TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Camera for Rearview Seats

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by nkohlimd, Apr 14, 2013.

1. nkohlimd

nkohlimd Member

Ordered my P85 with rear seats hopefully to be delivered in May. Getting ready for modifications and my wife wants to be able to watch our 3 year old twins in the rear jump seats. Was thinking of installing the following which includes dash cam and would use the rear camera to monitor the jump seats upon press of a dashboard switch-any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. thanks

Wholesale Car Rearview Mirror DVR - Dashcam Rearview Mirror From China

2. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

You might want to look at this option:

LUXURY BLACK - BLACKVUE

You could stream live over wifi to your phone, iPad, etc.

3. Rodolfo Paiz

Rodolfo Paiz P85 "Plug and Play"

Hmm... interesting thoughts. I'm actually searching for something a little different, like a video intercom. I'd love to be able to see my kids, but I'd appreciate even more the ability to talk to them or hear them without having to mute the music and raise my voice.

4. orlando

orlando Member

the rearview mirror on the tesla is really nice - you will likely not want to sully it with an aftermarket one... I too would like this ability... Perhaps somebody will figure out a way to hack in more cameras with a switch (e.g., switch between rearview, frontview, and children)

5. nkohlimd

nkohlimd Member

Thanks for the feedback-will wait till I get the car and check out the mirror before making any alterations. Could use a second screen but the need to Find another location to mount. The mirror is fully reversible and only $250 so little risk except for losing autodim function.

6. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

Why wouldn't a simple mirror, attached to rear glass accomplish this for about $25?? Parents have used that form factor for eons, myself included...

7. kvietor

kvietor Model S S280 VIN 168

@spatterso911, that's what I'm currently using and it works great.

8. mdelpin

mdelpin Member

I just found our old one when I was cleaning up and I was going to yard sale it but maybe I will give this a try instead :).