Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Came Back to Tesla!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

My name’s Andrew and I live in New Smyrna Beach, FL. In June 2017, I took delivery of a Model X 90D. I had many issues with my Model X, especially with the FWDs. By December 2018, I wound up taking Tesla up on their offer to buyback my car from me.

I replaced my Model X with a brand new 2019 Porsche 718 S Roadster. While the Porsche was fun, it was no Tesla and far more expensive to own/operate.

Fast forward to today and I have sold my Porsche and have a 2021 Tesla Model Y Long Range on order. I will be taking delivery of it this coming Saturday, 2/20/21! I am thrilled to be back in a Tesla again, where I belong....and for 1/3 the ownership/operating costs of my Porsche! The cost of ownership difference between my Porsche and my Tesla is like night and day, especially now that I have Solar + Powerwalls installed on my house.

Andrew

Hi everyone,
My name’s Andrew and I live in New Smyrna Beach, FL. In June 2017, I took delivery of a Model X 90D. I had many issues with my Model X, especially with the FWDs. By December 2018, I wound up taking Tesla up on their offer to buyback my car from me.I replaced my Model X with a brand new 2019 Porsche 718 S Roadster. While the Porsche was fun, it was no Tesla and far more expensive to own/operate. Fast forward to today and I have sold my Porsche and have a 2021 Tesla Model Y Long Range on order. I will be taking delivery of it this coming Saturday, 2/20/21! I am thrilled to be back in a Tesla again, where I belong....and for 1/3 the ownership/operating costs of my Porsche! The cost of ownership difference between my Porsche and my Tesla is like night and day, especially now that I have Solar + Powerwalls installed on my house. Andrew

Welcome back!

• Love
Reactions: dreamwave6
It is not a surprise, but can you please elaborate a bit more on the cost of ownership? Can you run thru some numbers?

Certainly! FYI, I am not including cost of tires, brake pads/rotors, wipers or any other consumables here as that is pretty much a wash between Porsche & Tesla (though brakes will last a lot longer on a Tesla thanks to regenerative braking).

2019 Porsche 718 S Roadster:
-Monthly Loan Payment: $1,700
-Monthly Fueling Costs: $500
-Monthly Maintenance Costs (Based on average of $3,600 / year): $300
Total Monthly Costs: $2,500

2021 Tesla Model Y LR AWD:
-Monthly Loan Payment: $944
-Monthly Fueling Costs: $25 (I have Solar+Powerwalls with excess generation)
-Monthly Maintenance Costs (Based on $200 for brake fluid flush every 2 years): $8
Total Monthly Costs: $977

Andrew

Thanks for the details, did you consider the Ford Mach-e or Audi e-tron or anything else (Polestar-2)?
I am assuming the Y you ordered was the 5-seater version.
Perhaps you need/like the Supercharger network?

The only other make/vehicle I considered was the Mach-E GT. Given that I need a car right now, though, the GT is not yet available. Also, I really don’t trust getting Ford’s first true BEV in its first model year.

Yes, my Y is a 5-seater version.

I do like the Supercharger network but, for everyday use, I definitely won’t need it. I have Solar + Powerwalls installed in my home with excess solar generation of 20-30 kWh on most days. On top of this, my electric rate from my utility company is less than $0.10 / kWh with no higher tiers. As such, it will be very inexpensive to keep my Model Y “fueled”. My Tesla Wall Connector (Gen 3) arrived on Friday and is going to be installed by a Tesla-recommended electrician this Wednesday. I’m getting it installed with a 60 amp circuit to maximize my charging rate at 48 amps / 42 MPH.

Hi everyone,

Fast forward to today and I have sold my Porsche and have a 2021 Tesla Model Y Long Range on order. I will be taking delivery of it this coming Saturday, 2/20/21! I am thrilled to be back in a Tesla again, where I belong....and for 1/3 the ownership/operating costs of my Porsche! The cost of ownership difference between my Porsche and my Tesla is like night and day, especially now that I have Solar + Powerwalls installed on my house.

Andrew

did you look at the taycan?

0ECA6261-8E57-4F47-9F40-2B3C384B4294.jpeg
4262A8E9-89CA-4AD3-AF6F-691B8B3D0360.jpeg
I have warped logic. I had a 2020 Model X performance that I picked up in December 2019. I also had a Ferrari at the time. I was uncomfortable having a 130k vehicle as my daily driver so I sold it after 7 months (lost a ton of $$$) and bought an Audi, but apparently I have no problem spending that much on a weekend car. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So now I'm coming back to Tesla. Very excited about the Model Y!

View attachment 637004 View attachment 637005 I have warped logic. I had a 2020 Model X performance that I picked up in December 2019. I also had a Ferrari at the time. I was uncomfortable having a 130k vehicle as my daily driver so I sold it after 7 months (lost a ton of $$$) and bought an Audi, but apparently I have no problem spending that much on a weekend car. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So now I'm coming back to Tesla. Very excited about the Model Y!

LOL. I get it. Our weekend cars are where our true passion lies, hence the willingness to spend more.

Welcome back to Tesla as well! Like you, I am very excited about my Model Y. I’m taking delivery of it this Saturday, 2/20 here at the Orlando store. I’m hoping it will have the new center console but, if it doesn’t, I can get the ABS covering pieces on Amazon.

My FOBs arrived in today and my Gen 3 Wall Connector arrived on Saturday. I’m getting it installed in my garage by a Tesla-authorized electrician the day after tomorrow.

The fact that 2 Euro sports car loving guys both regret no longer having Teslas and are both correcting it is very telling.

LOL. I get it. Our weekend cars are where our true passion lies, hence the willingness to spend more.

Welcome back to Tesla as well! Like you, I am very excited about my Model Y. I’m taking delivery of it this Saturday, 2/20 here at the Orlando store. I’m hoping it will have the new center console but, if it doesn’t, I can get the ABS covering pieces on Amazon.

My FOBs arrived in today and my Gen 3 Wall Connector arrived on Saturday. I’m getting it installed in my garage by a Tesla-authorized electrician the day after tomorrow.

The fact that 2 Euro sports car loving guys both regret no longer having Teslas and are both correcting it is very telling.

There is something about waking up to a "fully" charged car each morning, not having to go to a gas station, and the instant torque cannot be beat. I also love the stereo system in Teslas. Oh, and I love autopilot.

Having said that, I do "need" the visceral experience of my 6 speed manual sports car on the weekends. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I sent a message to confirm that mine has the new headlights, console, and the 82 kwh battery. I was told it was actually in transit from California to Texas and they would let me know once it arrives at the store.

John