Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

camera based detection-battery drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

So has it been confirmed whether turning off camera based detection for sentry mode consume less battery than having it on? and if so, by how much?
I plan on going on a long vacation overseas for about 3 weeks, and thought i'd leave sentry mode on with this new feature.
thanks.

Reactions: SuperPigDots
Hi guys,

So has it been confirmed whether turning off camera based detection for sentry mode consume less battery than having it on? and if so, by how much?
I plan on going on a long vacation overseas for about 3 weeks, and thought i'd leave sentry mode on with this new feature.
thanks.
Do you actually see the setting in your car? I remember reading that this feature was only rolled out to areas like Europe that have tilt/intrusion sensors in the Model 3. The Model S does have that a tilt/intrusion sensor option in the US, but I'm not aware of Model 3 having it.

Do you actually see the setting in your car? I remember reading that this feature was only rolled out to areas like Europe that have tilt/intrusion sensors in the Model 3. The Model S does have that a tilt/intrusion sensor option in the US, but I'm not aware of Model 3 having it.
yeap this option is available for my model 3. i'm not sure whether model 3 has tilt/intrusion sensor or not though. would be odd if it didnt.

I also wouldn't expect a big savings.
As a SWAG, my limited testing estimates Sentry mode on my M3 pulls about 210W. A quick google check estimates that not writing to the Flash drive only saves about 0.36W (~0.1%). So the question is does the FSD computer get shut down in this mode? That might save 72W (34%). Even then that still uses ~89% SOC on a LR over 3 weeks, so it only impacts when sentry mode will shut off before you get back.

If it does, Controls > Safety > Tilt/Intrusion should be an option.
Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

I have a 2021 and mine does not have them, and prior to that, I don't think any US Model 3 had them. Maybe the newer ones do.
interesting. my car does not have tilt/intrusion as an option under controls->safety... i wonder what functionality turning off camera based detection would have for model 3s... my guess is nothing? perhaps tesla hasn't thought this out when they rolled out the update. :(

interesting. my car does not have tilt/intrusion as an option under controls->safety... i wonder what functionality turning off camera based detection would have for model 3s... my guess is nothing? perhaps tesla hasn't thought this out when they rolled out the update. :(
Perhaps it works on the car alarm? The regular car alarm just alarms if a locked door or trunk is opened when there is no key nearby.
Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

Others speculated that Sentry can use the USS, but there is zero evidence Tesla used USS for Sentry (even before they removed them).

Perhaps you can test it out with camera disabled and see if it detects any events walking from the side (where there are no USS) and then front or rear (where there are USS). Of course this is only possible if your car has USS.

Telsa confirmed this via text to me last week. After they closed out my service request, they sent me a text out of the blue stating that they showed that setting was causing significant battery drain. I texted back to clarify since I never turn on Sentry Mode, and they said it will drain battery even with Sentry Mode off. So, I have turned it off, and low and behold, I am no longer getting 1%+ drain in an hour when parked in public settings. Now it's down to 0->.2% at most if I'm parked for a day.

It does seem like a software glitch, though--if camera based detection is on but Sentry Mode is off, then one would expect the cameras would be turned off, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Not sure if it's fixed in a more recent firmware as I just updated to the latest today.