Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camera Bus snooping / Camera power

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DrDabbles

Jul 28, 2017
NH, US
I was told that @BearBu could possibly help with this question. I'm wondering if anybody has tapped the camera buses to see what commands may be sent back and forth, or if the bus carries only video data? My end goal is to figure out if Tesla sends power commands to the cameras, or if they rely on the PCB or CMOS sensor to handle power modes?

I know that the CMOS sensors can handle two modes of standby / low power, and I know at least some of the CMOS sensors have this logic internally but that you can configure it to disable. But it would seem like the CMOS gets programmed out of band using I2C from what I've read, and I don't know if the LVDS that carries image data can also carry I2C to interact with the sensors or not. I wouldn't imagine so, but this is out of my realm of expertise. Obviously if they could send data over the bus, then they could instruct PCB to do something with CMOS, or could pass through to CMOS depending on design obviously.

In effect, I'm wondering if Tesla can modify sensor config parameters after deployment into the field, or if they can update parameters with cameras in place inside cars.