Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camera dead on arrival?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my shiny new Model 3 on Thurs and am delighted with it so far, except for one thing: the left-hand camera on the front wing seems to be dead. It doesn't appear in the camera views and i get a warning about autopilot camera being unavailable. Annoying that I didn't notice this before driving away. (Well, I did notice the warning, but I know they need to calibrate so I assumed it was because of that.)

I've tried a reboot with and without the brake pedal, and that doesn't help. Not a good start, but I had read and watched enough to know what I was getting into :)

So it's booked back in to the service centre, but if anyone has any other suggestions in the meantime, I'd be grateful. Otherwise I won't be able to try autopilot for my first two weeks of ownership ... !

I'm assuming the slightly scary-sounding deep reset which involves disconnecting the high-voltage battery is unlikely to fix anything? I'm guessing it's a wiring fault or a dead camera unit?

Same thing happened to me in September - the camera was faulty and missing one of the metal bars that attach to the car wiring. There would have been no reset that would have resolved that - had to just wait for the repair. It didn't need a SC visit though, the ranger was able to do the repair in about 10 minutes.

If you can get them to come to you that might speed up this important repair. I wouldn't do the major reset on a three day old car for this-if anything is wrong they'll try to pin it on you, I would imagine.

The driver side repeater camera on my refreshed M3 LR was DOA when I picked up the car in November. Mobile service came to replace it a couple of weeks later. Great service. Then last Friday the passenger side repeater camera suddenly failed mid journey. Just as I was about to test out autopilot. Repair booked for Jan 5th.