Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camera read IL Rt 83 sign as 85 MPH sign!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scottf200

Feb 3, 2013
Chicagoland
Was driving on IL Route 83 today and noticed my X was displaying an 85 mph sign on the drivers info display. Yikes.

Illinois Route 83 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is what the sign look like along that route.
Image: http://i.imgur.com/MGKNLGz.png
MGKNLGz.png

My driver info display today:
Image: http://i.imgur.com/VuQTpQy.png
VuQTpQy.png

I think a better question is why does Illinois make their route signs look identical to a speed limit sign?

Indiana's are the same, too.

That said, the Model X will occasionally read this sign:

Screen-Shot-2013-07-30-at-7.25.49-AM-595x1024.png

...as a 50 mph sign. There's some tuning that MobilEye & Tesla need to do, I think.

-c

The other night it read a 45 mph sign as a 5 mph speed limit.

The "4" was a different material placed over the original number. I noticed at night it did not reflect the same as the 5. Suspect that was the reason why AP read it as 5 mph (not 45).

I'll try to get a pic next time that happens.

The very same thing happens with me in Noprth Florida while driving on Hwy 20. It's a repeatable experiment. Car immediately slows down from 55 to 20. Less frequently, the speed limit (35 mph) sign on another road is read as 5 MPH. I didn't think the cruise control could work below about 18 MPH, but twice, it has slowed toward 5 MPH before I was able to override the AutoPilot.

The very same thing happens with me in Noprth Florida while driving on Hwy 20. It's a repeatable experiment. Car immediately slows down from 55 to 20. Less frequently, the speed limit (35 mph) sign on another road is read as 5 MPH. I didn't think the cruise control could work below about 18 MPH, but twice, it has slowed toward 5 MPH before I was able to override the AutoPilot.

Same in Ohio on OH 25 and OH 65. I drive manually on Rte 281 and 582 ;)