Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camera range and simulation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2021 Model 3. The on screen simulation shows vehicles that are 4-5 car lengths ahead, but the side cameras only seem to pick up vehicles that, if I had to guess, were less than 2 car lengths behind. Today, I was thinking of changing lanes and noticed a car in my side mirror that wasn't viewable on the screen.
Seems odd (okay, dangerous) that the more important view, cars coming up from the sides, is more limited. I know I can pinch to zoom out and rotate the screen around, etc., which in and of itself is dangerous as it requires driver to focus on the screen. I rarely do that (for safety reasons) so I don't know if that would show the vehicles to my flank.
Is there any reason for this? (I realize I'm not asking Tesla engineers) Wouldn't it make sense to have the default view be zoomed out so it could include more of the vehicles to the side? (yes, I know there's a new display coming in a soon to be released update)
Thanks!

If you put your directional on the lane markers on the display would have turned red to tell you there was a car coming that was out of view. I agree, not the best blind-spot warning system out there but better than nothing.

Reactions: haroldo
My guess (not as a Tesla engineer haha but just watching the progression over the years of the visualization), is that for safety reasons the visualization was never to be focused on. As a result, the visualization doesn’t show everything that the car sees, like cars two lanes over. Blind spot warnings appeared maybe a couple years ago but is just the lane line & the other vehicle turning red on that side of the car visualization & an audible ding (when it works).

Reactions: haroldo