Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camera condensation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This issue is (not surprisingly) most common in cold weather where the inside of the car is warm and humid.

It doesn't take much to warm the glass enough to get rid of the condensation. I tried just resting my hand over the camera window and after a few minutes the condensation had gone.... along with the feeling in my fingers!

I don't see any solution working that doesn't either force ventilate the camera window, warm the glass slightly or hermetically seal the camera enclosure.

Reactions: Adopado
Well I’m having a slightly different issue. Where, the condensation did NOT dry and now it’s permanently stain and giving all kinds of issue. This is how my front camera looks now.

Attachments

• 1C6A3F85-1069-4CD9-9BEE-B5D6ADF5EFF2.jpeg
    1C6A3F85-1069-4CD9-9BEE-B5D6ADF5EFF2.jpeg
    693.8 KB · Views: 166
  • 593F2D8C-CFF9-47D8-BB00-41AB1CCD6A07.jpeg
    593F2D8C-CFF9-47D8-BB00-41AB1CCD6A07.jpeg
    428.3 KB · Views: 142
  • 42E833A2-8298-4FE6-8695-28F15F240821.jpeg
    42E833A2-8298-4FE6-8695-28F15F240821.jpeg
    639.5 KB · Views: 118
Well I’m having a slightly different issue. Where, the condensation did NOT dry and now it’s permanently stain and giving all kinds of issue. This is how my front camera looks now.

Front cam is different as far as I know. Should be sealed and heated:

IMG_20200214_074509.jpg

I am not sure what I am looking at in your pics. The reflections make it hard to see.

Still waiting for my M3 LR and picking up lots of interesting info. FWIW, misting up is worse in my Leaf than in previous ICE cars. Air con clears it better than heating and according to the energy usage readout uses less energy. I wonder is air con the best answer for this too?
Looking forward to finding out!

Still waiting for my M3 LR and picking up lots of interesting info. FWIW, misting up is worse in my Leaf than in previous ICE cars. Air con clears it better than heating and according to the energy usage readout uses less energy. I wonder is air con the best answer for this too?

I think EVs have lower air flow through cabin to optimize heating. Obviously not a problem with ICE where you have loads of surplus heat.

Having AC on is always useful in reducing the moisture in the air. I routinely leave AC on and the heating on auto. I only change that if the fans seem to be blowing with more gusto than I deem necessary and then I dial them down. If the initial warm-up is whilst still plugged in then the impact on range appears to be negligible.

I got condensation in both pillar cams this morning with the attendant on screen warnings. First chilly morning with preheated car. It was clearing by the time I got home after a short journey.
Other than running HVAC, I presume there is no fix to prevent it.

I got condensation in both pillar cams this morning with the attendant on screen warnings. First chilly morning with preheated car. It was clearing by the time I got home after a short journey.
Other than running HVAC, I presume there is no fix to prevent it.

It must be a very sensitive issue.

I did a longish drive yesterday. High outside humidity. For the first time in months, arrived home with camera obscured message only on passenger side.

And of course the usual condensation!

I'm sure it's caused by humidity (obviously) but there is no heating or significant air flow in the B Pillar so nothing to heat the glass window.

It is frustrating and hard to believe Tesla don't have a fix. Glass with small heater probably the only fix.

I can see that having a minor benefit, but when I went to have that part installed months ago, the SC didn't believe it made much difference so I opted to wait for further evidence of it working.

Interested to hear if it has helped others.
The same gore patches are used in the tail light clusters and they don't seem to help much there...