Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camera for rear facing jump seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those rear facing seats are for approx 6 to 9 year olds. They do not take car seats.

You probably don't need a camera for an 8 year old. Well, hopefully not.

My boys will be 4 yo by the time we get the car, they're on booster seats now (no longer on toddler car seats). I've sat them both on the demo seats on the beta displayed at NAIAS earlier this year and they fit well. I hope to get 4-5 years of use of these seats (hope they don't grow too fast!).

And as others have pointed out, each one of them alone = peace and quiet; sitting next to each other in the back seat = trouble. Now add to this the fact that they will be out of sight in the jump seats --> hence my request for some form of visual monotoring! (I can see you!! Give that toy back to your brother!)

Bonnie, the Enforcer
attachment.php?attachmentid=4964&d=1332445729.jpg

shush, you.

Now to get back on topic. :)

I DO want a camera in the back of the X. That would be awesome. And yes, I'd use it to see what the dogs are up to. I have one dog who doesn't do well traveling - it's stressful for her. It would be nice to be able to monitor what's going on. The other two could have a bomb go off next to them & they wouldn't care.

I used to have a Volvo 740 wagon that had the jump seats in the back. That camera would have been very helpful in ferrying Boy Scouts to baseball games - so makes perfect sense to have that as an option with the S.

So you need a camera to find out when your kids start fighting in the rear seats? Honest? I usually get it after a few seconds, when one gets hit on the nose or bite the other one in the finger :eek: Then things become noisy.
What improvement does a camera bring exactly? Would you wind it back a few seconds and repeat in slo-mo to judge who started it?

If you need a real-time picture, try an additional mirror attached to the hatch.

I plan to never drive Model S with just my kids and no other adult that can tend towards them. If the 3rd row is occupied, that might very well mean my accompanying adult doesn't ride shot gun but is in the 2nd row, handing out drinks, sandwiches, paper towels, or cartoon books. Plus do the occasional peace keeping.

So you need a camera to find out when your kids start fighting in the rear seats? Honest? I usually get it after a few seconds, when one gets hit on the nose or bite the other one in the finger :eek: Then things become noisy.
What improvement does a camera bring exactly? Would you wind it back a few seconds and repeat in slo-mo to judge who started it?

If you need a real-time picture, try an additional mirror attached to the hatch.

I plan to never drive Model S with just my kids and no other adult that can tend towards them. If the 3rd row is occupied, that might very well mean my accompanying adult doesn't ride shot gun but is in the 2nd row, handing out drinks, sandwiches, paper towels, or cartoon books. Plus do the occasional peace keeping.

VolkerP, this camera idea is more a "want", not a "need".
I unfortunately do not have the luxury of an extra adult to sit on the second row and most of the time I will ride with my kids in the back without adult assistance/supervision. Being able to see the kids back there is a nice plus (I'd rather intervene early with a verbal admonishment than wait for the bloody nose! And a replay feature would indeed be very cool! :cool:).
As far as a mirror on the hatch goes, it would accomplish the mission but it would need to be a pretty sizeable mirror to be functional for this purpose, not esthetically pleasing, way more elegant to have a camera solution especially since the hardware is already there. This car is a computer on wheels! :wink:

Camera for Rear Jump Seats

Would it be feasible to install a seperate rearview HD camera in the interior of the trunk right below the speaker and wire that into a switch that can flip the the video input source from the rearview camera to the the rear seat camera to view it on the 17 inch screen. Love the jump seats but my wife would like to be able to look at the kids especially since they are only 3 and you can't even see their heads once seated. Alternatively, I ordered an integrated rearview mirror which has a forward facing dashcam and integrated rearview camera image built into the mirror. I was going to wire it to a separate switch so that the image comes on the camera with a switch rather than reverse gear. This way, you can view the rear contents at any time. However, I think it would look much nicer fully integrated into the main display screen and I was thinking a video toggle switch may be the way to go. On the other hand, I would be surprised if Tesla doesn't introduce something like this down the road. Would appreciate any thoughts, suggestions, or comments.

Thanks for the links. Lots of discussion but no real suggestions or solutions. Thought I would try to open up the topic again now that more people have experience with their cars and modifications. I'm planning on doing a laser jammers install next weekend so will be accessing the trunk so I thought it might be good to do all this at once.

As usual I'd recommend speaking to somebody at Tesla and see what their official response about this is - they could be working on this as an accessory as we speak(type). If they aren't - then I'm sure they'd look into it if every single Model S owner that has chimed in on this issue bugged them about it. Elon did say he's focusing on service anyway so I'm sure making enough noise would get some attention from the guy.

Camera for Rear Jump Seats

Anyone found a simple mirror that works? The ones I've seen are meant to be strapped to a back seat headrest for looking into a rear-facing infant seat so don't work on the trunk hatch. Sometimes I take short trips with just our 4 year old and the only way to see her is to look at the reflection of the top of her head in the pano roof, which I can really only do at red lights.