Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Calling out to all NEW UK Model X owners with Orders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Absolutely agree Tesla has truly changed the whole landscape of the car industry and who knows what else will follow??
Since Tesla came onto the radar even my wife and daughter have joined in Tesla spotting !! there aren't many up here in County Durham though , Im actually amazed how many people haven't even heard of the brand!

Aha the blue, that's also on the potential hit list , perhaps I too should involve the wife and daughter on this.........lol . I had a black Toureg and it was an absolute nightmare to keep clean,I currently have a silvery blue Merc which is a piece of cake to keep on top of which is probably why I am so undecided on colour..........

Cannot understand why no tow pack on new MS as the chassis for the X is the same. Anyways - good new is that Model X RHD production to begin Sept 1 at Fremont. Maybe a few deliveries pre Christmas ?

ps Chatter about full foldable rear seats before the end of the year keep bubbling to the surface.....

I heard from one of the forum members from Australia saying that they saw a RHD MX being built while he was at the factory tour in Fremont. If that's the case then they should be already built and hopefully shipping the first round of deliveries

I have a model 3 on order but realistically that's looking at the very least to be 2.years away so I am going to take the plunge on an X

Interesting that as a stopgap for a Model 3, you are ordering MX rather than MS - good deals on the MS 60 right now :)

more super chargers available in the UK but hopefully this will improve soon

FWIW it seems to me that the rollout, in UK, over the last 12 months has been slower than I was expected. UK Planning Permission maybe? ... or maybe not as much funding in that "pocket" as promised?

Im actually amazed how many people haven't even heard of the brand!

You'll get plenty of that ... went to tire shop recently for a nail-repair-with-plug ... guy there in a big Jag with an aftermarket supercharger (but otherwise a wolf in sheep's clothing) ... "Is that a Telsar?" "Yes - its a Tesla" ... various other questions asked, but I couldn't seem to get him to drop the "Telsar" name :) "Why don't they fit an alternator so you can charge it as you go along". Me: "Unfortunately you can only have the energy once" - I figure that a simple explanation might be my best shot, although Tire fitter thinks differently: "That would be perpetual motion" Jag driver: "I still don't get why they don't fit an alternator" (I think there may have been a question about solar panels too - the PV on my roof generates an average of 10KWh a day, I'd need a really REALLY big car for the roof space!!). He also wasn't happy about the 0-60 comparison with his souped-up Jag :p

@cheeky I ordered mine from weybridge tesla really good service. My sole consession was initial order of a MXD 60D which I will upgrade later to 75D. I would have loved to buy the 90D but I didn't want to compromise on the spec. For my day to day use back and forward from Southampton to London with 3 super chargers on route range won't be an issues for me. I still get every extra just not the range and top speed I can live with that. I chose the blue but it was a close call between that and silver. For me the interior was allways black leather, I felt white was impractical and might encourage too much unwanted attention

Great to have a UK model X group. i ordered white 90D black wheels. I can't decide colour either black, white or midnight silver. I like midnight silver but white will be more eyes catching. May be i will change the colour later before the cooling off period. The white colour MX in weybridge showroom is so cool. Initially i can't decide between a range rover or Model X.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting that as a stopgap for a Model 3, you are ordering MX rather than MS - good deals on the MS 60 right now :)

FWIW it seems to me that the rollout, in UK, over the last 12 months has been slower than I was expected. UK Planning Permission maybe? ... or maybe not as much funding in that "pocket" as promised?

You'll get plenty of that ... went to tire shop recently for a nail-repair-with-plug ... guy there in a big Jag with an aftermarket supercharger (but otherwise a wolf in sheep's clothing) ... "Is that a Telsar?" "Yes - its a Tesla" ... various other questions asked, but I couldn't seem to get him to drop the "Telsar" name :) "Why don't they fit an alternator so you can charge it as you go along". Me: "Unfortunately you can only have the energy once" - I figure that a simple explanation might be my best shot, although Tire fitter thinks differently: "That would be perpetual motion" Jag driver: "I still don't get why they don't fit an alternator" (I think there may have been a question about solar panels too - the PV on my roof generates an average of 10KWh a day, I'd need a really REALLY big car for the roof space!!). He also wasn't happy about the 0-60 comparison with his souped-up Jag :p

I have to say I originally ordered the Model 3 as a backup in case my model X dream wasn't approved by the Mrs. I just didn't want to order such a high value item unless the whole family was on board. I want us to enjoy the Tesla journey together. My real concern with the Model 3 is that like the Model S it meant a compromise as it doesn't do everything I wanted for work and pleasure. The tax changes in April 17 made it clear to me and the wife that if I was to push the boat out for the ideal car the model X then it was now or wait for the model 3 with no guarantees it will tick all boxes. Plus the UK right hand drive is always the last to get the goods, even though I ordered on day 1. I just don't want to wait till 2019 for a Tesla. However doesn't mean I don't love all three and I am now thinking if we fall in love with the X as I suspect then perhaps the Model 3 can be our second Tesla. Either way for 1k which is fully refundable like the 400k+ orderers what I could see on launch day was a beautiful car and I bet it will be amazing to drive. Once again I stare at the picture on my computer desktop and long for the day I hear my car is going into production :rolleyes:

Yeah it is a bit of an upgrade from the model 3 ........!!
Juggling a few cars around as I have a small Limited company, accountant has always advised to keep away from putting cars through the business but Tesla has now changed this outlook completely .
When I did the maths on the X it really isn't any more expensive than buying a 40-45K ICE..........I would of probably gone for the S but I personally think residuals will fall on the arrival of the model 3 . If the M3 is going to be 3 Series size a lot of buyers will automatically drift into the M3 just purely on price. If given a choice of a brand new M3 or a 3 year old Model S I guess most will prefer to go new.........It will be interesting to hear others thoughts on this?
The model 3 will now be given to my sales manager who clocks up 40000 miles a year , when you tap fuel,monthly payments etc into a calculator it is far far cheaper than perhaps running something like a VW Passatt or even a 3 series..............

I suspect then perhaps the Model 3 can be our second Tesla

I think Model 3's will be all our other Teslas! I can see us moving both kids from Parent's Cast Off Golfs to Model 3s ...

accountant has always advised to keep away from putting cars through the business but Tesla has now changed this outlook completely

My accountant was similarly ecstatic at the idea :)

If given a choice of a brand new M3 or a 3 year old Model S I guess most will prefer to go new.........It will be interesting to hear others thoughts on this?

I think a more likely audience is the second hand Jag driver - someone who likes to have a large / luxury / prestigious car. Those fuel-hungry cars are expensive to run, so perhaps only the 2nd-hand vehicle of choice for low mileage drivers. 2nd-hand Tesla will also benefit high mileage drivers, and the savvy may look at the reduced cost of maintenance (although the cost is of replacing, say, the main screen and other Tesla-specific parts is a big unknown)

when you tap fuel,monthly payments etc into a calculator

My man maths says around £100 per month saved per 10,000 miles p.a., so at 40,000 miles p.a. stuffing £400 in the monthly payments changes the whole ballgame as to what sort of car is possible ...

I have to say I originally ordered the Model 3 as a backup in case my model X dream wasn't approved by the Mrs. I just didn't want to order such a high value item unless the whole family was on board. I want us to enjoy the Tesla journey together. My real concern with the Model 3 is that like the Model S it meant a compromise as it doesn't do everything I wanted for work and pleasure. The tax changes in April 17 made it clear to me and the wife that if I was to push the boat out for the ideal car the model X then it was now or wait for the model 3 with no guarantees it will tick all boxes. Plus the UK right hand drive is always the last to get the goods, even though I ordered on day 1. I just don't want to wait till 2019 for a Tesla. However doesn't mean I don't love all three and I am now thinking if we fall in love with the X as I suspect then perhaps the Model 3 can be our second Tesla. Either way for 1k which is fully refundable like the 400k+ orderers what I could see on launch day was a beautiful car and I bet it will be amazing to drive. Once again I stare at the picture on my computer desktop and long for the day I hear my car is going into production :rolleyes:

I was away golfing with the guys in Portugal and literally stumbled into the model 3 online while I was chilling out before heading down to the port with the guys . it just seemed such an interesting concept that i just knew I wanted to be part of it, the next day was launch day so I like you paid the deposit and from that moment on wards Tesla has become a regular topic of conversation amongst friends and family, even though to be honest the conversation is normally start by moi !
I too knew the Model 3 wouldn't tick all the boxes but I was prepared to give it a go even if it was only as a temporary measure before off loading it to either the wife or an employee....!! Model S was a consideration while waiting for the M3 to arrive as I too calculated that 2019 would be a more realistic date for the UK M3 deliveries to start but the S would of definitely of been a compromise and I really do think MS residuals will be hit once M3 starts to hit the streets in the UK.
The X is 99% perfect for my requirements, the only issue will be range anxiety when heading north as the charging infrastructure looks extremely poor north of Edinburgh, for example I am on a golfing trip in the highlands of Scotland towards the end of September, if it was next year would I be comfortable in taking the X ? Probably not but luckily I have access to other ICE cars so over ownership this shouldn't be an issue but realistically will I want to stop driving the X?? ............nope I don`t think so............... but it is possible on occasions this may have to be considered.
I guess in 5-10 years time when ranges exceeds 500 miles this wont even come under consideration but in the meantime you have to be prepared to accommodate range issues and look at all of the other benefits driving a Tesla provides ?

I think Model 3's will be all our other Teslas! I can see us moving both kids from Parent's Cast Off Golfs to Model 3s ...

I think a more likely audience is the second hand Jag driver - someone who likes to have a large / luxury / prestigious car. Those fuel-hungry cars are expensive to run, so perhaps only the 2nd-hand vehicle of choice for low mileage drivers. 2nd-hand Tesla will also benefit high mileage drivers, and the savvy may look at the reduced cost of maintenance (although the cost is of replacing, say, the main screen and other Tesla-specific parts is a big unknown)

My man maths says around £100 per month saved per 10,000 miles p.a., so at 40,000 miles p.a. stuffing £400 in the monthly payments changes the whole ballgame as to what sort of car is possible ...

yes perfect for cash strapped teens, the only problem is they have to remember to charge the bloody thing....!!

Yeah it certainly makes a nice change .......no guilt factor either!!

That`s exactly my fag packet calc as well!

Reactions: WannabeOwner
That's really interesting I wasn't aware of some of that. What I really care about is that we definitely take delivery before end of March so we won't have to pay premium tax yearly on our MX. So I would consider anything that avoids that happening. The 3rd and 4th quarter ramp up on the X suggests that they should meet the deadline. The launch of the X in Australia which is right hand drive suggest once again it's looking good for production. So long as you avoid ordering 5 seat version i believe they will meet the schedule. I loved the model s but couldn't buy it as no tow pack, if Elon had listened to customers requests I would have had one some time ago. Only the X and 3 have tow packs. Hence my orders

Hi cookielovers, can you elaborate on what you mean by premium tax , have I missed something?