to the wall connector, very frustrated. In fact charging at 10A I'll get 100km while I sleep it'll be good enough for my daily consumption of about 80km.[/QUOTE]

As long as you can get a full 13A, you can get some 220 x 13 x 95% say 2.6KWhr, not too bad.

The wall connector power is selectable. If you can't get 32A, perhaps lower, but still better than 10A?

We need to have the law changed.

1) Allow metering units connected to other places on the grid, not just at the owners meter

2) Enforcing private estates to allow for installation of chargers, or even MAKE them install chargers

Ridiculous that so much cabling and work must be done, just for one single charging spot! Although this would add to the market value of the parking, as the amount of EVs increase.

We need to have the law changed.

1) Allow metering units connected to other places on the grid, not just at the owners meter

2) Enforcing private estates to allow for installation of chargers, or even MAKE them install chargers

Ridiculous that so much cabling and work must be done, just for one single charging spot! Although this would add to the market value of the parking, as the amount of EVs increase.

100% with you on that. I have a plan.

The government should set up a fund, say $1billion dollar, for private property owners (Inc owners, building manager ...etc) to apply and use the money to upgrade the incoming switchboard to enable EV charging facilities. The payback should be long say 10 years and interest free. To avoid abuse only power companies can evaluate, apply on behalf of, and use the fund solely for upgrading of incoming supply. Inspection/assessment/paperwork procedures should be provided free to property owners.

Wiring from switchboard to individual parking space will be paid for by EV owners at the property.

Without infrastructure EV community won't grow, it's a win-win for power companies as well, there'll be no more excuses!

100% with you on that. I have a plan.

The government should set up a fund, say $1billion dollar, for private property owners (Inc owners, building manager ...etc) to apply and use the money to upgrade the incoming switchboard to enable EV charging facilities. The payback should be long say 10 years and interest free. To avoid abuse only power companies can evaluate, apply on behalf of, and use the fund solely for upgrading of incoming supply. Inspection/assessment/paperwork procedures should be provided free to property owners.

Wiring from switchboard to individual parking space will be paid for by EV owners at the property.

Without infrastructure EV community won't grow, it's a win-win for power companies as well, there'll be no more excuses!

Nice idea. When we get to the stage of putting our views to government regarding this, we'll definitely bring that up. There is ample precedent, as they setup such funds for bus companies, taxis, etc.

Good to hear that you got your own installed. I had mine few months ago at on CP3 between Phase 1 and 2. It got me almost 6 months to deal with the management. Cost wasn't cheap but at least i got it. I don't have Tesla yet but reserved a model X last year.

Good to hear that you got your own installed. I had mine few months ago at on CP3 between Phase 1 and 2. It got me almost 6 months to deal with the management. Cost wasn't cheap but at least i got it. I don't have Tesla yet but reserved a model X last year.

Could you elaborate how you got it approved? We're moving to bel air phase 4 in 2 weeks and have a spot on CP1.
The Car arrives end of Jan, and we haven't been able to figure out how to get a charger installed. The management office seems to say NO when we ask about ANY car space that is charger approved.

Hi Bel-Air Tesla Owners,
Wondering what is the current situation at Bel-Air Phase 1/2? I am seeing more and more Teslas in the carpark. Will be getting my model S in November. Have tried asking management about the charging situation but it seems no change. Asked Chong Chi and they said management said no more new chargers until electricity supply upgraded. Wonder how long management will hold out. My feeling is that there will be more EV's in the coming few years, and home charging is the only viable long-term solution.

Thanks, Mark. Already did. They made some headway with my carpark space in Baguio Villa, but no joy so far with Bel-Air. Will persist though.
Hi FishHead,

you mentioned having some luck with Baguio? Which block was that? I've been trying to get something going but keep getting push back (wiring is too old to support charging, will be discussed at next MO meeting, etc). I know blocks 45-48 have chargers through hkevpower but since each block seems to have a different MO it's a bit of a pain..

Thanks

Hi Trainor, Block 35. Nothing concrete yet but Smartcharge called to ask me the exact carpark location. Have yet to get a call back from them but will update if I have any news. They are about to start a general renovation of the blocks above Park and Shop so may be a good time to get the infrastructure in. I don't live there now but still good to know if I can install a charger for the future.