Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camera Blind Spot MS Raven

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, does anyone know if the blind spot camera is available on a MS Raven? We currently have a demo and are trying out the refreshed X that has it. Very nice feature and I would imagine there is a camera close to the blind spot just because of the visualization.

I have a 2019 Raven. Blind spot cameras are not enabled when using turn signals. No idea why not. They're active when in reverse. Can't see a hardware restriction preventing the cameras from being used.

Although it's frustrating not to have the blind spot cameras, I will add that there are visual notifications on the instrument cluster with red graphics highlighting when vehicles are in blind spot.

I’ve had both and it’s really not a big deal in practice. I think it’s only a software limitation they have decided to not implement (so far). That said, there are probably other more valuable features the refresh has. Like Birds Eye view in parking lots. Or checking on your dogs in doggie mode.

There is a table somewhere on Tesla web site describing what features are on which platforms.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
I’ve had both and it’s really not a big deal in practice. I think it’s only a software limitation they have decided to not implement (so far). That said, there are probably other more valuable features the refresh has. Like Birds Eye view in parking lots. Or checking on your dogs in doggie mode.

There is a table somewhere on Tesla web site describing what features are on which platforms.
Oh wow, I have to find this. We are keeping the Raven regardless because of free supercharging. It’s definitely software and minor. Just wanted to make sure. You can view the cabin in dog mode from the phone?

There is a table somewhere on Tesla web site

20211224_143646.jpg

Source

Reactions: SSSimon
Thanks! Unreal how the Y and 3 beat out the legacy by so much. SMH
Having MCU2 on legacy s/X is worth it IMO and brings the comparison closer. I have it on my 2017 MS.

The only feature that would be nice to have is the blind spot camera. It does seem like it’s just a software limitation but it could also be related to the screen orientation and where to place it when driving.

it could also be related to the screen orientation and where to place it when driving

Since the Instrument Cluster is just a screen/display on MCU2 vehicles, it should appear there, just like on Hyundai/Kia vehicles.

@verygreen did a amazing proof of concept a few years ago, so hardware-wise, it's very very possible:

The only feature that would be nice to have is the blind spot camera.

I would trade blind spot camera for the ability to activate Sentry mode and Dog mode at the same time, in a heartbeat. Just like Model 3/Y and Palladium S/X got with firmware 2022.40.1...

That's a very simple change in a line of code for the Legacy platform, but noooooooo, planned obsolescence all the way :rolleyes:.

Reactions: SSSimon and GasNah
Since the Instrument Cluster is just a screen/display on MCU2 vehicles, it should appear there, just like on Hyundai/Kia vehicles.

@verygreen did a amazing proof of concept a few years ago, so hardware-wise, it's very very possible:

I would trade blind spot camera for the ability to activate Sentry mode and Dog mode at the same time, in a heartbeat. Just like Model 3/Y and Palladium S/X got with firmware 2022.40.1...

That's a very simple change in a line of code for the Legacy platform, but noooooooo, planned obsolescence all the way :rolleyes:.
I do wish they would add those updates. Seems silly not to.

But overall I have been pleased with the updates my 2017 MS still gets after all these years.

Reactions: SSSimon
Not sure I'd rate a trivial feature as planned obsolescence, especially since it was an added feature for free. Tesla adds lots of features after you purchase your car, and some are limited due to hardware.

As for adding it to the old instrument panel, older instrument panels do not have a fast data/video connection to the MCU, I don't see how they could display video. All the graphic animations you see are done with the instrument panel's slow dual-core CPU.

Then there is the testing to ensure any change didn't break something else. There is no way it's a line of code and this is far from simple or risk-free for Tesla, especially on memory-limited slow hardware like MCU1 that is already stretched way beyond its original limits. Remember MCU1 was designed back in 2010-2011, so it's now more than 12 years old technology. Sort of amazing they've been able to add as much as they have.

Not sure I'd rate a trivial feature as planned obsolescence, especially since it was an added feature for free. Tesla adds lots of features after you purchase your car, and some are limited due to hardware.

As for adding it to the old instrument panel, older instrument panels do not have a fast data/video connection to the MCU, I don't see how they could display video. All the graphic animations you see are done with the instrument panel's slow dual-core CPU.

Then there is the testing to ensure any change didn't break something else. There is no way it's a line of code and this is far from simple or risk-free for Tesla, especially on memory-limited slow hardware like MCU1 that is already stretched way beyond its original limits. Remember MCU1 was designed back in 2010-2011, so it's now more than 12 years old technology. Sort of amazing they've been able to add as much as they have.
add them for MCU1? No. But they could for MCU2.

• Love
Reactions: Art VandeIay