Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CALTRANS negligence = cracked windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,
Today Caltrans’ tractor was spraying rocks and debris into Northbound highway 101 resulting in a cracked windshield and possible other damage to the paint. As I drive by my car was getting blasted by flying rocks. . I immediately pulled off at the next exit and called them (I honked my horn to time stamp the incident). They’ve directed me to an online claims forms. I’ve already pulled the higher resolution 4 camera videos off my jump drive as evidence and can even see larger rocks flying by and bouncing off the glass. I’ll need to know what the cost to replace this will be. The crack is the size of a quarter and will grow. I will not be reporting this to my insurance nor accepting a “cracked windshield repair”. Anyone know the cost of a Model Y replacement done by Tesla SC?
49F6B6CB-DC9D-497B-8CCB-BA5511AEE1DC.jpeg
7E6512AD-DB8A-4898-A187-220FC62DAFD6.jpeg
Thanks.

Some of those CalTrans drivers have an "interesting" way of going about things. Glad no one got hurt. Sorry about the windshield.

A few years ago my wife was driving down a local highway in the slow lane, a CalTrans water truck pulled out of the side of the road into her path, so she slammed on the brakes to avoid it. The car behind her was unable to stop and rear-ended my wife. Both drivers pointed to the CalTrans truck that pulled out without signaling, and without giving right of way. Did the CalTrans guy stop...nope, he turned the wrong way down an off ramp and drove away. Leaving my then pregnant wife and 3 year old daughter at the side of the road with a disabled car. Luckily I was nearby and able to get there quickly.

Good luck getting it replaced - unless that crack spread. If it's under a quarter and not in your li of sight... I go through a windshield a year from rocks. Sometimes I just wait until it's super bad so I get a couple of years out of each one.