Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Calling all Torklift EcoHitch Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Punchline: How difficult is it to remove the cover and install the receiver on the car? I’m guessing you pretty much need to lay on the ground to accomplish this?

I’m debating between a Torklift EcoHitch (which I’d use with my 1UP bike rack) and a SeaSucker roof rack. I really like the idea of the hitch as I generally hate roof racks, but I don’t want to drive around with the receiver on all the time. I’m just a little worried that it’s going to be a gigantic PITA to remove/reinstall that receiver.

Punchline: How difficult is it to remove the cover and install the receiver on the car? I’m guessing you pretty much need to lay on the ground to accomplish this?

I’m debating between a Torklift EcoHitch (which I’d use with my 1UP bike rack) and a SeaSucker roof rack. I really like the idea of the hitch as I generally hate roof racks, but I don’t want to drive around with the receiver on all the time. I’m just a little worried that it’s going to be a gigantic PITA to remove/reinstall that receiver.
Stealth Hitches are a lot easier to remove - no bolts. Details here for the M3: Tesla Model 3 (2017 - 2020)

They also produce a hitch to order for the Model S but it has to be custom made for the individual car as they’ve found variances in the fittings on the rear of the car. I have a Seasucker rack but am planning to get a Stealth Hitch fitted next year as well to my MS. It’s off-menu but if you call them they’ll make one to order and fit at their premises. Price similar to the M3 hitch.

• Love
Reactions: DavidB and Watts_Up
Model S is custom fitted? I ordered a standard Stealth one from torkliftcentral.com a week ago and it’s on its way - no custom fitting needed. It does require a bolt to attach the stealth receiver to it - but it doesn’t look hard.

I had a roof rack for a while but got sick of risking my glass roof to a bike fork.

I’ll also install the EcoHitch myself - I imagine it’ll take 1-2 hours - not hard.

Reactions: gbailey
Stealth Hitches are a lot easier to remove - no bolts. Details here for the M3: Tesla Model 3 (2017 - 2020)

They also produce a hitch to order for the Model S but it has to be custom made for the individual car as they’ve found variances in the fittings on the rear of the car. I have a Seasucker rack but am planning to get a Stealth Hitch fitted next year as well to my MS. It’s off-menu but if you call them they’ll make one to order and fit at their premises. Price similar to the M3 hitch.
Yeah, I have a 2016 Model S P90D. I like the click in/click out of the Stealth Hitch but didn’t see one for the Model S. I’ll look in to that, thank you.

Im also torn between stealth hitch vs seasucker for three bikes -- two of which are basic bikes (meaning not fancy lightweight road bikes). I am worried about placing 100 lbs of bikes on the glass roof. With the hitch I'm worried about the ground clearance of the hitch with 100 lbs of gear. Do you use a riser with your stealth hitch? I know we can raise the suspension height on the S but that's only up to certain speeds. Is drag equivalent whether you carry three bikes hanging off the back or on the roof?

Model S is custom fitted? I ordered a standard Stealth one from torkliftcentral.com a week ago and it’s on its way - no custom fitting needed. It does require a bolt to attach the stealth receiver to it - but it doesn’t look hard.

I had a roof rack for a while but got sick of risking my glass roof to a bike fork.

I’ll also install the EcoHitch myself - I imagine it’ll take 1-2 hours - not hard.
There are two different hitches with very similar names from two different companies. The Torklift Stealth/ Ecohitch is one and a hitch made by Stealth Hitches is the other.

The latter is the one that is custom made/fitted and rather than the receiver bolting on like the Ecohitch the receiver clicks and locks into place and is more easily fitted and removed. It’s not listed on their website but is available. I know as I spoke to them last week.

Im also torn between stealth hitch vs seasucker for three bikes -- two of which are basic bikes (meaning not fancy lightweight road bikes). I am worried about placing 100 lbs of bikes on the glass roof. With the hitch I'm worried about the ground clearance of the hitch with 100 lbs of gear. Do you use a riser with your stealth hitch? I know we can raise the suspension height on the S but that's only up to certain speeds. Is drag equivalent whether you carry three bikes hanging off the back or on the roof?
On the roof rack the standard rack from Tesla is rated for 150lbs so carrying 100lbs of bikes shouldn’t be a problem if that’s the way you decide to go. Model S Roof Rack - Glass Roof The Seasucker spreads the load on the glass roof even more than the Tesla rack and I’ve had no issues at all.

Reactions: FatherTo1
From what I’ve read the drag isn’t much different. I think I’ll likely go the hitch route. The only holdup is having to take apart the car and cut a hole in the bottom...then the paying on the ground to add/remove the receiver (as I don’t want it there when not in use).

Not too hard on a Model 3 as I installed one in an afternoon.

Just a heads up - they will ONLY do this if you are willing to make the trip to Georgia. You hit on this in your comment, but I just spoke with them and they said unless I can leave the can with them there's no path forward. It's a bummer, because it's such a better solution than the Ecohitch for installation/removal of the receiver.

Are you unhappy with your Seasucker? Curious why you're having a hitch put on if you already have the Seasucker.

• Informative
Reactions: gbailey and DavidB
I purchased a sea sucker and ended up returning it I dont feel that comfortable getting the bike on /off the car repeatedly....Nothing more convenient than a hitch rack IMO. I ended up installing a 1.25 hitch and 3D printed a cover to make look more "built in" I will take some pics later and to show you.

20200720_185648.jpg

RCVR_COVER.jpg
RCVR_COVER.jpg
The Torklift is easy to remove the 2inch reveiver, you need a M24 hex socket and wrench. Most likely you'll only remove it when you don't need to use the receiver. I leave it on until winter as I need it to carry our bikes to start. Here's my hitch cover --- I used to have a white glow in dark on black, but I lost it going over some bumpy area. I think the white on black looks better. You can find the STL files on thingiverse if you want to print one --- it's for a 2inch, I guess I could add one for smaller receiver, but I can't be certain it will fit tight.

I have the Stealth EcoHitch (2" receiver) from eTrailer and the Tesla (Yakama) roof rack. I use a Thule T2 hitch rack with two bikes on the back and will only put two bikes on the roof max.

Installing the hidden hitch is a 2 minute job. One bolt and a big nut (24mm from memory).

Hitch installation took a few hours but not that hard. Hardest part is making the cut out.

I also got the magnetic cover for when the hitch isn't installed. Looks super clean.

It’s is a b
Just a heads up - they will ONLY do this if you are willing to make the trip to Georgia. You hit on this in your comment, but I just spoke with them and they said unless I can leave the can with them there's no path forward. It's a bummer, because it's such a better solution than the Ecohitch for installation/removal of the receiver.

Are you unhappy with your Seasucker? Curious why you're having a hitch put on if you already have the Seasucker.
Hi – I’m perfectly happy with the Seasucker however I want to tow a small trailer from time to time so I’m keen to have a hitch fitted. Although it’s a long trip to Georgia they’ve told me I can have the hitch fitted to the car within a day so I should be able to make the journey without too much disruption.

I purchased a sea sucker and ended up returning it I dont feel that comfortable getting the bike on /off the car repeatedly....Nothing more convenient than a hitch rack IMO. I ended up installing a 1.25 hitch and 3D printed a cover to make look more "built in" I will take some pics later and to show you.
That's exactly my idea! I'vr replaced my roof rack with a 1.25" hitch. Also giving thought to 3D print a cover. Do you have ability to print me another if I pay you?