Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camera(s) blocked or blinded

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can swipe it to the left and it shrinks down (for a while)
Not for me. The old message could be swiped away. This one for me will not move at all.

Still getting the message, I've scheduled a SC appointment. My last journey was 30 miles long and I had the message for nearly the entirety of the trip. Weather was dry and not that cold.

Had left pillar camera warnings several times yesterday. In my case I think it's because there was a wide open space on the left side of the car and it was night time - so there was nothing for the car to see and it won't be lit up by headlights.

+1 on low winter sun causing it. I’m sure there are other causes people are seeing above, but I had It yesterday due to sun blinding.

It was low sun in the south blinding the LHS B pillar camera when not in shade - and it cleared once I turned north.

Someone asked about accessing the camera output to diagnose. Does saving the dashcam include side camera outputs or do mis-remember? Depends which camera is your problem though...

I had this a lot on the daylight part of a 2 hour trip yesterday. I have also only recently noticed condensation behind the B pillar camera glass as well.
Could be any combination of the current very wet weather, low sun (when there is some!), condensation, software upgrade and other factors.

I'm not too bothered about it as I don't use AP but I'd like to be able to clear the message at least.

I also get this, and was about to ask if other do too. No need it seems!

I've identified two causes:
1) Low winter sun. Driving 10 miles down the M40 with the sun on my right the right pillar camera was blinded all journey. On the return journey, guess what, the left pillar was blinded
2) The cameras are scared of the dark. I get this (although only on the left) at night on country roads, the dark high hedgerows seem to cause an issue. As soon as you enter a lit stretch, village or built up area the warning goes away.

Neither seem to cause any problem to the operation of the car so I just ignore them now.

I was struggling with this a lot (left camera issue).

Now I don’t want to curse this and I’m not saying this is the magic cure...but what the heck. My issues disappeared when i noticed the factory protective film had been left on that particular pillar. I have now removed it and have not had one fault since (3 weeks and c.1,000 miles ago).

Worth checking as it was the liquid in between the film that was causing the condensation problems. The film was almost invisible so was obviously missed by the service centre (and me until I noticed water got behind whilst washing the car).

Anyway, it was either that, a software update, or simply washing the car which fixed it. Take your pick!

Moderator comment - thread renamed from "Left door pillar camera blocked (country lanes)"

Hi All, i've noticed a few times now when driving in the pitch black that I get an error message:

Left door pillar camera blocked

I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue? I presume this isnt normal? as i'd expect both cameras to fail so looking to add it on to the list of other issues I have, so will log them all on the service app.

Last edited by a moderator:
The message is worded wrong, really. X pillar blocked or blinded covers when the camera is actually blinded by the sun or something, or when it can't see anything/enough at all, and can't tell the difference between being actually blocked or it just being too dark to see.

Thanks all, won't bother for now. I did notice one of the cameras (can't remember which one) had condesation under the glass, but the other one didn't. Is that something I should expect or get it looked at under warranty (once i can get a pic of it next time for proof).

I get this problem of one or both door pillar cameras being 'blocked or blinded' from time to time, particularly when the sun is bright and low in the sky. It is made worse if there is any condensation droplets inside or outside the glass on the door pillar in front of the camera. It usually is transient however and clears up by itself as you drive, but it is definitely annoying.

I have wondered about things that could be done to mitigate the problem. For example, having a small lip / visor over top area above the camera to act as a sun shade, but without obscuring the view the camera needs to get of the front and side areas!? Maybe some sort of silica pouch could also be used to absorb moisture inside the glass and prevent it condensing on the glass and refracting light, which I think is a frequent cause of blinding the camera transiently, especially on damp, foggy days. Anyone got better suggestions?

Thanks all, won't bother for now. I did notice one of the cameras (can't remember which one) had condesation under the glass, but the other one didn't. Is that something I should expect or get it looked at under warranty (once i can get a pic of it next time for proof).
A bit is normal sadly in damp conditions they are not sealed. HVAC should clear it in a few minutes. If it persists longer then it could be a problem