Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camera error in bright sun

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been getting an intermittent error that says "left door pillar camera blocked or blinded". This seems to happen on the driver's side only, and only when that side of the car is facing the sun. This does not seem like normal behavior. However once I'm out of the direct sunlight, the error message goes away. Should I be concerned? And yes, the door pillar was clean at the time the error message popped up.

Tesla camera error.jpg

There are known instances where condensation builds up on the inside of the glass, cover the camera. It seems to be most common when there is a rapid change in temperature and sun is hitting that area. Per Tesla, this is by design.

It should go away on it's own but I've read cases where the camera is still obstructed. I would pull over and give that a look after you get the message. If you see it, I wouldn't worry about it unless it doesn't go away.

There are known instances where condensation builds up on the inside of the glass, cover the camera. It seems to be most common when there is a rapid change in temperature and sun is hitting that area. Per Tesla, this is by design.

It should go away on it's own but I've read cases where the camera is still obstructed. I would pull over and give that a look after you get the message. If you see it, I wouldn't worry about it unless it doesn't go away.
I will check it next time by pulling over.

I’ve pulled over to check …. Never have seen anything. I get the exact same message on my passenger side, fairly regularly, when the sun is in the “right” place. Usually the message disappears within a few seconds. I think sometimes the message can be triggered by a very brief sun-glare event …… perhaps only for an instant ……. Which triggers the alert …… which then disappears pretty quickly (maybe once the computer cycles around to checking the status of that camera again).

The events that last longer are the condensation ones …. Because you gotta wait for the condensation to evaporate. There are some threads about defrosting the car to speed that up, but it will eventually correct itself.

You should only need to worry about it if the message persists for a very long time, or it results in long periods when certain autopilot or safety functions are disabled.

Reactions: TheLex