Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Calling owners whom have BOTH Model S and Model Y - cabin noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would be interested to hear the observations of anyone who regularly drives both Model S and Model Y in terms of how the ride comfort and cabin noise for each compares.
In particular how well suited is the Y for long road trips compared to the S from the point of view of cabin noise and ride comfort.

To be honest I don’t notice too much road noise in my Y. We have the radio on low and talk most of the time without having to raise voices. mine has the rear parcel shelf which I’m led to believe has significantly reduced road noise and rumble in the cabin. I sit in the back when we have a car ful and the wife drives and still quiet. As for ride, a bit crash at slow speeds around the awful local roads but once it gets going it’s better than the bmw’s I drive at work.

Reactions: TheManofMead
2021 Model S LR and 2022 Model Y P:

The Model Y has more comfortable seats and the sound system is richer. The Model S has a more comfortable suspension and 25% more range.

Model S cabin noise is slightly more muted than the Y. Both have the Parcel Shelf installed, and the same make of tires. (Which is far more relevant in determining road noise. I swapped the Pirellis on the S and the Michelins on the MYP for the Continental ProContact OE for both.)

I’m tall 6’2”, I don’t like the seat height in the Model Y. It’s about 2-3 inches too tall since the center of my vision is at the top of the windshield. Otherwise, a really nice car. I’d trade the seat cushions in the Model Y over the ventilated seats in the S any day. But, the S is an S and I always wanted one. More cramped than I expected, but more lateral space too. It’s weird. Hit my head on the ceiling a few times getting in and out, but my line of sight is in the right place when I drive.

I own a 2022 MS and 2021 MYP. The MS is significantly quieter and smoother particularly at highway speeds. Of course air suspension helps with ride quality, but the MS feels like a solid luxury car after being in the MY.
There is a LOT more soundproofing in the MS vs. any M3/Y platform.. in the sled, doors, A/B.C pillar, windows, etc… NTM the ANC.(the least of it all at this point)
there is a LOT one can do with a M3/Y config after market to help with that, and having low noise windows is one thing already in the current builds, but an MS IMHO is always going to be a more luxurious GT quite type of experience.

I’ve had 2x MS, a M3 and now a MY.

The MS were quieter, especially suspension noise on rough surfaces, on a quiet road surface I could hear a faint whistling sound on my second MS from around the door mirror which was a little annoying, but gives an idea of the background noise. That said, on a smooth piece of quiet tarmac (the type of road surface does matter, anyone who’s driven parts of the M25 will know what I mean) the MY can also be silent. Overall, the MS was definitely quieter.

Comfort, same again, I know there’s a lot of talk about Tesla improving the MY suspension, but they did need to. There’s a rough country lane I drive and the combination of suspension and suspension noise makes you think you’re driving a transit van. That’s worst case, it’s far from like that everywhere, but it’s not something I’ve ever experienced in other cars on that bit of road.

Handing wise, the Model S is lazier and more relaxed, the steering isn’t so quick, and neither are drivers cars as such. That quick steering in the MY plus the firm suspension and I think more sensitive throttle make it feel edgier and sportier, but i recon if you timed it, the Model S will be quicker, partly as the later cars are so much quicker to accelerate.

Where the MY s ores is charging speed and efficiency. That said, ther3 have been software updates on the MS to improve so it might be closer now, but I was amazed how fast the M3 and MY added miles on a V3 charger compared to my old P90D

I own a 2021 MS LR (refresh) and a 2022 MYP (with Michelin PS All-Seasons). Even with my wider than stock tires on the S, it's substantially quieter at motorway speeds. Once you get over 60 in the Y, the wind noise becomes much more noticeable. The ride is also better in the S. Although the ride in the MYP is actually pretty good considering the side of the wheels/tires. I think they have improved the suspension, as I don't see what others are complaining about. The S due to the much lower center of gravity, wider stance and wider wheels also feels much more stable at motorway speeds (not that the Y doesn't, but the S feels ridiculously good). I've not taken the Y on any really long road trips yet, but the seats might be a touch more comfortable in the Y than the S. The S seats are bigger but feel firmer. Given the choice I would take the S on a road trip, any day of the week.

I haven't actually owned an S, but driven plenty of them over the last 4 years while I owned an X. I have to say they (S and Y) are chalk and cheese when it comes to both ride feel and handling. The S is a classic soft motorway cruiser, while the Y feels more like an oversized hot hatch i.e. relatively stiff and much more responsive (super-quick steering ratio amplifies this feeling). Having said that I did a long road trip to the south of France this summer in our MY LR and it was pretty effortless. French roads are very forgiving though! Cabin noise in the MY is relatively high too, but then the S is not much quieter from memory. Our X also had similar cabin noise to the Y, perhaps a tad less.

In summary I think you will find the Y to be a downward step from the S in both ride comfort and cabin noise, but it appears you also have a M3P, so you should already have a pretty good idea what to expect from a Y.

I’ve had 2x MS, a M3 and now a MY.

Me two : MS (2015) and M3 (2019 I think) and now MS (2019) and MY (Feb 2022) 'coz we needed hatchback and tow bar

I drive both almost every day. The S is quieter and has much better suspension than the Y.

^^ THIS

The M3 was much tighter to drive, the M3 was like tight hot hatch, the MY scrabbles under full throttle and needs more concentration in spirted driving. MY suspension much more harsh (unless they have improved it significantly) and a fair number of people have said "Too harsh" and chopped it in.

MS air suspension ideal for motorway cruiser. Arrive far more refreshed than all the Golf-sized cars I have driven over the years. We take the MS on 100% of longer journerys, MY for run-to-shops. Easier to park (although its still fairly big)

Based on a foreign-country tour in convoy with M3 LR the MS had slightly better range. Loads of cargo space in back of MS to just chuck everything in.

Elderly parents like the MY most for getting in/out, M3 was OK, MS is "far too low"

M3 and MS 40-90 identical times, MY only 1/3rd second slower (none of them performance)