Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camera upgrade gone wrong?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the free FSD camera upgrade on my 2017 X last Friday.

At the end of the appointment, the mobile tech mentioned that one of the cameras he was given was the wrong model (for latest S/X supposedly) and that he would come back Monday with the right one. Over the weekend, I looked at Sentry footage and the cameras were noticeably clearer with colors more vivid.

After the Monday visit where the one camera was replaced, it feel like it went back to lower, washed out picture quality. I looked at the model numbers on the left and right cameras and they are not the same. It could just for be for left and right but the numbers are quite different. See photos.

How can I tell that they upgraded all my cameras correctly?

IMG_0016.jpeg
IMG_0017.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0016.jpeg
    IMG_0016.jpeg
    335.7 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Hey all. A bit more information here. Here are two screen grabs from the car's camera footage. First one is from the left and is the one I'm wondering whether or not it was upgraded. The second one is from the right camera. Colors seem more real on the second one. Any thoughts are welcome.

Capture d’écran, le 2022-05-11 à 20.17.36.png

Capture d’écran, le 2022-05-11 à 20.18.01.jpg

Hey @steilkurve you definitely got your original camera back after the "Monday visit" 😢.

This has happened to other TMC members before, and it happens because the Tesla techs check on their internal Service software called Garage the "correct" part numbers required for your specific VIN number, but the parts list for your VIN are the parts that were installed on you vehicle from the factory. This is usually a good thing as Tesla makes constant changes to their production line, and by inventorying the parts that originally came with your Tesla, they are able to avoid a part incompatibility when servicing the vehicle. Unfortunately they usually mess up things when upgrading components.

I looked at the model numbers

The part numbers are listed inside the camera housing and the only way to see them is by removing them from the vehicle, and they are designed for them to break when removed.

I suggest you check the part numbers listed on your service invoice and make a new appointment through your Tesla app.
According to the Tesla Online Part's Catalog, the most recent side repeaters part numbers for the legacy Model X' are:
  1. LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER CAMERA, LEFT: 1495866-22-C
  2. LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER CAMERA, RIGHT: 1495867-22-C
Other people here are getting side repeaters numbers: 1642010-00-A and 1642011-00-A that are also correct for FSD but they are not the latest part numbers.

You should also check your front facing camera Dashcam/Sentry videos, as Tesla was also installing the wrong camera during the upgrade. The new part number installed should be: MS/X INLINE TRIPLE CAM 1120520-00-B.

Hey @steilkurve you definitely got your original camera back after the "Monday visit" 😢.

This has happened to other TMC members before, and it happens because the Tesla techs check on their internal Service software called Garage the "correct" part numbers required for your specific VIN number, but the parts list for your VIN are the parts that were installed on you vehicle from the factory. This is usually a good thing as Tesla makes constant changes to their production line, and by inventorying the parts that originally came with your Tesla, they are able to avoid a part incompatibility when servicing the vehicle. Unfortunately they usually mess up things when upgrading components.

The part numbers are listed inside the camera housing and the only way to see them is by removing them from the vehicle, and they are designed for them to break when removed.

I suggest you check the part numbers listed on your service invoice and make a new appointment through your Tesla app.
According to the Tesla Online Part's Catalog, the most recent side repeaters part numbers for the legacy Model X' are:
  1. LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER CAMERA, LEFT: 1495866-22-C
  2. LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER CAMERA, RIGHT: 1495867-22-C
Other people here are getting side repeaters numbers: 1642010-00-A and 1642011-00-A that are also correct for FSD but they are not the latest part numbers.

You should also check your front facing camera Dashcam/Sentry videos, as Tesla was also installing the wrong camera during the upgrade. The new part number installed should be: MS/X INLINE TRIPLE CAM 1120520-00-B.
Do you know if they upgrade all 8 cameras on the car or some specific ones? Any software installation is necessary or is it just plug and play? Can we just order the part numbers listed and upgrade ourselves? Any ideas on this?

They upgrade the front inline triple camera, both side repeaters and both B-pillar cameras. In other words, all except the backup camera. A software update is required, but you can stage it beforehand if you live near a Service Center, and yes, you can order the parts yourself via the Tesla app, by creating a service appointment with the parts you require. Bear in mind that some cameras may not be available as Over-the-counter parts and may be restricted to Tesla only...

Tesla service is trash. I just went through the same sh@t. Got my camera upgrade back in Feb. was all pumped up waited some months No FSD. Then I started to do research of part numbers. Thanks to the community for tracking stuff, they installed the wrong repeater cams. Seems they do this a lot. Just got them replaced yesterday. It has the right part number on the invoice this time. I guess I will have to wait till Elon’s minions push the button again. Service center suck. Even if you call they have no clue. You basically have to tell them to swap it with these part numbers. They will do it because they have no clue what they are doing. Super sad.

Tesla service is trash. I just went through the same sh@t. Got my camera upgrade back in Feb. was all pumped up waited some months No FSD. Then I started to do research of part numbers. Thanks to the community for tracking stuff, they installed the wrong repeater cams. Seems they do this a lot. Just got them replaced yesterday. It has the right part number on the invoice this time. I guess I will have to wait till Elon’s minions push the button again. Service center suck. Even if you call they have no clue. You basically have to tell them to swap it with these part numbers. They will do it because they have no clue what they are doing. Super sad.
I just got FSD beta. I was right about the camera. Check the communities spreadsheet for part numbers. Thanks to all who provided there input

Reactions: Art VandeIay
Can you share the right parts I need to be looking for? We’re upgrading ours soon.