Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camera cleaning driving in snow storms

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am about to put in an order for a model Y. Since new cars are more rely on cameras. I am wondering how the car keeps the camera clean from dirty snow and mud?

Thanks
Generally the only one you have to worry about is the one mounted to the trunk lid. The arrow dynamics of the car keep the others fairly clean. Snow also will accumulate on the tail lights too. It's a good idea to stop every once in a while and clean the rear of the car off (especially in a heavy snow storm.) The tail lights do not produce enough heat to keep the snow melted.

Reactions: hcdavis3
The cameras heat slightly so it shouldn't be a problem. In major snow storms, just like you as a human have lower visibility, so will the cameras. There's nothing you can do about that. Plenty of people drive Teslas in the snow (Canada, North of Europe etc)...
I know the rear tail lights cover themselves with snow during a storm. Does your rear camera smudge over while traveling in a snow storm?

I drive in very cold temps and lots of snow.
#1) keep a bottle of Windex in the car for when the cameras get dirty from road sand / salt. The weather may be great, but if it was bad earlier that day, the crud you get on the car will prevent you from using autopilot.
#2) -20 deg F , blue washer fluid works great, I've used it forever. I'm not sure what the above poster is talking about.

Reactions: saltsman
try that in freezing temperature and see what happens.

Have you actually driven during the freezing condition and try to use your "Antifreeze solution"? Please try it this winter and report back.
I have used windshield fluid numerous times in the winter growing up in upstate New York. Particularly when I was lazy and didn't want to scrape the ice off my windshield. A few sprays of windshield washer fluid and a couple passes of the wipers and the ice would be gone. Also while I was driving when snow and salt would get thrown on the windshield. It seems like you are the one who is unfamiliar with antifreeze windshield washer fluid being a real thing.

Wait....I just noticed you're from Virginia....you shouldn't be talking like you're a winter expert.

@BlackTea As someone who owned and drove a Model Y now for over a year and all four seasons here in Chicago, I've never had Autopilot shutdown ever because of an obscured camera due to snow. Freezing sleet, forming a thick coating of ice, did stop the radar from working on one trip but that was the only issue and now with radar being disabled it shouldn't be an issue this winter.

I have used windshield fluid numerous times in the winter growing up in upstate New York. Particularly when I was lazy and didn't want to scrape the ice off my windshield. A few sprays of windshield washer fluid and a couple passes of the wipers and the ice would be gone. Also while I was driving when snow and salt would get thrown on the windshield. It seems like you are the one who is unfamiliar with antifreeze windshield washer fluid being a real thing.

Wait....I just noticed you're from Virginia....you shouldn't be talking like you're a winter expert.
that's cute. growing up in NY, so how many years of driving? now in CA? okay. I've been driving 49 years in VA, and I am pretty sure that I have way more winter driving experience than you do.