Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camco 55195 50A / 30' Extension Cable - Amazon Lightning Deal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@ohmman, where have you found that you needed a 14-50 extension cord? Was this at campgrounds?
By the way, I love the avatar Christmas hat, Ho Ho Hohmman. You just need a white beard to be a true Australopithe-Claus.
We frequently stay at VRBO type rentals. I use it for extending to a dryer outlet (with adapter). They're almost always just inside the garage.

Thanks re:the hat. It's very comfortable!

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
@ohmman, where have you found that you needed a 14-50 extension cord? Was this at campgrounds?
It was mainly because of this. For most of the past couple of years, Tesla had discontinued most of the other types of official adapters. There were no 6-50, 10-50, 10-30, 14-30, etc. The car did come with a 14-50 adapter.
So, this extension cord became the defacto extender that the car could plug into. And since it is a normal RV accessory, it's easy to find. Then, the other piece of the puzzle is a set of 3rd party pigtail adapter cables to change this 14-50 to any of those other types of plugs. So it became a little common among some of the early adopters to have this system of "14-50 to whatever". This cord is versatile in being able to handle any circuits of 50 amps or less, and you would just need to set the amps in the car for anything less than 50.

My comment about doing it differently is that since the most common use scenario I would have is a 30 amp dryer outlet, I could have given up the 50 amp capability to have a thinner cable that is lighter and easier to work with.

Reactions: ohmman
My comment about doing it differently is that since the most common use scenario I would have is a 30 amp dryer outlet, I could have given up the 50 amp capability to have a thinner cable that is lighter and easier to work with.
I agree with this. I'm on the verge of convincing myself to buy a travel trailer, so the extension cord is going to probably come in handy as-is, but in general 30 amps is plenty, and it saves a lot of weight. I used to carry that cord in my frunk but now only do it when I'm on road trips.