Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camera condensation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, has anyone has any problems with condensation within the cameras? First real drive out today and the cruise kept cutting off stating that there was an obstruction (call service centre if this persists message) and looking at the front there is a large amount of condensation on the screen in front of the cameras. I also have it in the camera on the drivers side pillar. See pics. This does not seem a straightforward fix? Any thoughts?

20191002_102437.jpg

20191002_102157.jpg

20191002_103231.jpg

Just had the same thing, message for be was about blind spot detection and limited visibility. Had a look at the cameras when I arrived home most looked ok but the is condensation in the passenger side B pillar right by the camera.

Condensation on the B-Pillar cameras is "normal" and cleared by the air con running in the car.

Condensation in the windscreen cameras should be (automatically) cleared by the heating elements there. I had that fault last winter and Tesla - after diagnosing no other issues - replaced the whole windscreen for me. I haven't had a recurrence yet but it's early in the season.

Had exactly the same thing in the drivers side B pillar today as picture shows. Assume it’s down to it being very wet in the last few days and only doing short trips so air conditioning doesn’t get chance to remove all the moisture.

Attachments

• AD2C44C4-1467-429E-B839-BA05C4359D73.jpeg
    AD2C44C4-1467-429E-B839-BA05C4359D73.jpeg
    319.2 KB · Views: 1,045
  • Informative
Reactions: Murattukaalai
Had exactly the same thing in the drivers side B pillar today as picture shows. Assume it’s down to it being very wet in the last few days and only doing short trips so air conditioning doesn’t get chance to remove all the moisture.

How would aircon remove the condensations from the pillars and the cameras behind the windscreen, are these not sealed units? Not realy that au fait with the workings of these things.

I guess the aircon would heat the car and therefore the glass.

I guess that would work for a bit, but if you have a change in atmospheric conditions likely to cause more problems if the moisture is trapped inside. So Aircon would really just mask the problem, rather than solve it. As it impacts the autopilot I'd expect them to replace the unit. I might try and call them tomorrow as still in the 7 day window.

How would aircon remove the condensations from the pillars and the cameras behind the windscreen, are these not sealed units? Not realy that au fait with the workings of these things.

The B-Pillar cameras are not sealed units (AFAIK) and thus the air-con (with it's drier air) should clear condensation there once run.

Windscreen cameras are (semi) sealed from the rest of the cabin and thus have their own independent electric heating elements which should automatically run to clear condensation. At least on S/X, I assume this applies to Model 3 also.

Thanks, that's handy to know, particularly when discussing with the service centre.

Had noted the heating elements ahead of the screen cameras but had presume this was for clearing stuff in front of the glass (like ice) rather than condensation within. I read in some other places Tesla have had to replace screens for this problem! Hope there is an easier fix!

Lots of this for me especially in the last few days.

I had yesterday extended periods of no autopilot function at all, albeit in pretty bad weather. Then today I find I have "blindspot detection limited" all the time despite a clean car and clear dry weather. There is condensation behind the B-pillar camera glass. I have that message a lot, mainly when there is some rain or wet on the ground but it seems to need only the merest hint of rain to do it and does it sometimes when it's clear and dry too. I'm starting to think this is a service issue, it happens that much. I'd have thought they could've built these camera housings as fully sealed units.

Hi, has anyone has any problems with condensation within the cameras? First real drive out today and the cruise kept cutting off stating that there was an obstruction (call service centre if this persists message) and looking at the front there is a large amount of condensation on the screen in front of the cameras. I also have it in the camera on the drivers side pillar. See pics. This does not seem a straightforward fix? Any thoughts?

20191002_102437.jpg

20191002_102157.jpg

20191002_103231.jpg

Yes.

Blindspot monitoring and Lane Departure avoidance errors
Blindspot monitoring and Lane Departure avoidance errors | Tesla

My P3- has been in Heathrow SC for the last week trying to fix this amongst other things (paint issues, misted light clusters, roof glass mis-alignment, bumper mis-alignment). Still waiting for news on completion despite the estimate for completion being last Wed .... as well as the wrong model being listed on the V5

Went to inspect my 2018 model S (should have been vehicle hand over, but didn't happen!)

Both B pillar cameras full of condensation. I was told same thing: will clear when you run the a/c. Of course dehumidifying the air inside will eventually help, but the issue is that when humid air is trapped inside (like every time the floor mats get wet, rain soaked jackets come into the car, your wet dog gets in the car, or even whenever general humidity levels are high) and the outside temperature drops, you will get condensation in those camera windows.

This strikes me as a potential safety issue, especially as FSD eventually finds its way on to more cars. Changes in inside and outside temperature happen all the time - sometimes suddenly and extremely. This will be a nightmare for image processing to deal with as it must surely increase the chance of mis-processing of unpredictable images (eg: impression of fog only on one side of car, sudden loss of image due to Sun glare on condensation).

Just like automatic cabin temperature adjustment (to deal with using consumer grade electronics in a harsh vehicle environment), do we now need to see automatic humidity control to deal with poor sensor design? And should range figures take into account having to run a/c all the time, just in case? Does the car have a recirculation mode for a/c - because in other cars I have found that this can lead to rapid changes in cabin humidity levels under certain circumstances.

This might not effect cars in Southern California, but there are different climates that cars can be driven in!

I would really like to hear experience of owners in other colder climates - Norway / Sweden.

Last edited:
My S was fine all last winter but the last several weeks I've been getting the blindspot warning and pulled over to check whenever possible. Its always one or both B pillar cameras with condensation. I have a string of phone pics and dashcam records and notes re weather, road conditions, time/date etc. Yesterday I did two runs over an hour long each with heaters on without probs but got the warning again today. I've also had the warning persist on one ocassion for over 30 mins, park and 30 mins back - as in heating system doesn't clear it easily and personally I can't see that any in-car heating can be designed to do so. Service requested.
I guess like British rail this will be the wrong sort of rain or snow.