Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camera and the rain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While the resolution on the Model S's camera is a marvel, it seems affected by rain and dirt more than backup cameras on my Lexus as well as my Sienna. I don't know if this is a placement issue, an aerodynamics issue or anomalous bad luck on my part. Perhaps there's a non-fugly rain shade that could be engineered to address this.

Anyone else see this issue?

While the resolution on the Model S's camera is a marvel, it seems affected by rain and dirt more than backup cameras on my Lexus as well as my Sienna. I don't know if this is a placement issue, an aerodynamics issue or anomalous bad luck on my part. Perhaps there's a non-fugly rain shade that could be engineered to address this.

Anyone else see this issue?

Yeah, it's a problem with the S, but really no worse than the Acuras I've owned.

The placement and lack of guard on the camera is the reason.

I suppose one could fashion a little shade for it. Would look a bit hokey. Here's a picture -- the camera is just below the Tesla branding right above the license plate. Just below the "E". Sticks out just a little.
small for posting.jpg

Really? While I've only driven it in ferocious cold with lots of snow, I've had complete visibility the whole time. It is, of course, a fish eye lens, but apart from that distortion I've found it better than my SUV's (they get covered the moment I go on the road. Maybe when it warms up above -30 that will change for me!