Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

came back and 80% of my battery had vanished.. help please?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys. I parked my car inside a garage at work, and when I came back 8 hours later noticed the batter was only at 10% whereas normally I have about 60-70%. The HVAC didn't seem to be running or anything. (once I inadvertently turned the HVAC on my app on my other model s).

any ideas what may have caused this? My best guess is I must've done it in the Tesla app (butt dialed the app) when going through my other apps or something..

thanks in advance. Was able to charge at a local supercharger no problem. Car and battery have otherwise been fine, 45K miles.

Even the heat wouldn't explain it, since once the cabin is up to temperature there would be only negligible call for heat, especially in a ~50f parking garage.
Depends on what the actual percentage the OP started at and while it is true that the heater consumption goes down, I don't know that I would call it negligible, I find that when driving on a cold day my consumption goes up about 2-3 kWh, but it can get a lot colder than 50F in MD! I grant you would this alone does not seem to account for the loss, but them add in Sentry (if enabled) and maybe we get closer? In any case, this was just a suggested possibility.

Reactions: Sophias_dad
Unless something is seriously wrong, something like what you suggested makes sense. Your car will consume "about" 6 kW / hour when the heat is running. So 6 kWh x 8 hours = 48 kWh.
Hmm...not sure where you got 6k/W/hour consumption. I slept in my car for 3 consecutive nights during the 4-day freeze in TX, 68f in the car, and it consumed 6% of battery in each 6 hour period...IIRC...

You sure?

“Sentry Mode relies on cameras constantly recording activities around the vehicle once a proximity alert is triggered.”

“Once a proximity alert is triggered” sure sounds like something activity based to me…
In the Tesla vehicle Sentry mode will cause the Tesla vehicle to remain awake due to the cameras and the computer systems needing to remain active. That is why the power drain is so much greater than when the Tesla vehicle is stopped, allowed to enter sleep mode. The difference is almost 10X more power when the Tesla vehicle is awake; 230W when awake versus 25W when in sleep mode.

The Tesla vehicle's 12V battery can power the Tesla vehicle for about a day if the Tesla vehicle is in sleep mode. The 12V battery does not have the capacity to power the Tesla vehicle's 12V systems for very long when the Tesla vehicle is not in sleep mode, the Tesla vehicle remains awake and the power conversion module provides power to the Tesla vehicle's 12V systems drawing power from the Tesla battery pack. This power drain is noticeable, resulting in en effective loss of 1 mile of range per hour from the battery. Sentry mode would not have drained the battery 50 to 60% over 8 hours, would expect 4 or 5% in 8 hours.

When the cameras detect motion or the door handles are tried this triggers a Sentry mode event. Four of the eight cameras have been recording all of the time that Sentry mode has been active. The Sentry mode event triggers the system to save the most recent 10 minutes of video. Triggering multiple Sentry mode events will not use appreciably more power but will fill up the Dashcam/Sentry mode USB storage device. Sentry mode events are saved until you decide to delete the file(s) or reformat the storage device.

Last edited: