Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Calling on the Experts: Exporting to Indonesia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,
My good friend has decided to get a new P100D MX, and he took delivery of it here in LA. He bought it with the sole intention of taking it back to indonesia.
Besides the regulatory stuff: Such as RH/LH drive, will he have trouble charging the car?

I know the onboard chargers in the past were 50/60hz, are the new 72A chargers the same?
He also bought a new HPWC and plans to connect it to a hot leg neutral and ground over there.
...so all of you electrical experts, will that work?

...will he have trouble charging the car?...I know the onboard chargers in the past were 50/60hz, are the new 72A chargers the same?....HPWC and plans to connect it to a hot leg neutral and ground over there...

I am not electrical expert but I think Indonesia uses European standard which may not work with US Tesla standard.

I think US HPWC uses 240V, 2 phases, 60 Hz.

Europe and Indonesia HPWC uses 230V, 3 phases, 50 Hz.

Your friend needs to make sure to pickup the right HPWC.

The same goes with Mobile Universal Connector that connects from a wall outlet to your car. You should not get the one that's working perfectly in the US. You need to pick one that doesn't work in the US but works in Europe and Indonesia.

Last edited:
I am not electrical expert but I think Indonesia uses European standard which may not work with US Tesla standard.

I think US HPWC uses 240V, 2 phases, 60 Hz.

Europe and Indonesia HPWC uses 240V, 3 phases, 50 Hz.

Your friend needs to make sure to pickup the right HPWC.

The same goes with Mobile Universal Connector that connects from a wall outlet to your car. You should not get the one that's working perfectly in the US. You need to pick one that works in Europe and Indonesia.

He did grab a US HPWC. I'm gonna go check the manual. It might specify 50/60.
As far as the phases are concerned I believe if they hook up one hot leg that would suffice?

Edit: Yeah it looks like it supports 50/60

Screen Shot 2017-07-20 at 7.11.21 PM.png
Here's the manual for the latest North American HPWC, so it looks like it will actually work!
Screen Shot 2017-07-20 at 7.15.09 PM.png

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Muzzman1, post: 2202538, member: 21294"...it supports 50/60...[/QUOTE]

I have no idea about it but I think "phase" is what makes whether US 2-phase equipment would work on a European 3-phase system or not.

There are already Tesla cars in Indonesia. Your friend should buy the standard that they already have now because soon, Tesla supercharger will be there and your friend want to be able to use the same kind of supercharger plug/port.